Transfer Portal Talk

TexGator

Scuttlebutt I've been hearing:
- None of the guys in the portal that haven't announced a new school are closing the door on returning to Beaumont
- No one is taking calls from other Southland schools, out of respect for the program, their teammates, and Coach Davis (to me, that's a testament to Davis' leadership that they don't want to double-hit the Cardinals program)
- They're not recruiting as much as selecting portal guys, including from other SLC schools; pretty easy to pluck from a school like HCU since they were 9th in conference and then hired from within... if I had offers, I'd take that as a sign they're not serious about investing in the program, and thus, in me

I think selecting players from the portal is becoming more normal for everyone.  But like JUCO players, some schools rely more on transfers more than HS talent.  I think a school like Lamar has a hard time getting top-notch HS players so the JUCO/portal route is the best way to stay competitive every year.

• Mike pinned this topic

Will Davis has made steady progress each year in the baseball program.  Seems like nobody was going to have anywhere near the success as Gilligan did.  I hope he sticks around for a while longer.  My guess he'll wait until LSU comes a calling.

1 hour ago, coachacola said:

Will Davis has made steady progress each year in the baseball program.  Seems like nobody was going to have anywhere near the success as Gilligan did.  I hope he sticks around for a while longer.  My guess he'll wait until LSU comes a calling.

It's a different game than when Gilligan coached. Davis is coaching this version of the game pretty damn well.

• 2 weeks later...