Houston Rockets March to the Playoffs

eagle eye

Golden State followed the script perfectly. Win Game 1 in overtime with the Cavs missing the last 12 of 13 shots with the lone make an oh-by-the-way layup by LeBron at the end of the game. Games 2 and 3 were close but the Cavs defense and some contributions by the role players lifted the Cavs to 2-1 lead in the series. Then, much like the Memphis series in the Western Conference Finals, the Warriors woke up and became the team that stormed through the NBA all season and took the next 3 games to send them to their first NBA finals for the first time in 40 years. The same scenario played out in the finals. It began in Game 4 when Warriors coach Steve Kerr decided to go with a small lineup that swarmed the Cavs on defense and ran the Cavs ragged on offense. Andre Iguodala was put on LeBron and responded by giving James fits on the defensive end and scoring some big buckets on offense. Iguodala didn't stop James because James was pretty awesome in the finals. So awesome he received 4 of the 11 MVP votes when the series was over but, it was Iguodala who made James work his behind off on offense and his total contribution was so impactful that he won the series MVP award. In the end Golden State was the best team and deserved to win but it could really have been different if the Cavs had Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving. But Cleveland didn't and because JR Smith failed miserably to show up and sub par performances by Iman Shumpert and others left LeBron alone on an island. Shumpert can be forgiven somewhat because he was slowed by an injury but a lot of blame falls on Cavs coach David Blatt for a truly uninspired effort coaching in the series. I sort of feel like Blatt is Cleveland's answer to Eric Spoelstra. I wouldn't give you 50 cents for either guy. Steve Kerr, besides looking like Neil Patrick Harris older twin brother, proved he is a damn good coach. Both as a strategist and as an in-game bench coach. He was really good and I feel like he has a bright future as an NBA coach. Blatt? Not so much.

The only thing I wish is that LeBron had said something to the effect of how proud he was of his team's effort in the finals series. Nobody really stepped up to help, especially JR Smith, take scoring pressure off of LeBron but their effort can't be questioned. As evidence I give you Matthew Dellavedova whose Game 3 performance was way above his head. He chased and hounded Steph Curry all over creation on defense while tossing in 20 points in the Cavs win. He left the floor spent and had to go to the hospital for IV treatment for dehydration. He wasn't the same player after Game 3 but in truth Dellavedova is a damn good backup but not good enough to be a starting point guard in the NBA but he gave all he could every single game. That was the story of the series. Cleveland overachieved to win 2 games but they were just not good enough to overcome the talent disparity between them and the Warriors. That and coaching disparity between Blatt and Kerr. If Golden State had Blatt and Cleveland had Kerr I think this series could have gone 7 games with Cleveland, despite being outclassed talent-wise, could have won the series. That's the belief I have, that Steve Kerr is far and away a much better coach than David Blatt. I feel like good coaching in basketball is the difference in good teams and great ones. Don't believe me? Can you imagine the Bulls being so successful in the Michael Jordan era without Phil Jackson, or the Lakers with Kobie without Jackson? How about the 80's era Lakers without Pat Riley or San Antonio without Gregg Popovich. Now, I know these teams had great players but when the coach stepped aside the team with basically the same lineup fell flat. Remember how long the Lakers were a non-issue until Jackson was hired? Remember how the Lakers fell flat when Jackson was fired? See how Pop keeps rolling out a championship caliber Spurs team despite his players advanced age? Steve Kerr seems to display the same qualities of the greats. I'm not saying he's great yet but you can see that potential. David Blatt, to me, does not possess that potential.

This is my last post on this thread. I have a renewed interest in the NBA and it's been fun to watch the playoffs this year. I'm happy the Rockets are in the discussion for the playoffs again. It more fun when the local team is relevant. Hopefully, the Rockets can add some players so it's not all on James Hardy and Dwight Howard. They should also get Patrick Beverly back which will help as well as DeMo who both missed the playoffs due to late season injuries. The Rockets have the blocks to build on to become another power in the Western Conference. Next season OKC should be back with the return of Kevin Durant. Golden State will be in the hunt for years with Kerr and a very young and talented roster. The NBA is alive and interesting again.