*Rumored Lamar to FBS discussion*

LU1991

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NorthoftheBorder
I think SH and Lamar are going to duel it out for the last WAC spot. You guys might hold the early lead since you sent someone to the meeting a while back but I expect SH to make a strong case for themselves.

This next week might be interesting. I expect LU to do their low key thing and I have no idea what to expect from Sam. All i know is that both programs want to move up and this may be the last "golden ticket" available for some time. I think the two of you agreed to go to the Belt first as a joint package but when it comes to the WAC the gloves are off. Frankly, if the Belt isn't taking UTSA and TXST they arent taking Sam and LU...but you guys had to ask. I understand that.

I don't know if this is the last "Golden Ticket" or not, and nobody knows, but that is precisely why LU should and must seize this opportunity, WE JUST DON'T KNOW if this is the last chance for a long time. It is my opinion that LU can't set a timetable of "we will be ready in 2015" and then move along at that pace thinking that the invite will be there for the taking in 2015. Dr. Simmons/Tubbs/Tidwell have to move this forward now and fast track the plan. All "savy investors" will buy into a well thought out plan that has a real chance to succeed. GO FBS LU!!!

Guest CardAmbassador
I think SH and Lamar are going to duel it out for the last WAC spot. You guys might hold the early lead since you sent someone to the meeting a while back but I expect SH to make a strong case for themselves.

This next week might be interesting. I expect LU to do their low key thing and I have no idea what to expect from Sam. All i know is that both programs want to move up and this may be the last "golden ticket" available for some time. I think the two of you agreed to go to the Belt first as a joint package but when it comes to the WAC the gloves are off. Frankly, if the Belt isn't taking UTSA and TXST they arent taking Sam and LU...but you guys had to ask. I understand that.

I don't know if this is the last "Golden Ticket" or not, and nobody knows, but that is precisely why LU should and must seize this opportunity, WE JUST DON'T KNOW if this is the last chance for a long time. It is my opinion that LU can't set a timetable of "we will be ready in 2015" and then move along at that pace thinking that the invite will be there for the taking in 2015. Dr. Simmons/Tubbs/Tidwell have to move this forward now and fast track the plan. All "savy investors" will buy into a well thought out plan that has a real chance to succeed. GO FBS LU!!!

I agree North. I encourage anyone with contacts to express their concern and plead for LU to join the first FBS conference it can. Sometimes the leadership needs to hear from the fans.

Guest Abe Froman

Texas State fan here. Nice site, ya'll should be proud.

Between you guys and Sammy State, I'd welcome you with open arms to the WAC. It seems like you guys have a decent plan in place and are committed to making the move up. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes, but from what I've read, ya'll are at least getting your ducks in a row.

Only concern I could see being raised is why an upstart program like Lamar "deserves" to go FBS. Unlike a new program like UTSA, you guys dropped your football team for a while and just recently started it up. Have to think that will weigh on the minds of the WAC/the Belt/etc when considering your candidacy. Who's to say you wouldn't drop the program again after a couple of years if the support wasn't there?

Good luck.

Guest CardAmbassador
Texas State fan here. Nice site, ya'll should be proud.

Between you guys and Sammy State, I'd welcome you with open arms to the WAC. It seems like you guys have a decent plan in place and are committed to making the move up. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes, but from what I've read, ya'll are at least getting your ducks in a row.

Only concern I could see being raised is why an upstart program like Lamar "deserves" to go FBS. Unlike a new program like UTSA, you guys dropped your football team for a while and just recently started it up. Have to think that will weigh on the minds of the WAC/the Belt/etc when considering your candidacy. Who's to say you wouldn't drop the program again after a couple of years if the support wasn't there?

Good luck.

Thanks Abe,

There is alot different about SETX and Lamar in the 22 years since 1989.

