*Rumored Lamar to FBS discussion*

LU1991

For the record, I personally buy into the theory that the spotlight is now on the Montana's and if that doesn't work, Lamar and a Western school. If that doesn't happen, the we sell our souls to someone because I don't even want to think about Sam joining this conference.

Why all this hatred toward SHSU? Most ratings have them well behind SWT (yes, if you're going to hate on someone, you're going back to being SWT). While Lamar is considered in the same Tier as SHSU by US News and World Report, Lamar has other ratings that put it ahead of your school and ahead of about 99% of colleges in America....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/13/AR2010081304468.html

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mint
For the record, I personally buy into the theory that the spotlight is now on the Montana's and if that doesn't work, Lamar and a Western school. If that doesn't happen, the we sell our souls to someone because I don't even want to think about Sam joining this conference.

Why all this hatred toward SHSU? Most ratings have them well behind SWT (yes, if you're going to hate on someone, you're going back to being SWT). While Lamar is considered in the same Tier as SHSU by US News and World Report, Lamar has other ratings that put it ahead of your school and ahead of about 99% of colleges in America....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/13/AR2010081304468.html

Meh, if you want to try and troll this conversation, be my guest. At the end of the day, you guys are the ones who could potentially be left in a league who's about to restock from the ranks of Division 2. There are many reasons the WAC should not add Sam. Have you seen their football attendance and student pride (or lack thereof)? I also don't want to saturate FBS football in Texas any further than by adding Lamar. Prison U is apathetic towards sports. I want separation. Let them be with schools like Tarleton and HBU.

Anyway, "hatin' on" SHSU aside, I don't see the UT-A move as something the precludes Lamar from joining the WAC. The WAC needs an 8th (or even 9th) football school to be football-viable (i.e. getting more than a single bowl tie-in... can't count on other conferences being short of teams with how the NCAA changes the rules almost yearly to make it easier for schools to qualify for bowls).

The UTA invite doesn't take Lamar completely out of the picture but I don't see why they would pick them before us. I am bias but the WAC needs football teams and UTA doesn't have one...at least not currently. Maybe we are the holdout...who knows.

The UTA invite doesn't take Lamar completely out of the picture but I don't see why they would pick them before us. I am bias but the WAC needs football teams and UTA doesn't have one...at least not currently. Maybe we are the holdout...who knows.

The WAC can be picky when it comes to football teams, there are a few FCS teams that want to move up, but they have to take advantage of media markets when they become available. Granted Beaumont >> Huntsville >> Nacogdoches, but they don't have a presence in Dallas, and now they do. The other schools probably voted on it too because now when they travel, they can get a chance at Dallas area recruits.

They have to jump at the opportunity for media markets, not for football playing schools, they have a 2 year window (I believe) to get themselves straight with FBS standards.

Guest CardAmbassador

As for all the hate between TxSt-SM, SHSU and Lamar. It really needs to stop. Yes there was definitely cause for some TxSt posters to throw SHSU under the bus a bit when it was first announced SHSU wants to move the the FBS. That is only because of how hard of a time TxSt fans were given by SHSU when they joined the WAC. Lamar has remained peripheral to this for the most part but we need to get over it too. But some TxSt posters are taking the hate too far and if they want to continue it they can do so in a different thread that is titled as such so posters can avoid it.

TxSt-SM fans need to realize that they're in the TSUS just like LU and SHSU, they can say this move is all about perception but its not going get them flagship status so they just need to give up on the idea. All the hate between the three schools is really old and I'm writing this message because I have received complaints from posters here today about certain post. This thread is about Lamar's rumored move to the WAC and information immediately pertaining to that.

If someone wants to make a flagship status topic feel free to do so in the Kampus Korner section. Title it properly so people who don't want to read about it can avoid it.

That is all, carry on folks.

Well said CA. Anyways, back on topic. After thinking about this move I wonder if the WAC isn't close to bringing in the Montana twins. The reason why I say that is because La Tech wanted a central time zone school which they got in UTA. I know that UTA doesn't have the fan support now but I think once they get football up and going they will have a huge amount of support similar to LU when you guys got yalls football program back up. Like I've said, I went to LU before transferring to SHSU and I know a few LU students and alums who really want to go FBS badly so I hope it falls through for you guys. Bottom Line: Even after the WAC makes its next move there will still be movement because the big boys at the top aren't done shuffling yet.

Well said CA. Anyways, back on topic. After thinking about this move I wonder if the WAC isn't close to bringing in the Montana twins. The reason why I say that is because La Tech wanted a central time zone school which they got in UTA. I know that UTA doesn't have the fan support now but I think once they get football up and going they will have a huge amount of support similar to LU when you guys got yalls football program back up. Like I've said, I went to LU before transferring to SHSU and I know a few LU students and alums who really want to go FBS badly so I hope it falls through for you guys. Bottom Line: Even after the WAC makes its next move there will still be movement because the big boys at the top aren't done shuffling yet.

