Welcone Lamar Fans to Lafayette

Hope to see a lot of Cardinal Fans at the first football game of the year here is Lafayette. Should be a lot of red for both sides that day. Come down for a great day of tailgaiting and football. Remember years ago making the trip to Beaumont to watch Cajunc play Cardinals.

:>)

CC

Looking forward to the game.

Even though I'm a Lamar fan, we had season tickets to Ragin Cajun football and basketball the three years we had the pleasure of living in Lafayette. A lot of good times, good food, and most importantly ... good people. We saw the last football game between the Cards and the Cajuns. I hope we get to see the one this year. I was so glad when we switched our game from Ruston to Lafayette. The game in Ruston would have been good, but I'm really looking forward to our game in Lafayette this year.

Had great times making the trip to Lafayette for basketball in years past. Even though it wasn't quite as nice as the Cajun Dome, we loved the games in Blackham Coliseum.

Having played baseball at Lamar from '04-'06 i always enjoyed our ULL games. They would hound the hell out of you all day and then give you food and beer after the game. I expect no different opening weekend. I hope its a good game but i know it will be a great enviroment. Everyone be safe and enjoy the game. Hope its a sellout.

Cplatt

Hope to see a lot of Cardinal Fans at the first football game of the year here is Lafayette. Should be a lot of red for both sides that day. Come down for a great day of tailgaiting and football. Remember years ago making the trip to Beaumont to watch Cajunc play Cardinals.

CC

Thanks for joining and posting CC.

I have family in in the surrounding area near Lafayette so I'm going to try to make the game, looking forward to it.

Guest NorthoftheBorder
Hey CC, a lot of Cardinal fans (not all) would love to move back to the Sun Belt. See if you can drum up some support a Cajun country to help make that happen. Would love to renew the rivalry with the the Cajuns!!!

With all this conference shifting going on anything is possible. Would like to see yall instead of UL Monroe. Lafayette to Beaumont is a easy drive . How many people do yall aniticipate making the trip. First game and we are all 0-0, so makes it exciting. I was at the New Orleans Bowl and when the winning field goal went thru it is a feeling I will always remember . :>)

CC

Guest Crawfish

As a dual fan (I attended Lamar, but lived in Lafayette for 25 years), this is a day I dreamed about. My daughter graduated from UL. Unfortunately, I am stuck out here on the Left Coast and I will be unable to attend.

Anyway, As I have stated in another thread, if you go you will have fun. I believe the game will be a sellout because of the season the Cajuns had last year and the fact that Cardinal fans have such a short drive to be there. I would get my tickets early and if they are general admission, arrive early. I would try not to sit right next to the "Red Zone" student section. Parking may be an issue also, but there is plenty parking around, you may just have to walk a ways.

The Cajuns look to be pretty good this year, especially on offense. Having said that, you never know how an team will come out in the opener.

Does anyone know if the Cardinal Club still sponsors buses to away games? If I remember correctly, they had some for games to Lafayette and Lake Charles in the old days. I think it was a package deal with transportation and tickets. We took advantage of the bus to a lot of out of town games when we still lived in Beaumont It was a great way to go to the game ... the passengers had a good time with someone else responsible for the driving.

It would be nice to have a caravan of buses full of Big Red fans invade Lafayette. Might be able to work out a mass tailgate along with it.

Guest bigredfan2

Does anyone know if the Cardinal Club still sponsors buses to away games? If I remember correctly, they had some for games to Lafayette and Lake Charles in the old days. I think it was a package deal with transportation and tickets. We took advantage of the bus to a lot of out of town games when we still lived in Beaumont It was a great way to go to the game ... the passengers had a good time with someone else responsible for the driving.

It would be nice to have a caravan of buses full of Big Red fans invade Lafayette. Might be able to work out a mass tailgate along with it.

I think the key issue for a Cardinal Club sponsored bus is interest. In recent years with the basketball seasons and list would be put out to sign up and not enough people would sign up.

I do not know why the buses were not used during football season. I know that it would have been nice to have buses the last two seasons. Like is it was mentioned there is a lot of walking and some cases climbing of hill (SFA) to get to and fro the parking. Curb side drop off and pick up would be nice.

The use of golf carts at home games would be helpful for those that find it difficult to make the long walks. I think that this is done some, but a bigger effort could be made.

As for as buses for ULL game and others, make you need known to Brad McGowan. I would make it early.

• 2 weeks later...

CC

Friends - Reading on our Cajun Boards, Coach Hud at our Sun Belt conference in New Orleans is challenging all Cajun fans to make our game with Tulane to have over 50 thousand people. Tulane would need to bring at least 5000 according to some Cajun fans. I want the first game between Cajuns and Cardindals to be special also. How may fans realistically do yall think can make the trip dwn I-10 You will not regret it. We will have a huge crown regardless but come on down .

CC

Guest CardAmbassador

I'm not sure about 5k, I think tops 4k more realistic might be 3k. I think if things had gone well last year the story would be different. That's just speculation/guestimation on my part.

That's still a good travel group though. Many fans of Lamar that were fans in the 80s and earlier remember ULL so they will have this game circled.

Many fans of Lamar that were fans in the 80s and earlier remember ULL so they will have this game circled.

That will be us. We remember and wouldn't miss this game for nothing. We will have about 12 crazy Cardinal fans traveling with us.

I'll be there! Cruising through Beaumont picking up a few friends and heading on down I-10. We were in The Sun Belt when I went to LU in the 90's so I remember USL. Basketball games were always fun to go to there and it was getting to be a good rivalry before we changed back.

We will be heading up another LU Tailgate like we did last year at Texas State, will talk about it more as the game gets closer.

Guest NorthoftheBorder

CC

Friends - Reading on our Cajun Boards, Coach Hud at our Sun Belt conference in New Orleans is challenging all Cajun fans to make our game with Tulane to have over 50 thousand people. Tulane would need to bring at least 5000 according to some Cajun fans. I want the first game between Cajuns and Cardindals to be special also. How may fans realistically do yall think can make the trip dwn I-10 You will not regret it. We will have a huge crown regardless but come on down .

CC

So you guys are trying to get 50k attendance at Cajun Field in Lafayette for Tulane? Stadium capacity if 31k but you have both end zones in grass. Largest attendance is 41k+. Where will you put the other 10k?

CC

CC

I'll be flying from Dallas. I'm sure I'll be able to find a Cardinal fan to pick me up at the airport.

Guest Crawfish

First I will say that 50K will be difficult because the fire marshal might get involved. Having said that, when the green areas behind the goal post are full, there are normally empty seats in the corners of the upper deck. When the Cajuns have 29K there are always people sitting in the end zones so there are always plenty of available seating on the east side and in the corners of the upper deck because the green space is not counted in the 31.5 capacity. I am not real sure about whether they would actually sell 50K tickets though, because I think they might want to stop in the early 40K range as they did with the Southern game a couple of years back. There should be room for all of the Cardinal fans that can get there though, but I would arrive early and stay away from the student sections (Red Zone.) I would also probably recommend that you plan on parking at Blackham Coliseum because all of the parking on the West Side of the stadium will be reserved for RCAF foundation members ($250+ donors) this year. There is some open parking available on the East side (Cajun Dome Blvd side) but it will fill up fast. It is a short walk from Blackham to the Stadium. There will probably be an area set aside for Cardinal Tailgaters, but please do not miss the tailgating that will be going on the West side of the stadium. They do a good job and visitors are always welcome. Actually, barring weather issues, in reality I would anticipate a near sellout, but not much more than that (around 31K)

Man I wish I could be there…