Lamar Football opens spring training - 2012

BRI Staff

BEAUMONT - After rain washed away the original start date of spring practice, the Lamar football team was able to begin its spring workouts Wednesday evening under the lights of Provost Umphrey Stadium.

The Cardinals will have 15 practices during the spring, culminating with the second annual Crawfish Bowl on Apr. 17. After waiting an extra day due to rain, third-year head coach Ray Woodard and his players were ready to get on the field.

"We were able to meet again which was good," said Woodard about how Tuesday was spent. "We have a lot of new stuff to put in with the new coaches and it was good to meet again. It added to the excitement and there was a little more build up to tonight. I'm very excited."

Lamar has 63 letterwinners returning, including five offensive starters and six starters on defense. While there is a lot of returning talent on the roster, much of the early practices will be spent teaching and welcoming new players and coaches.

"There will be a lot of learning and a lot of teaching, but we need to see a lot of want to out of our players because we have 15 practices to pick up a lot of material. We have to come out here focused and do a great job of really learning and coming together in a short period of time.

"With our senior class leaving, we have about 15 new walk-ons out here. We have four junior college additions that weren't here in the fall, and with the new coaches, there's a lot of new out here. There's a lot of learning going on, but it brings a lot of excitement to what we're doing."

LINK: http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032112aaa.html

Guest CardAmbassador

So with 11 starters returning our rebuilding job is smaller than I thought. I guess some of those starters are guys returning from injury like Washington and Garrett.

15 walk ons? I hope we can find a few diamonds in the rough.

Guest McneeseKilla
So with 11 starters returning our rebuilding job is smaller than I thought. I guess some of those starters are guys returning from injury like Washington and Garrett.

15 walk ons? I hope we can find a few diamonds in the rough.

I would imagin we have so many walk ons because of the mass amount of players we lost. Got to have replacements until the new recruits get here rite?