Anderson Kopp

lamarfan360

The whirlwind single-season for Kopp with Eagle Basketball concluded with a scholarship offer to Lamar University. He struck a particular chord with head coach Tic Price who was an assistant at Tennessee-Chattanooga in the 1980s when Kopp’s father Will was staring on the university’s tennis courts.

“(Price) expects me to earn freshman of the year in the (Southland) conference and be part of the core that takes them back to the NCAA (tournament),” Kopp says. “The style of play … moving without the ball, catch and shoot, pick-and-pop, isolation match-ups … plays to my strength.”

Kopp’s arduous journey to upper echelon hoopdom required a fully charged industrial strength GPS. His own promising tennis talent first took him to the Advantage Tennis Academy in Irvine, California. He decided to flip his focus to basketball, opting for home school academics in Houston and full court tutoring under the city’s resident godfather of dribble-drive John Lucas. Kopp then bouncing to the Wasatch Academy in Utah where an ankle injury forced surgery and prompted a second return home.With one year of high school eligibility remaining, Kopp enrolled at St. Thomas. The demands included an abrupt transition to not only the rigorous college preparatory curriculum but also unfamiliar teammates who themselves were adapting to the culture shift of first-year head coach Gary Hall. Yet despite the turbulence Kopp emerged calm and collected, poised and primed for his shot.

“My decision to come to St. Thomas couldn’t have played out better,” Kopp says. “I love this school. The academics have me absolutely prepared (for college). And I wouldn’t be this position without coach Hall. His ability to connect with players is his greatest strength. Fighting through the injury … being a part of 25 wins … the team aspect … so rewarding. I’ll never forget how I was welcomed by everyone in this campus community … an outsider here for just one year … couldn’t have asked for more.”

https://www.sths.org/2019/05/22/st-thomas-scholar-athletes-extending-careers-collegiate-level-nsd/#post/0

• 5 weeks later...