Lamar is now a member of the TSUS which is much more broad and less susceptible to local pressure. The LU systems decision to disband football to this day is still viewed as a questionable decision. The economy of Texas in the 1980's was in shambles, especially Beaumont. The economy of today is much different. We still have a big dependency on oil (Gasoline is at $4 a gallon, that is actually very good for us) but the local economy is actually more diverse today. Beaumont and Lamar are both growing not shrinking like they were in the 80s. We don't have a long list of losing seasons directly behind us. This is a fresh start. I'm pretty sure any program would suffer if they lost as many games as LU did in the 80s.

I'm not worried in the least about football leaving, I'm pretty sure its here to stay.

Guest CardinalClaw
Several Lamar officials did not immediately return phone messages.

I might be reading to far into this but I find it a little odd that what LAMAR told the guy that wrote this article was not put in the article. It makes me wonder if he could not release what he was told. If LAMAR would of said something along the same lines of SHSU it would of been mentioned.

Guest CardAmbassador

I might be reading to far into this but I find it a little odd that what LAMAR told the guy that wrote this article was not put in the article. It makes me wonder if he could not release what he was told. If LAMAR would of said something along the same lines of SHSU it would of been mentioned.

He's a reporter in San Antonio, I doubt they told him anything. Sometimes it's a little annoying how tight lipped our admin is. I almost wish we were like SHSU and we knew the thoughts of president at will.

Simmons is like Yoda. Difficult, his mind is, to read.

He's a reporter in San Antonio, I doubt they told him anything. Sometimes it's a little annoying how tight lipped our admin is. I almost wish we were like SHSU and we knew the thoughts of president at will.

Simmons is like Yoda. Difficult, his mind is, to read.

+1

Lamar seems to be headed for the WAC if they will take them. Benson doesn't want to wait for 2013, though. From what I was told, the Cards have two yes votes and three no's informally. Teis and Hickey may be helping out and I still can't confirm anyone from Lamar actually in Phoenix. Same with Seattle.

Staying at 7/9 with the MWC scheduling alliance (no word back from BYU on my end) is an option but these WAC AD's are ready to start making scheduling dates, and they are still uncertain how exactly they will proceed.

Idaho and New Mexico State are the only two schools not looking for another home right now besides Texas State and UTSA. USU and SJSU are wanting MWC invites that currently aren't coming and LA Tech is still hoping for CUSA.

No current Belt or Big Sky teams are looking to join the WAC, just like McCarney said. I can confirm that, finally. That's a pretty big deal.

Benson is expected to address expansion tomorrow or Wednesday.

I hope to have more tonight.

Per JACK

Guest CardAmbassador

Today has been very interesting folks. Stay tuned to BobcatReport.com they have good info over there, those guys are friends with some big time people in ADs all over the country.

Stay tuned here too because we will likely be talking about all the info we receive as it comes out.

Today has been very interesting folks. Stay tuned to BobcatReport.com they have good info over there, those guys are friends with some big time people in ADs all over the country.

Stay tuned here too because we will likely be talking about all the info we receive as it comes out.

Looks like you already have some inside info that you're holding back from us. Come on CA, spill the beans!!

Guest CardAmbassador

Looks like you already have some inside info that you're holding back from us. Come on CA, spill the beans!!

Check your mail.

Guest CardAmbassador

New info: Lamar may have Idahos vote to join the WAC.

For more details check out the War Room at BobcatReport.com

Guest LU4LIFE
Does Texas St and UTSA have a vote on this or do they not count until they are actual WAC members?

Guest CardAmbassador
Does Texas St and UTSA have a vote on this or do they not count until they are actual WAC members?

From my understanding they don't have a vote.

Guest LU4LIFE

From my understanding they don't have a vote.

That's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure.

Guest NorthoftheBorder
According to Jack over at bobcatreport.com both Seattle and Northern Arizona are in Phoenix talking to the WAC. No work on whether anyone from Lamar or Sammy State is there.

Northern Arizona is FCS Big Sky Conference football. Could have big implications on Lamar. Starting to get the feeling that LU is dragging their feet with an attitude of "we are not ready yet". That could mean no FBS for LU for much longer than they would want. Have to wait and see.