Wade Phillips on Bill Bradley, Bum Phillips to Speak at LU Football Banquet

BRI Staff

Not that Lamar Ray Woodard needs to be told what a good move he was able to pull off by bringing in Bill Bradley as his defensive coordinator, but he got a double thumbs up from Houston Texans’ defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. “I was really pleased to hear that,” said Wade, who as head coach of the Buffalo Bills brought in Bradley from the CFL to be his secondary coach. “Any time you get a guy with that kind of experience, it’s a positive for your program. Bill is everything you want in a coach, starting with the fact he’s very good with players. They will love him. He’ll also be good with the fans. The guy is a Texas legend, not just a UT legend, but a Texas legend. It’s a good match and a great hire for the program. And he knows the 3-4 defense we run as well as anybody.” . . . Woodard seems to be a on roll these days. Looking to try and match or top having Dan Reeves as the speaker for the Cardinals’ Kickoff Banquet last August, he sweet talked Bum Phillips into doing it. Bum, of course, in addition to all his other honors, is a member of Lamar’s Hall of Honor. “My goal was to get either Bum or Jimmy Johnson and Bum agreed to do it,” Woodard said. “I’m thrilled. He will be a big hit at our meet and greet and I’m anxious to show him our facilities. I’d invite Wade to come, too, but that’s pretty close to the start of the Texans’ season. It’s a busy time for him.”

LINK: Bob West

Guest CardAmbassador
I really like that the guy who has perfected the 3-4 defense says our new coach is an expert on it. Hopefully our Defense will see a huge improvement under Bradley. Maybe we will have a Texans like turnaround as far as defense goes. :cheer:

Nice article by West this week. He has really been supportive of LU Basketball this year, and has been doing a good job with giving the football team some positive spin. Woodard's idea of bringing in the 2 local coaching legends, Bum & Jimmy Johnson, is really good. Maybe he can get Jimmy in here next year.

Guest bigred360
Great thing about the 3-4 is you only need a few really big guys which at Lamar's level (FCS) is hard to do. This defense plays with a NG and he needs to be over 300 lbs because he job is to control the center and occupy another lineman so the LB can run freely. Our DE's are big enough.

Guest NorthoftheBorder
Great thing about the 3-4 is you only need a few really big guys which at Lamar's level (FCS) is hard to do. This defense plays with a NG and he needs to be over 300 lbs because he job is to control the center and occupy another lineman so the LB can run freely. Our DE's are big enough.

I think the 3-4 suits our DL & LB personell better and should allow for improved play in those two areas.

Guest papabear

The trend in both college and the NFL has been going away from the HUGE interior lineman anyway. Traditional 3-4 teams needed a monster NT to clog up the middle, but in 3-4 that Wade Phillips run he likes his NT to be more of the 1-gap penetrating type...although Wade has gone both directions there. There's wasn't a lot of college teams running a 3-4 defense 5-10 years ago, but that seems to be changing. All of this stuff goes in cycles...I'd rather be on the front end of the cycle than the back.

I'm a big fan of the 4-2-5 as a base set with the way college offenses are these days, but the key is always to have a well designed scheme that matches up with what your personnel do well. With some of the guys we have on staff that shouldn't be a problem.