Well, UT-A isn't planning to starting back up their football team.... and Lamar has been a leader in attendance in just about every conference they've been a part of?

Guest CardAmbassador

Well, UT-A isn't planning to starting back up their football team.... and Lamar has been a leader in attendance in just about every conference they've been a part of?

The question is not if UTA will start football but when. UTA is in Texas, now they're in a good league, I see them starting football because they're in the UT system so money isn't an issue for them. But, UTA will not draw even as well as Lamar or UTSA will. UTA is unfortunately right in the heart of Pro Football, basketball, and baseball paradise. Plus there are several other FBS teams in the area. Lamar and UTSA don't have to compete with all of that mess. That is why I would take UTSA, SHSU, Lamar, Seattle, even Montana, 10 times out of 10 before I would have taken UTA.

I believe the Montana's are in play as we speak Bearkat25. That's why I'm not giving Lamar much chance, there are too many other schools that can now finish out the conference. But some have made a good point on the WAC board, UTA doesn't help the WAC attract western schools so this could be a maneuver to attract eastern schools like ULL.

I think SHSU and LU will eventually find themselves in FBS, but it's going to be a long time now, not this year as we were hoping.

These are just my thoughts, there are plenty of people that still think LU is going to get invited this year. I'm just not taking that bet.

I don't think the WAC will stop at 12 schools, I think we'll see 14 possibly 16 schools in the WAC. The Idaho AD already mentioned this a few months ago, and with the speed schools leave the WAC they'll probably be looking for a cushion. I think the dominoes will keep falling for a while so it's only a matter of time before Lamar jumps to a FBS conference.

Guest NorthoftheBorder
The addition of UTA makes me think that LU's chance for the WAC just got a little tougher. There only advantage is the same is real estate: location, location, location. It's high time Dr.Simmons/Tubbs/whoever else gets off the dole and starts an all out campaign to get in a FBS league. It could be that the Sun Belt will get a little antsy with all the moves by the WAC into the Texas market and maybe reach out and pick up LU.

Guest CardAmbassador
The addition of UTA makes me think that LU's chance for the WAC just got a little tougher. There only advantage is the same is real estate: location, location, location. It's high time Dr.Simmons/Tubbs/whoever else gets off the dole and starts an all out campaign to get in a FBS league. It could be that the Sun Belt will get a little antsy with all the moves by the WAC into the Texas market and maybe reach out and pick up LU.

Yes I would like to see something more public, if we do want FBS why not be more vocal about it at this point. Pleasing the SLC was just being nice, but now that it's clear that this will be an every school for themselves scramble out of this conference it's time to go public and start a fundraising effort to get us out of the SLC.

And I can actually see what you are saying about the Sun Belt. Now that the WAC has 3 schools in the Texas Market the Sunbelt has to start thinking about there relevance in Texas not only for media but for recruits.

I agree but it makes me wonder if Lamar doesn't already have something in its back pocket and is waiting until the end of the first football season in the SLC to make an announcement.

Yes I would like to see something more public, if we do want FBS why not be more vocal about it at this point. Pleasing the SLC was just being nice, but now that it's clear that this will be an every school for themselves scramble out of this conference it's time to go public and start a fundraising effort to get us out of the SLC.

And I can actually see what you are saying about the Sun Belt. Now that the WAC has 3 schools in the Texas Market the Sunbelt has to start thinking about there relevance in Texas not only for media but for recruits.

Here is my point of view on the Wac deal. I am from Montana so that may give you a little insight. As for as I know the University of Montana (which has a great FCS football pedigree) is still happy at the FCS level. They sell 26k tickets a game as they are the only real game in town. Missoula has a population of 66k people so they have some great support. I think they would be a very very viable Wac candidate. On the other Montana State does not have the support or the success of the University of Montana. MSU is in Bozeman Montana and has a population of 37k people. I know they are doing some stadium upgrades but when I used to attend games there they did not have big crowds. The only sell outs that they have were when they would play Montana.... Now the only reason I would see bringing in MSU is to get the Univsersity of Montana... but is that a good decision??? The WAC is taking a huge gamble if they take this deal. I am not convinced that the Montanas will join... They do not want to risk the fan support... especially if they struggle.. We shall see what happens but I am not completely convinced of the situation.

