KABrother's 2015 Football Preview - Wide Receiver

KABrother88

The 3rd installment of KABrother's 2015 Football Preview will focus on the Wide Receiver position.

Note:

* represents player was a starter at the end of 2014.

** represents player was 2nd team at the end of 2014.

Letter in ( ) represents what eligibility player will/would have had starting the season with "E" being exhausted eligibility.

Who We Lost:

Mark Roberts* (E)

Brent Salenga (Sr)

Seth Barrow (So)

Cort Harris (So)

Who We Return:

Reggie Begelton* (Sr)

Jayce Nelson* (Sr)

Devonn Brown** (Sr)

Gee Gladney** (Sr)

Caleb Hobbs (So)

Martrell Hawthorne (R-Fr)

Who We Added:

Brendan Langley (Jr)

Chaston Brooks (Fr) ???

Logan Hare (Fr)

Lawrence Jackson (Fr)

Chase Marler (Fr)

Alvin Phillips (Fr)

Trenten Swinton (Fr)

What We Know:

Deep threat Mark Roberts is gone after an All-American season but the WR corp is still loaded with upperclass talent. Reggie Begelton already holds a handful of school records but with another season like either of his last 2, he could grab a few more including career yards and Roberts' career TDs. Jayce Nelson came on strong at the end of last season and 6 of his 24 catches on the year went for TDs with 5 of them coming in the final 4 games.

What To Watch For:

Transfer Brendan Langley comes in and will aim to make an immediate impact. He also has the ability to play DB if that becomes more of a need than WR as he played both positions at Georgia, however, WR is not a deep position so I expect him to stick here. Martell Hawthorne is coming off of a RS season and has the biggest body of any of our WRs at 6'4". He could become a valuable weapon as a Red Zone target. Chaston Brooks is still listed as an "Athlete" on the roster so we will see if the staff puts him at WR or DB. Tariq Gordon is also listed at WR/DB but he has said he's coming in at DB. We did not sign any full fledged HS WR this past recruiting cycle and only signed Hawthorne in 2014 but it looks like we landed what appears to be some solid walk-ons. With so little depth at the position I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of them see some action in garbage time to keep the key guys healthy.

What To Expect:

Reggie Begelton will undoubtedly receive the most attention from DBs this season but it's still within reason for him to catch 60-70 passes. I expect Langley to come in and have and make his presence known whether it be with his numbers or forcing defenses to account for him and opening up other guys like Jayce Nelson. The latest 2-deep has Nelson starting over Langley at X but I feel those guys are potentially the 2 best outside WRs and need to be on the field together.

My Week 1 Prediction:

A:

1 - Reggie Begelton

2 - Gee Gladney

X:

1 - Brendan Langley

2 - Martell Hawthorne

Z:

1 - Jayce Nelson

2 - Devonn Brown

Previous:

Quarterbacks

Runningbacks

We could see a lot of 3 WR sets. I like the idea of Begelton in the slot with Langley and Nelson out wide. Still, it all depends on either Minden or Earp (or both) to produce. So far I like our skill positions and I can't wait to see the breakdown of the tight ends! One other question is still up in the air concerning the new OC. Will the new guy just be the next Keuck or will we really have someone to take the offense up a notch or two or three?

Reggie Begelton @ the (A), Devonn Brown @ the (Z), Brendan Langley @ the (X), but 1st his has the physically earn the position in summer camp. If not, Jayce Nelson @ the (X). I think Coach Langston will be a good OC. Don't be surprise if Lamar WR run 4 wide. If the Qb's get there plays and timing right, and the linemen block the rush well, Lamar could be unstoppable.

Reggie Begelton @ the (A), Devonn Brown @ the (Z), Brendan Langley @ the (X), but 1st his has the physically earn the position in summer camp. If not, Jayce Nelson @ the (X). I think Coach Langston will be a good OC. Don't be surprise if Lamar WR run 4 wide. If the Qb's get there plays and timing right, and the linemen block the rush well, Lamar could be unstoppable.

I went back and forth with this one and I know the summer 2-deep had Nelson over Langley at X and Brown over Hawthorne at Z but going off of reports out of spring I feel Langley will be starting and needs to be. Also looking back at last season, Nelson was starting over Brown at the Z position. I do think we will see quite a few 4-wide sets and I think we have a few good combinations we can put out there.

• 3 weeks later...
I know a couple of players on the team and from what I'm getting, Begelton isn't the best we have. We've got two low 4.4/ high 4.3 guys on the outside in Devonn Brown and Brendan Langley who if they get the ball a little more, could both have All-American years and put up ungodly numbers. We have to get the ball in our playmakers hands if we want to have a successful season. I think we can do it!

I know a couple of players on the team and from what I'm getting, Begelton isn't the best we have. We've got two low 4.4/ high 4.3 guys on the outside in Devonn Brown and Brendan Langley who if they get the ball a little more, could both have All-American years and put up ungodly numbers. We have to get the ball in our playmakers hands if we want to have a successful season. I think we can do it!

Begelton may not be a burner, but he'll go across the middle and he catches anything near him.

Begelton may not be a burner, but he'll go across the middle and he catches anything near him.

He will! Which is why the Cards need to know the difference between their playmaking guys and their possession guys. 3rd and short I'm giving it to Begelton. But they can't win if they can't score. I hear a lot of people concerned with the loss of Mark Roberts but I think they will be just fine with Brown and Langley on the outside, maybe even better.

What wide receiver will be the the X factor like Mark Roberts last year, while Reggie Begelton receives 125+ passing attempts??
The Cards have two speedy guys on the outside, I don't think there will be a fall in production losing Roberts..... Pending on play calling.