QB Bevil to start opener Saturday

coachacola

Guest CardinalClaw
Here's my official stance: If the QB with the best stats in the TC game starts the South Alabama game then I'm cool with it.

It's just another scrimmage and Bevil is taking the first series.

+1 that's exactly how I'm looking at this game too.

Guest CardinalClaw
the game against texas college is nothing more than a scrimmage.lamar could drop a 100 on this team so i expect some mercy.south alabama is really our first game this year.if prewitt or johnson look better than bevil i expect them to start next week.i will say if bevil is the guy next week then he gets my support.

Me too, all I want is the best QB on the field.

Guest NorthoftheBorder
2 years at Navarro and last year at LU with Woodard and he's a senior this year, not too hard to figure out with the game being against Texas College. I think Mike's comments are on target. Don't think that Andre handles pressure well, but if he has time he can do some damage. The O-line improvements might make him an all american this year.

95% sure we will see all 3 QBs Saturday. Also Bevil has not thrown near the amount of interceptions in practice as last year. Will it transfer to games? We shall see. But we will all get to see them Saturday to help judge the best candidate.

I'd bet we end up seeing Berry and Tatum Saturday night. ;)

Guest CardAmbassador
95% sure we will see all 3 QBs Saturday. Also Bevil has not thrown near the amount of interceptions in practice as last year. Will it transfer to games? We shall see. But we will all get to see them Saturday to help judge the best candidate.

I'd bet we end up seeing Berry and Tatum Saturday night. ;)

It's not only going to be interesting to see who takes the field at QB but think about the freshmen TE's and guys like PJ Henderson who we don't know much about. Also we get to see all the RB's and WR's in live action. I'm interested to see how Beagleton does at WR.

I would definitely suggest buying an info guide for the game because there are going to be so many different #'s on the field Saturday it will be useful.

Why can't we settle on one QB? I wouldn't care if I knew that Andre will play the whole year, but he has a history of having shoulder problems. Give Johnson or Prewitt a chance! Andre is not the answer.

Color me a little surpised but as good as Andre threw the deep ball last year I wouldnt go as far to saying "he's not the answer." His problems last year can be stemmed to no running game and that will not be an issue this year IMO. With what should be a much improved OL the running game and his protection should be better. If teams arent centered on stopping the pass (which is all they had to do last year) Andre could be a force throwing to JJ again this season.

Lets let this play out before jumping to conclusions.

I agree. I was really hoping JJ would come in and be an instant superstar. Obviously, that didn't happen and Woodard is a loyal guy who wants to give his senior an opportunity in his final year. I probably would have made a different decision, but I've never coached a down of football in my life.

You're right Mike, I need to reserve any judgements made about him until he solidifies the starting position or loses it.

It just sounds like a bunch of politics, and as I grow up (I'm only 20), it seems like the whole world is a bunch of stinkin' politics, everywhere you look!

Anyways I'm done with my rant. I support Bevil and hope he plays his best game every on Saturday.

You're right Mike, I need to reserve any judgements made about him until he solidifies the starting position or loses it.

It just sounds like a bunch of politics, and as I grow up (I'm only 20), it seems like the whole world is a bunch of stinkin' politics, everywhere you look!

Anyways I'm done with my rant. I support Bevil and hope he plays his best game every on Saturday.

While I understand what you mean, I think it is safe to say that Woodard is basing this decision solely on what he has seen and knows from Bevil's past. I doubt politics play a lot here...or in that case, he would be listening to all of us and Jeremy Johnson would be starting.

Guest CardAmbassador

Here's the words of Woodard we need to remember:

"...we can only put one quarterback out there to start the game and it's going to be Andre."

Woodard will evaluate all starting positions again after Saturday.

"We still have a number of players that haven't played in a game for us and units that haven't played together," Woodard said. "We certainly will evaluate everybody after this ballgame."

I think some people are under the impression means Bevil has won the starting spot and is now his to lose. I think he is letting Bevil start because he has more experience but there will be another evaluation after the game.

With Johnson being a freshman and not played last year, I'm guessing the coaches are not in a rush to have him start and they will let him grow into the starting position. Until conference play rolls around, there's really no need for Johnson to start as long as they give him plenty of playing time. Pruitt is probably destined to be the backup either way.

Guest CardinalClaw
Who all thinks Woodard has decided he would rather have USA not knowing exactly who our starting QB is going to be over Texas College not knowing?

Who all thinks Woodard has decided he would rather have USA not knowing exactly who our starting QB is going to be over Texas College not knowing?

Great point...we can pretty much chalk up Saturday's game with a "W". However, every game after that (with the exception of maybe Incarnate Word) is going to be based on that night's progress.