Even though UTA got the invite to the WAC I don't think Lamar going FBS is dead. There's still several ways Lamar can end up in a FBS conference. One or both Montana schools may decline to go to the WAC, or the WAC could expand to 14 or 16 teams, or the Sun Belt could decide to expand into Texas to offset what the WAC has done, or the Sun Belt could lose teams and/or expand past the 11 teams they have now.

A few bright spots from all this is that Lamar is still taking things at their pace which will make it easier to succeed at the FBS level in the future. Also, Lamar can still pull in FBS transfers so they should be able to win at the FCS level and pull in the fans. Moving to the FBS too fast will mean lots of losing that would really turn off the local fans fast. Lamar can't (and shouldn't) rely mainly on student fees to go FBS, local support is a must.

Guest CardAmbassador

Yes coach, but, I still think UTA's invitation significantly reduced our chances at being FBS sooner rather than later. Say the Montanas don't come, if I were the WAC I would probably look at 2 western schools before I would look back in the east. You want to solidify California so you could see two adds there or an add in Oregon.

You're right though there are tons of other scenarios that gets us there. I just think that it was a sure thing the WAC was going to invite a eastern school and we all believed LU was the most logical choice. It sucks that the WAC didn't see it that way.

Finiteman (big poster on the WAC forum) posted something very interesting over on bobcatreport.com. Here's what La Tech's AD said after the UTA announcement:

"[La Tech AD] Van De Velde reiterated that Tech has a lot of work to do in house before it can think about moving. Meanwhile the WAC is more than just a place to sit. The expectation is that the WAC will add additional football schools inside the central time zone within a couple of years.

"I think if that happens, Tech would be well served to continue being a member of the WAC," Van De Velde said. "That doesn't mean that we wouldn't keep our eyes on other possibilities. But we would feel better about the WAC."..."

There's also this quote from the article:

"Our ultimate goal would be to create a central division and a more western region. If we could snap our fingers and bring in three more schools and balance it in the central time zone, it would be preferred," Benson said. "But we have to focus on football and we need a minimum of two football playing schools and that would still leave room for another non-football playing school."

I'm still a firm believer that the WAC isn't stopping at 12 schools.

Link: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20110710/SPORTS0203/107100326/What-does-future-hold-Louisiana-Tech

@ LUFAN

MSU has done very well in the last couple of years attendence wise and have had several very good seasons. Their stadium looks great and has a lot of room for expansion. They also get amazing student participation in all of their sports. The reason i know this is i really concidered going there for their Aggriculture Department before i decided to go a different direction with my education. In my opinion the WAC could do worse than MSU but they could also do better. Yes i think LU is better. The reason that Montana and MSU will not go to the WAC is because the BIG SKY is trying to become an FBS conference. Why change conferences when you can stay right where your at and know you have been succesful and make the change from FCS to FBS. It just makes no sence for the Montana schools to go to the WAC.

Guest CardAmbassador
I feel like this will lead to another disappointment for the beaumont area. I hope we get an invite but I think that LU being in Beaumont gives everyone a sour taste in the mouth as far as the other schools go.

If we think like that it will probably come true. I lived in Beaumont and many of the posters here still live in Beaumont. I don't see what's wrong with the place. I can honestly say that if I get a job in the Golden Triangle area. I would live there before any other city in SETX.

Beaumont and the area surrounding Lamar improves everyday. I'm pretty sure Beaumont had nothing to do with this. I think it was more like the size of the DFW market. Honestly I think the WAC made a miscalculation and I think I will be vindicated on that statement in five years.

Who would they invite from California that they haven't already invited and got turned down by?

I will have to agree with you. I can imagine that the Montana twins will decline the invite. Then, the WAC may invite Cal Poly or someone else, but I still think Lamar may get mixed in there somewhere. However, we have to think about the fact that UT-A among three others are going to be in this "new" conference. It may not be as appealing as it was before.

Don't get me started on Beaumont. It's way under-rated. There are a lot of really good attributes.

My careers have taken me to Valdosta, GA; Sacramento, CA; Oklahoma City, OK; Lafayette, LA; and Houston, TX as well as Beaumont. I even spent some years in College Station, TX as a student. Each of those places were good and I enjoyed living in every one of them, but there are a lot of activities that I liked in Beaumont that I either couldn't do as well or just plain couldn't do in the other places.

If the town is the reason, then that's really sad.

I completely agree that SETX is underrated. The only place you can do more outdoor activities is Austin and that is somewhat debatable. Also we offer just about anything a bigger city can offer. But I do think there is a stigma that is attached to the area and though it may not be the main reason we get refused it does have something to do with it. Just look at the way we get represented at the state level. We are considered the armpit of Texas and local people in the area perpetuate that view by not defending the area. How many people do you know that have said there is just not anything to do in SETX. JMHO