Big Man Anthony Oden transfers to Lamar

sleepy

Guest LU4LIFE
According to the Beaumont Enterprise, it's official now, Lamar has signed Oden.

That's good, now he just needs to get down here and get to work we have a championship to win!!!!B)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NickKBTV
He was brought to the airport Saturday night but I'll try to find out when he'll be in Beaumont. Everyone is going to be days late on this story. Great addition! Now that line should be pretty stacked and there is no reason we can't score more than 1 rushing TD this season!

Guest NorthoftheBorder
He was brought to the airport Saturday night but I'll try to find out when he'll be in Beaumont. Everyone is going to be days late on this story. Great addition! Now that line should be pretty stacked and there is no reason we can't score more than 1 rushing TD this season!

Amen to that!!!!!

Guest NickKBTV
With the mixture of Division 1 transfers and solid high school kids, this team will make some noise this season. Everything has to come together and time will only tell but when they do, lookout. If not this year, then next year.

Guest aapnglu
No doubt makes us a better team but does anyone else have any issues with his past? Doesn't scream class to me. Hope LU doesn't become the place where talented miscreants go to play. I would rather have some integrity with student athletes who are here to make the University special and not just make the football team better. I guess I am saying I would rather lose with integrity but celebrating a guy with two dui's and controlled substance arrest seems lame.

Guest CardAmbassador
No doubt makes us a better team but does anyone else have any issues with his past? Doesn't scream class to me. Hope LU doesn't become the place where talented miscreants go to play. I would rather have some integrity with student athletes who are here to make the University special and not just make the football team better. I guess I am saying I would rather lose with integrity but celebrating a guy with two dui's and controlled substance arrest seems lame.

No I was concerned about his past, and I would say that in fact all of us were at least concerned about it. But there were differing opinions on whether that means we should pass on signing him or add him to the team.

He is here now, so as fans we have to get behind him and hope that the coaches vetted him before signing, which they likely did, and that he is smart enough not to make the same mistakes.

Thanks for joining, hope to see you around!

Go CARDS!!!

Guest CardAmbassador
As long as they don't mess up here then I'm ok with Lamar getting these guys. If they stay out of trouble here then that means Woodard is doing a great job giving a guys a second chance and helping them get their act together.

I mentioned it on Katfans but not here. Lamar, since bringing it's football team back in 2008 has not had a single player arrested.

How many college football programs can say that in the same amount of time??

As long as they don't mess up here then I'm ok with Lamar getting these guys. If they stay out of trouble here then that means Woodard is doing a great job giving a guys a second chance and helping them get their act together.

I mentioned it on Katfans but not here. Lamar, since bringing it's football team back in 2008 has not had a single player arrested.

I was getting read to post the same thing.

With what Woodard has done with this football program keeping it completly clean since its inception i trust him and his staff on any player they want to bring in. Some people make stupid dicisions and some make stupid decisions twice. Hopefully after the second time it clicked and he has turned a new page. I don't mind giving guys a second or even sometimes a third chance but if i'm giving them a third chance they will have to prove to me that they deserve it and i think Oden in some way has to this coaching staff.

CardAmbassador, do some digging, and you'll find that we have had our share fair of trouble. The SETX media is very friendly when it comes to Lamar Football. Not saying there is anything earth shattering, but the football team isn't allowed on Crocket Street for a reason (not that it keeps them out).

CardAmbassador, do some digging, and you'll find that we have had our share fair of trouble. The SETX media is very friendly when it comes to Lamar Football. Not saying there is anything earth shattering, but the football team isn't allowed on Crocket Street for a reason (not that it keeps them out).

This is true, but really nothing to write home about.;)

Guest CardAmbassador

This is true, but really nothing to write home about.;)

I tried several different searches on Google, found nothing. If they were in trouble it wasn't serious.

Guest boomer
Let's as a community. Be as supportive as possible with these transfers and they will keep coming. Maybe we could get a rep of being the collegiate version of the Patriots "Revive your NFL career path with LU and the angry birds. Now with this strategy comes great responsibility( little spiderman twist there for those fellow nerds who recognize ). So if you see the KIDS out and that's what they are is KIDS give them some encouragement. This doesn't even have to be about football. Now if you see them out drinking or messing up kickem right in the nuts and tell them we need them so stop risking it all for something stupid like drinking. You can tell them they have their whole life to make mistakes so pace yourself and start slow. These are just some thoughts no biggie but glad the guys took a chance on us (LU) just like we are doing with them.

Guest CardAmbassador
Let's as a community. Be as supportive as possible with these transfers and they will keep coming. Maybe we could get a rep of being the collegiate version of the Patriots "Revive your NFL career path with LU and the angry birds. Now with this strategy comes great responsibility( little spiderman twist there for those fellow nerds who recognize ). So if you see the KIDS out and that's what they are is KIDS give them some encouragement. This doesn't even have to be about football. Now if you see them out drinking or messing up kickem right in the nuts and tell them we need them so stop risking it all for something stupid like drinking. You can tell them they have their whole life to make mistakes so pace yourself and start slow. These are just some thoughts no biggie but glad the guys took a chance on us (LU) just like we are doing with them.

Good advice, I would love to think that the community would react this way but just look at the comments on Beaumont Enterprise blog for example. You had to see it coming that some people are going to view this as a stupid move no matter what the kid does.

Don't take my comments the wrong way, I want the guy to succeed. I didn't necessarily want him here before, but now that he is at LU I'm behind him 100%. I'm just letting you know that some people are not going to give him the benefit of the doubt. This is something we will have to live with.

Guest boomer
No doubt. The one thing about all the bad comments is winning will erase them. That said I stands by my earlier post if enough of us are supportive from the start there is a chance we can help some of these kids. This is what I want you to ask yourself if we bring in six troubled kids and three graduate was it worth it? I said in a post yesterday that this is our Cardinals. That means we are the torch bearers for how this will progress, I love the BE but there controlling what is posted alot closer than we are I assure you that. We all here post and talk for the love of sports not to sell something through hype or controversy. I might be wrong but pretty sure we all have nonsport related careers plus the website is paid for out of pocket by blue collar workers. No hidden agendas and as of yet no sponsors. So let them print the bad stuff and we will keep on posting the true LU fans thoughts.

Once he arrives, it might take a day or two for Oden to get on the field.

“He’s going to have to take a physical,” Woodard said. “There’s some NCAA guidelines he’s got to follow. His first two practices has to be in shorts. He’s got a little ways to go.”

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/12/woodard-oden-has-a-little-ways-to-go/

I just hope Oden doesn't turn out to be another James Davis type player. But I haven't read anywhere that he's had attitude problems and with his friend Campbell on the team maybe he'll dedicate himself to football. They are both NFL caliber players so they should have plenty to play for.

UT-Austin has gone almost 6 days with no one getting arrested, so I guess they are not in the running.

UT-Austin has gone almost 6 days with no one getting arrested, so I guess they are not in the running.

sadly we'll never win that award. lol

Guest CardAmbassador
I didn't see him on the sidelines in practice tonight.

Not surprised as Woodard said there would be multiple hurdles for him to clear first. NCAA rules to address and such.