Ashton Dorsey to LU??

Mike

According to Geoff Ketchum of Orangebloods.com, no DT in the Big 12 had more TFL in the last 2 years.

It would be a big get! His brother never impressed me, he had a rap for being a pansy.

His brother would have to be a prime recruiting tool in this get however.

Doesn't look like Dorsey will be coming to Lamar.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2013/08/28/ut-lineman-to-lamar/

The NCAA guidelines state the athlete has to have two years eligibility remaining in order to transfer to another D1 program and obviously Dorsey only has one year.

I know LU and Dorsey have spoken and he has interest in coming Beaumont but would require some sort of waiver from the NCAA. We should probably know one way or another in the next few days.

Dorsey can still transfer to Lamar, redshirt this year and play next year. The NCAA must grant him a waiver to play this year, which is doubtful. The Richmond Spiders had a QB transfer from Virginia this spring who was denied a waiver but he's eligible to play in 2014.

http://ursports.blogs.timesdispatch.com/2013/03/04/spiders-hope-qb-eligibility-squared-start-spring-football/

Guest NorthoftheBorder
I don't think it is a big deal if you have a BCS to FCS transfer!! You would not be competing against the same division for a conference or national championship!! NCAA needs to think this one through!!

I thought when Flanders (SHSU) transferred from K-State, it was days before school started. That's just what I had heard. Wouldn't the same rule apply?

Update: Thursday, August 29, 10:00 a.m. ET

"Dorsey has decided to transfer to Lamar, according to Chris Hummer of Sports Day DFW by way of the Dallas Morning News (h/t College Football Talk). Dorsey will be eligible to play right away for the FCS program."

Not sure how to take this

Cplatt

Here's a Transfer 101 guide from the NCAA:

http://www.ncaa.org/blog/2012/01/transfer-101

The bulk of student-athletes who transfer and do not need to sit out do so because they qualify for the one-time transfer exception. To qualify for the one-time transfer exception, a student-athlete must meet all of the following requirements:

Play a sport other than baseball, basketball, FBS football, or men

Thinking back to Dustin Long's transfer from Tx A&M to SHSU...... How did this not affect him. He was a Senior. Did he still have 2 years of eligibility? Was this rule not in place at the time?

I would imagine not since that was nearly a decade ago in 2004

I thought when Flanders (SHSU) transferred from K-State, it was days before school started. That's just what I had heard. Wouldn't the same rule apply?

It was about 1 week before the start of school, but he had multiple years of eligibility, not just one