Appreciate What’s Going On

eagle eye

I’m not as devoted a follower of the NFL as I used to be because somewhere around the time Colin Crappernick started kneeling during our National Anthem was about the same time the NFL went full on woke. 
That said, I really appreciate seeing good people succeed. We are privileged to be witnessing what I believe to be a Hall of Fame career in progress. It doesn’t take much imagination to know who I’m talking about. Patrick Mahomes of course. The bonding of Mahomes and head coach Andy Reid is a match made in football heaven. Pat Mahomes isn’t just good in the regular season, he’s got a whole other gear come playoff time. This past playoff season Mahomes and the Chiefs won four playoff games, two on the road and the Super Bowl at a neutral site. In the Super Bowl the Chiefs overcame a late San Francisco lead to tie the game with just 3 seconds left in regulation. The 49ers scored first in overtime on a field goal but, the Chiefs had one chance left. Mahomes led his team on an epic 75 yard drive in which the Chiefs converted 2 third downs and critical 4th down to end up with a 1st and goal at the San Francisco 3 yard line. A quick pass to Mecole Hardman gave KC the win and made them the first back to back Super Bowl winners since the 2003 and 2004 New England Patriots. 
Mahomes has led the Chiefs to 4 Super Bowls in 5 years. Pretty impressive. The lone loss came in Super Bowl LV (55 for those who struggle with Roman numerals!). Ironically, the Chiefs lost to the Tom Brady-led Tampa Bay Bucs. It was a passing of the torch in a way from 7 time Super Bowl champion and 5 time Super Bowl MVP to the next man to become his generation’s best quarterback. The last statement isn’t even open to argument. Mahomes is already a 3 time Super Bowl champion, a 3 time Super Bowl MVP and a 2 time NFL MVP! It hasn’t hurt any that Mahomes and Andy Reid have done some very funny State Farm commercials which helps their image. 
For me I have always liked Patrick. 1st, he’s from Texas. 2nd, he went to my daughter’s Alma Mater Texas Tech where he did a good job under Kliff Kingsbury and he’s gone on to the Chiefs and, 3, he’s  made a franchise that hasn’t really been relevant since they won their first Super Bowl over 50 years ago into the best franchise in the NFL. He and Andy Reid have turned a sad sack franchise into the NFL’s best franchise. Please argue with me about that. 
I feel the same way about the Chiefs as I did about the Patriots. As a Cowboys fan I’m jealous as can be it’s not my Cowboys doing all this winning. I have to say it’s a whole lot easier to like Mahomes and Reid than it was Brady and Belichick. Maybe Brady and Belichick should have done some clever State Farm commercials! 
My point? Enjoy watching NFL history being made. Mahomes is a joy to watch play. Like the Staubach era Cowboys you always believe the team will find ways to win because the quarterback just never gives up. Keep in mind, the Chiefs are already a dynasty and Mahomes is only 28 years old! His career could last another 10 to 12 to 14 years! I’m sure Chiefs fans hope Andy Reid coaches until he’s 90 as well! Enjoy the ride folks. You just don’t see greatness every day.