2016 Lamar Football Recruiting Board

KABrother88

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of new offers out today

[tweet]671414145594482688[/tweet]

Jaylon Bowden a 3* DB out of Blinn JC. Ranked as the #6 JUCO Safety in the nation by 247Sports.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4543353/jaylon-bowden

[tweet]671328091705245696[/tweet]

Alex Turner a 6'3" 280 lbs DL out of Jersey Village HS.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1578886/alexander-turner

Saw an interesting name pop up through some of my Twitter searches today that appears might be on Lamar's radar...Vandergrift HS RB Travis Brannan. Did a little research on the him and holy cow is all I can say. Here are some stats I found on the kid:

2015 (12 games and counting)

261-2540 rushing (9.7 y/c) & 38 TDs

23-536 receiving (23.3 y/c) & 7 TDs

2014 (14 games)

325-2685 rushing (8.3 y/c) & 38 TDs

27-600 receiving (22.2 y/c) & 4 TDs

2 year totals (26 games and counting)

586-5225 rushing (8.9 y/c) & 76 TDs

50-1136 receiving (22.7 y/c) & 11 TDs

Was named the Offensive POY in 5A for his 2014 season. Has a handful of offers from some FBS schools so it would take some work to pull him. He went to the same HS as freshman LB Bear Christianson so there might be a connection there.

Another poster on SETXSports who sounds like potentially a family member or close says Mason Sikes committed the same day he was offered. Since we lost 2 TEs after signing day last year (Dillon Barrett & Garrett Drake) and 2 being SRs this coming season (Jennings and Beaton) not really surprised to see us take 2 TEs this cycle. Justin Carr will probably be more of a project as he played LT in HS. He hasn't added much weight to his 6'6" frame in the 3 years he started on the OL for Nederland so I wouldn't anticipate him to be able to add enough weight to warrant trying to make him an OL at Lamar.

Another poster on SETXSports who sounds like potentially a family member or close says Mason Sikes committed the same day he was offered. Since we lost 2 TEs after signing day last year (Dillon Barrett & Garrett Drake) and 2 being SRs this coming season (Jennings and Beaton) not really surprised to see us take 2 TEs this cycle. Justin Carr will probably be more of a project as he played LT in HS. He hasn't added much weight to his 6'6" frame in the 3 years he started on the OL for Nederland so I wouldn't anticipate him to be able to add enough weight to warrant trying to make him an OL at Lamar.

Looking at the roster, we got freshman TE out the wazzoo. Arceneaux, McVey, smith, McGee.

maybe there's a linebacker hiding in one of them

Looking at the roster, we got freshman TE out the wazzoo. Arceneaux, McVey, smith, McGee.

maybe there's a linebacker hiding in one of them

McVey & Smith are is the only two who saw action this season to my knowledge...and I think most of Smith's was against Bacone.

McVey was our #2 all year.

Smith RS'd in 2014 and then was beat out by McVey for the #2 spot.

Arceneaux signed as a LB but was moved to TE in fall camp presumedly due to having plenty of depth at LB and not as much at TE. Wouldn't be surprised to see him going back to LB.

McGee is a walk-on.

Sikes looks like a pretty good pick up who could end up being pretty good for us. He was plenty involved in Lumberton's passing game and looks to be a capable blocker on his film.

Woodard has stated in the past that he would rather build from the HS ranks and sprinkle in JUCO and FBS transfers where there is an immediate need.

Looking at last years signing class we had immediate needs on the OL after signing day due to 2 potential starters (Chance Allen & Seth Blenderman) leaving the team and one returning starter (John Craven) injuring his knee in the spring. Filled those holes with an FBS transfer (Cody Elenz who turned in a 1st team All-SLC season at LT) and a JUCO LG (Dante Catteano) who started a majority of the games.

DL had needs as well from losing both starting DEs (Joe Okafor & Keith Curran) in a unit that was already thin...went out and got 3 JUCO DL (Manessiah Miles, Larry Carroll & William Wowkanyn)...Miles started both of the first 2 games before having his knee blown out on a cheap shot from the Baylor QB, Carrol started all 11 games, and Wowkanyn played in all but 1 game and was 3rd among DL in TFL.

Also had a need at TE as expected starter Dillon Barrett transferred to Ole Miss after the spring. Brought in a JUCO TE who was an HM All-SLC.

Also picked up an FCS and two JUCO QBs, a couple of FBS WR (one of which left the team and one was moved back to his natural CB position and played really well late in the year) and a JUCO RB who had some extra academic work to do but will be here in Jan.

This years team, we are going to lose 2 OL but were able to RS quite a few freshman and have John Craven back from his knee injury as he was able to take a RS. Have 2 HS guys committed and wouldn't be surprised if we went after one JUCO for depth at minimum.

Lose nearly every WR who saw meaningful snaps this year...that's where I'm looking for the most help from the JUCO ranks.

Also remember these are only offers that we have seen made public. Most of the info we get is per Twitter and if a guy has his profile set to private and announces that he has been offered or even committed, we won't see it.

This article states that 2 more offers went out to in Oklahoma today to teammates at West Moore HS in Oklahoma City.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5465575

Tre Towery a 6'2" 290 lbs DL

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3202508/tre-towery

Derek Loccident a 6'1" 190 lbs DB

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1922952/derek-loccident

Edited by KABrother88

Also note that the running list on the first post had to be broken up because apparently it was too big. Now you will see commits in the 1st post, offers and interest in the 2nd post, and offers committed to other in the 3rd post.

Another thing I did was linked film for commits and offerres to their name so you can just clink their name and it will take you to their Hudl account.