Defensive staff attend Texans OTA's

Mike

My friend Evan West who's currently interning in Houston for a local sports station spotted some of the Lamar defensive staff members taking in the Texans practices. I'm sure this is a Wade Phillips/Bill Bradley connection as they worked together in San Diego.

Guest CardAmbassador

It's good to have our defensive coordinator visiting and having a good connection with the king of the 3-4 defense.

I remember Bob West (different than our own Evan West) wrote a column on the connection between Bradley and Phillips. As I recall, there was nothing but praise for Bradley. Really hope this translate into a much better defense this year.

Guest eagle eye
Let's face it, the defense can't be much worse! The fact is, if Bradley is a disciple of Wade Phillips that's a pretty good referrence. A coach can make a world of difference in the performance of a unit. Look at the transformation of the Texans defense in one year after Wade Phillips took over. In another thread someone wrote one of their expectations was to avoid the huge blowout losses Lamar suffered last year. I would feel pretty safe saying that Lamar won't have to endure any 50+ or 60 point losses in 2012. In fact, a better D can actually translate into a couple more wins!

A tweet today from sports editor of the Galveston County News Jordan Godwin:

"Texans defensive coordinator and Orange native Wade Phillips on his connections to Lamar University....

"I've known Ray Woodard a long time and a few other guys on that staff. Plus, my wife went there so we're really excited about the team."

Called Coach Woodard tonight and asked him about sending the staff to attend the Texans OTA's and he said it was long overdue. Coach Bradley is close to Wade Phillips and with the team switching to the 3-4 this year defensively it only helps them to head to Houston and watch Phillips and his staff. He told me the defensive terminology used is the same with Phillips and Coach Bradley so it benefitted them to attend and observe.

All but Coach McKnight, Johnson and Woodard were there today and Coach said he is expected to make it to Houston for the Texans mini camp.