Power 5 Conferences Hint at New Division

BigRed98

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9499740/is-college-football-big-five-conferences-split-ncaa

I have a feeling that larger FCS schools like Lamar and SHSU are really going to be left behind if this split happens. I feel that the large schools like UT and TAMU need this, but LU, as an FCS school, would basically be a Div II school if this were to happen. We would need to get to the mid major level (FBS) to maintain any semblence of recognition for the university. I also feel recruiting would take a step backwards as potential recruits would then see FCS as an even lower level than they do now.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9499740/is-college-football-big-five-conferences-split-ncaa

I have a feeling that larger FCS schools like Lamar and SHSU are really going to be left behind if this split happens. I feel that the large schools like UT and TAMU need this, but LU, as an FCS school, would basically be a Div II school if this were to happen. We would need to get to the mid major level (FBS) to maintain any semblence of recognition for the university. I also feel recruiting would take a step backwards as potential recruits would then see FCS as an even lower level than they do now.

It's more than a hint, big changes may already be underway:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130725/college-sports-braces-for-more-change/?sct=cf_t11_a0

The Sun Belt needs to wake up, they're not going to get either JMU or Missouri State. LU's the best choice for expansion.

Lamar just needs to get their foot in the door somewhere meaningful. If the Sun Belt will take Lamar, lets do it and show them how good of a program we are building. We are top in conference in facilitites, great education, solid teams and a budget that can compete. Plus we have great potential. Hopefully Dr. Evans's background in Marketing will help drive funding and enrollment. Cross your fingers on a good season.

Cplatt

Guest bigred365

Leadership at Lamar and the TSUS has to believe making a move to that highest level of college sports is in the best interest of the school and that having even a bottom tier FBS program is better than the attention you get as a FCS program and that it would enhance the university by getting the best students not only around only SE Texas, across the state and into SW Louisiana but into other states.

The average student looks at quality of life, not only academics as to where he/she wants to continue his/her academic education. For example, my nephew is a junior at a local HS currently ranked 1st in his class. Both my brother, his wife are alumnus at Lamar University. He has pretty much decided on Texas A&M! He is the type of is kids Lamar is missing. One being Alumnus it seems the Alumni Association would do a better job of not just staying in touch with potential high dollar donors but others as well. These two alumnus are the Senior Pastor and Superintendent of a local large Church and private school. The other parent was a local teacher, now over missions and her brother is an attorney with the DA in Orange. They are not millionaire's but they can effect the decisions of a great deal of people.

Another thought is will the university put the money in seriously upgrading the athletic facilities. The track complex is not the first stop on touring the athletic facilities I promise. The baseball complex has been promised a much needed renovation years ago. Then they may need to bring back swimming and either build a complex or renting BISD's complex (personally would not go that route). Then the football stadium would need to be renovated to a capacity of 30,000.

That is a lot of money but if the administration doesn't believe it would greatly effect other donations, our reputation across the nation, increase enrollment, retain students and effect student recruitment it does not matter. They will never do it!!

What is the difference between Baylor and East Texas Baptist? 5O years ago to present day, that is not obvious? Vision!!!

Guest bigredpecker

Leadership at Lamar and the TSUS has to believe making a move to that highest level of college sports is in the best interest of the school and that having even a bottom tier FBS program is better than the attention you get as a FCS program and that it would enhance the university by getting the best students not only around only SE Texas, across the state and into SW Louisiana but into other states.

The average student looks at quality of life, not only academics as to where he/she wants to continue his/her academic education. For example, my nephew is a junior at a local HS currently ranked 1st in his class. Both my brother, his wife are alumnus at Lamar University. He has pretty much decided on Texas A&M! He is the type of is kids Lamar is missing. One being Alumnus it seems the Alumni Association would do a better job of not just staying in touch with potential high dollar donors but others as well. These two alumnus are the Senior Pastor and Superintendent of a local large Church and private school. The other parent was a local teacher, now over missions and her brother is an attorney with the DA in Orange. They are not millionaire's but they can effect the decisions of a great deal of people.

Another thought is will the university put the money in seriously upgrading the athletic facilities. The track complex is not the first stop on touring the athletic facilities I promise. The baseball complex has been promised a much needed renovation years ago. Then they may need to bring back swimming and either build a complex or renting BISD's complex (personally would not go that route). Then the football stadium would need to be renovated to a capacity of 30,000.

That is a lot of money but if the administration doesn't believe it would greatly effect other donations, our reputation across the nation, increase enrollment, retain students and effect student recruitment it does not matter. They will never do it!!

What is the difference between Baylor and East Texas Baptist? 5O years ago to present day, that is not obvious? Vision!!!

the day Lamar University starts taking itself seriously then maybe the locals will fall in line, until then this is the issue that we'll see. If they continue to treat themselves as second rate so will everyone else.

It's more than a hint, big changes may already be underway:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130725/college-sports-braces-for-more-change/?sct=cf_t11_a0

The Sun Belt needs to wake up, they're not going to get either JMU or Missouri State. LU's the best choice for expansion.

I read that article earlier today. The author lost credibility with me when he mentioned some 160 schools moving to D4. Make no mistake about it, this move is about exclusion. I'd be surprised if a full 70 wound up in the new division.