Sorry, I have to vent my feelings about this issue.

Guest bigred360

Guest bigred360
I believe everyone here knows I love Lamar University, athletics and everything about the school. I believe coaches are paid to do just that but what I learned today was very disappointing. Lamar football coaches cut an athlete I've followed the past 4 years. I'm not giving out the kids name but he was told to come out and attempt to make the team as a DB. However, once on campus they tried to make him a WR and gave him the spring to learn and excel in a position he has never played in his life. This kid was All-District 3 years and named to the Beaumont Enterprise Super Team twice. He played the game with heart and passion. I believe they have made a big mistake letting this kid walk. Amazing!!! I hope he looks at all his options but doesn't burn any bridges as he wants to coach one day.

Guest NorthoftheBorder
As you know I have been where you are BR360!!! As with everything in life, coaching and player evaluation is not an exact science. This is the issue we will have when you have local kids you know and want to excel at our alma mater and you feel they didn't get the proper treatment. Hope this young man uses this as a positive motivator and he has a good college career somewhere.

Why is it coach and players are quick to leave here as well. Is Woodard a hard person to get along with? People are taking mediocre jobs else where to just get away. We get transfers in here and then they leave after one season. When is Woodard on the hot seat?

Cplatt

Guest bigred360
Thanks NOTB, as I was for sure I was going to get blasted on here. But, I love this kid!! I know you have been where I am now as I do hope he looks at all his options but part of me wants him to graduate from Lamar. BTW, today is his 20th birthday. So, Happy Birthday!!! I know he knows about BRI as I was told most of all the players know of this site but have been instructed they can read but not to post anything. I can certainly understand that as a kid may say something he might regret later but once it's out there someone has seen it and it's hard to take it back.

Guest CardAmbassador
It's not up to us, ultimately coaches do what they think is going to keep them their job. That's all I'm going to say.

Why is it coach and players are quick to leave here as well. Is Woodard a hard person to get along with? People are taking mediocre jobs else where to just get away. We get transfers in here and then they leave after one season. When is Woodard on the hot seat?

Cplatt

Hinshaw and Mayper left but who else on coaching staff left that wasn't let go? Mayper left to be a head coach so that's understandable. I'll ask you, would you trade anyone on the current staff for the guys that left?

As far as the players, who knows? The QB's left for playing time issues but they can only play one. Oden left but he never seemed happy here and others left due to classroom issues (ie Campbell, etc) Turnover happens at every university in the country.

We will see but it just seems to me Woodard is not the guy to turn this program into a consistent winner. Im not close enough to the situation to know whats going on but i played baseball at Lamar a few yrs back and i know how internal issues are tunred around to the media. Just saying i bet there is more than meets the eye with Woodard.

Cplatt

Guest bigred360
Thanks Mike, you are right. I just don't think a former HS star QB can learn everything about the position of WR in a few weeks. He was only a freshman for crying out loud. He is a great athlete and like LCM2007MS stated he is good enough for baseball too. I hope he done talk to Coach Gilligan. But, I know he want to coach football either at the college level first being a GA, then staying there or the HS level. He has a great personality and is a natural leader...Too bad the LU coaches didn't have enough time to see those qualities and being a walkon freshman I'm sure he didn't say much. However, later in his career he would have been a a leader in the locker room and on the field. IMHO, he need to be at DB. I was a WR in HS and there is so much to learn. Where to line up for a route to the outside, or inside, how to change the route depending on who the DB is playing you. How to make sharp cuts and not round them off. Always catch the ball with your hand not you body and always come back to the ball. Oh and never let some intercept a pass if possible. It's much better for an offensive pass interference penalty than turning the ball over. I think that is something the LU WR's need to do more of. Protecting their QB from interceptions. So, there is so much more to playing WR at the college level than just catching passes and being fast....

Guest CardAmbassador
We just signed alot of DB's and WR's we can't keep them all, LU's only aloud to practice with 90 players. If your friend gets to stay then some other guy who you don't know gets the boot. Who's to say that kid we don't know isn't a good kid who deserves a chance too?

Guest bigred360
CA, you are right I don't know all the players we signed at DB but this kid was a QB and learning a new position. You played sports, right? Probably basketball because you are tall. Probably 6'4??? Well, play a PF or center in high school but have a coach tell you to come walkon and give it a try at SG or PG and see how quickly you pick it up. I would hope the coach would give you more than fall practice to make the switch...That's all I'm sayin...

Guest Crawfish

I understand how someone could take this personally. I do not know the player, even though I could probably figure it out by doing a little research. I would rather not do that so I stay unbiased.

Here is my 2 cents. Obviously the staff did not feel the kid had the skills or physical attributed to play in the defensive backfield. Perhaps there are more players at that position who have the raw tools to develop into better players. That said, they must have seen some raw potential in the kid as a wide receiver; or maybe it was the work ethic they liked. Whatever it was, they gave the player a shot and perhaps he did not learn fast enough to show he had more potential than other deserving players. At this point some hard decisions had to be made. Unfortunately, this young man was not up to the task in the eyes of the staff.

Here is the bottom line; the present and future employment status of these coaches is on the line every time the team hits the field. These coaches know they must win in order to maintain their status. They could have 90 local kids (nice kids) on the team, but if they lose they will still find themselves kicking rocks. Alumni, Administration and fans require a winning team. Your friend was probably caught in a numbers game and he was (apparently) the low man on the proverbial totem pole.

BTW, I am not yet sold on Woodard as a HC, mainly based on the fact that he has not yet proven he can win at this level and I am not impressed with him when he speaks. Having said that, I believe we should give him the benefit of the doubt in decisions like this until he proves he is not the guy. Your friend may still make a great coach in HS or college. Just because he does not play at Lamar should not kill his aspiration for a career in coaching. Some of the best coaches in college and pros either played at a smaller school (NAIA) or played very little in college.