*Rumored Lamar to FBS discussion*

LU1991

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CardAmbassador
Texas Terror and Jack of Bobcatreport.com are reporting that SHSU has announced that it will jump to FBS.

http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=952&sid=6557e6b6180f6bd8ed2378ae6a784df7&start=150

I'm not surprised. This fits with what Terror said a few weeks ago about getting the AD budget to $15 million.

Now lets see if Lamar publicly re-announces their intent to join the FBS ranks.

Yes, re-announce because Dr. Simmons has already made it clear LU wants to do the same. So now SHSU and LU are both in the running. Which conference? No one knows.

Texas Terror and Jack of Bobcatreport.com are reporting that SHSU has announced that it will jump to FBS.

http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=952&sid=6557e6b6180f6bd8ed2378ae6a784df7&start=150

I'm not surprised. This fits with what Terror said a few weeks ago about getting the AD budget to $15 million.

Yes, re-announce because Dr. Simmons has already made it clear LU wants to do the same. So now SHSU and LU are both in the running. Which conference? No one knows.

I hope you guys do too, LU fans clearly want FBS more than we do...

Guest CardAmbassador

It might seem risky now but even a lowly FBS conference is a better place than the SLC. The SLC doesn't have any attractive options outside of ACU for expansion, and even ACU would need to boost it's budget dramatically to replace TxSt.

It might seem risky now but even a lowly FBS conference is a better place than the SLC. The SLC doesn't have any attractive options outside of ACU for expansion, and even ACU would need to boost it's budget dramatically to replace TxSt.

Guest CardAmbassador

Here is something you wrote to me over a month ago:

That was a PRIVATE MESSAGE. But things change from day to day. That is what I was given over a month ago. Texas is still likely the next place of WAC expansion...

Deeply sorry, I should have checked to see if it was OK to post that, I'm very sorry. I removed it as soon as I saw your post. I just saw the message today and thought that it was probably old enough to post.

Guest LU4LIFE
We all know that Lamar publicly announced a few months back that they want to be in the FBS, but as of late they have been very tight lipped about anything that involves a conference change. If this info about SHSU is true then Lamar needs to loosen up those lips and re-announce they are open to a conference change if the opportunity presents it's self.

Guest CardAmbassador
Damn this thing gets crazier and crazier! LU and SHSU package deal to Sunbelt?

http://bobcatreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=952&start=150

Now that is a twist, I don't know the likelyhood of success but it's a twist for sure! I was aware of LU's previous overtures to SBC, but nothing had been said so I figured they fell on death ears. I wonder if they will be more interested in this?

Guest CardAmbassador
I would still rather go to the WAC

We have to take what we can get. Honestly I don't think LU should be choosy. Just get invited and rough it out. If you need to you can always realign your self later down the road with a different FBS conference. Getting to FBS is the difficult part.

We have to take what we can get. Honestly I don't think LU should be choosy. Just get invited and rough it out. If you need to you can always realign your self later down the road with a different FBS conference. Getting to FBS is the difficult part.

No arguement there, just would rather the WAC. But I think LU takes any invite that it can get.

I'm sorry but I don't see this happening but that just my opinion.

At face value I have to agree with you but remember there is a lot of shuffling that is yet to take place. The chance that of one or both of us going to the WAC is greater than both of us going to the Sunbelt. I’ve always thought that SHSU and LU were more of a package deal than people thought.

Guest LU4LIFE

At face value I have to agree with you but remember there is a lot of shuffling that is yet to take place. The chance that of one or both of us going to the WAC is greater than both of us going to the Sunbelt. I’ve always thought that SHSU and LU were more of a package deal than people thought.

I think that there would have to be a lot of shuffling around for either of us to get invited to the SBC just because everything I have read says they don't want to add FCS upgrades. Also I would have to disagree with you about LU and SHSU being a package deal IMO I think LU would join a FBS conference even if SHSU wasn't to join.

Guest LU4LIFE
I wonder if the Sunbelt board has caught wind of this yet

If they have you can guarantee there is a lot of trash talking going on.

I think that there would have to be a lot of shuffling around for either of us to get invited to the SBC just because everything I have read says they don't want to add FCS upgrades. Also I would have to disagree with you about LU and SHSU being a package deal IMO I think LU would join a FBS conference even if SHSU wasn't to join.

Never said they we were a package deal but under unique circumstances we might be acquired at the same time as a package deal. But let me say it again, we are not a package. According to Jack, SHSU was going to try to go Sunbelt with or without LU and if certain circumstances arise LU would go elsewhere without SHSU. We are by no means “tied at the hip”.

I agree with you that it appears that Sunbelt is not nearly as desperate as the WAC and wants only FBS members, That’s why this whole thing is so puzzling. This is a HUGE curveball IF it is true.

Guest CardAmbassador

For the record, I prefer the WAC too, but it's a very insignificant preference. I will be happy with anything FBS.

If you read the post on Bobcatreport the source explicitly states that LU will go alone if it has to but that they don't mind being a package deal with SHSU. I think a package deal would be good for both schools. We have a pretty good rivalry and it would give us a travel partner in our new conference.

Guest LU4LIFE
I agree under unique circumstances I wouldn't be surprised if LU and SHSU where to goto the same conference at the same time.

Guest LU4LIFE

For the record, I prefer the WAC too, but it's a very insignificant preference. I will be happy with anything FBS.

If you read the post on Bobcatreport the source explicitly states that LU will go alone if it has to but that they don't mind being a package deal with SHSU. I think a package deal would be good for both schools. We have a pretty good rivalry and it would give us a travel partner in our new conference.

I'm with you CA, as long as we are in the FBS ill be happy where ever we are.

I 100,000% agree. Getting into the Sun Belt would be a major advantage to our program. Being FBS puts us in the living rooms of kids we wouldn't get otherwise, puts us on TV more than before, and instantly increases the profile of the university (and the athletic budget) immeasurably.

While we wouldn't be able to get the Horns and Aggies to Beaumont, we can get onto their campuses, consistently, for games. Rice makes about $2M for each of their games against Texas. I know UT pays more than most colleges, but there are many schools that pay more than the $400K that Baylor is paying.

Guest CardAmbassador
The 400k that Baylor is paying for the 2015 game is for an FCS team. If LU were to become FBS Baylor would dramatically increase their payout because a win over us would count towards bowl eligibility and they could schedule another FCS team.