Former Central football standout Alfred has offers from Lamar, Miss and UNLV

Guest LU4LIFE

Guest LU4LIFE

Three Division I football programs have recently offered scholarships to former Central standout Kewan Alfred.

Alfred, a freshman at Trinity Valley Community College in Athens, has offers from Lamar, Mississippi and UNLV. But the 6-foot-3, 250-pound linebacker plans to wait a few weeks before making a decision. Alfred, who recorded more than 60 tackles last fall at Trinity Valley, could opt to play one more season at the junior college level.

He's also waiting to see if other schools offer. He went on an unofficial visit to Texas A&M last Thursday.

"I really don't know what I'm going to do right now," Alfred said. "I'm just trying to keep my options open and wait and see what can happen at the end of spring."

Trinity Valley ends its spring practices on April 28. Alfred said Lamar is in the mix with the other schools despite it being in a smaller conference.

Alfred is being recruited to play linebacker and defensive end. As a senior at Central in 2010, he was the District 20-4A defensive MVP as he recorded 111 tackles and 13 sacks and helped lead the Jaguars to the district title.

"Things are getting very hectic with all of the offers," Alfred said. "I love my teammates but I also want to do what's best for me. If what's best for me is to leave this school year then I have to do what I have to do."

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Former-Central-football-standout-Alfred-has-3476019.php#ixzz1rni9eaP4