4 — 7:30 p.m.

5 — 7:30 p.m.

6 — 9 a.m.

8 — 7:30 p.m.

9 — 7:30 p.m.

10 — 7:30 p.m.

11 — 7:30 p.m.

12 — 8 a.m.

15 — 8 a.m. (practice fields), 7:30 p.m.

For the full schedule: http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/03/lamar-football-practice-schedule/

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CardAmbassador
Does anyone know if the team is practicing in PUS or on the practice field? Maybe both?

Reading the blog it looks like they're just at PUS. Although I bet once they start scrimmaging the second or third teams might be out on the practice fields so they can get everyone working at once.

Guest CardAmbassador

The D Line started the first practice on the practice fields and then about 30 minutes into practice joined the rest of the team.

I made this the practice thread so if anyone makes it out and you feel like sharing something about the experience do it here.

If anyone goes out there tonight look for Oden again. Maybe he will be in a jersey?

Guest Mahler

I didn't get to stay for long since one of my boys got sick but I didn't notice Oden out there - but he could have been in a jersey and I didn't recognize him. Also I noticed Forney was practicing tonight with the offensive line and fullbacks, not in a green jersey at all!

Coaches must have thought he looked really rusty last night. :whistle:

Guest LU4LIFE
I did notice at tonight practice that Billy Chavis did not practice with the team I don't know if he got injured at yesterday's practice or what.

I did not see Billy Chavis or Oden at tonight's practice.. Forney didn't take any snaps and stood on the sidelines throughout most of the practice. The entire team looks bigger than last year. Who was the guy on the sidelines in the a&m shirt and shorts?

Can't wait to see them in pads .

Guest CardinalClaw
Billy was on the sidelines in shorts an a shirt. I don't know who the guy in the A&M cloths was but he needs to trade that stuff in for some LAMAR gear. :)

Guest CardAmbassador

Really appreciate the comments guys as I can't get out to any of the practices anymore. :(

Hope Chavis is OK, we hear some news on Oden and the A&M shorts guy is another possible recruit to LU!!

Guest LU4LIFE
Another thing that I notice at practice was that Kollin Kahler was booting the ball pretty good during the punting drills, that was encouraging to see after how he looked in the first practice.

In my opinion that may work. he is big enough and he plays basketball as well which requires good hand/eye coordination. there was a reason he was offered a scholorship and it wasnt because they thought hed be a QB.

Guest NorthoftheBorder

Call me a skeptic Coach but I don't see him beating out Billy Chavis, Kevin Davis or Jacob Hanna. I know Hanna personally, he is the fastest of the the three I believe and he is a beast. Loves contact! Chavis and Davis or pretty good themselves no doubt. Forney needs to move to defensive line in my opinion. He could wind up being 6'5" and 275-280 in a year or two and be very productive for LU at that position, if the Dawg backers who claim that he really does have a good attitude and work ethic (which is contrary to what was said during last years controversy). He did QB Big Ned to the playoffs again last year for what that is worth.

Guest CardAmbassador
After seeing how rusty forney was and how well the other QBS were doing. Forney himself might have requested it. I said it from the beginning we didn't want Forney for his throwing abilities.

From reading the article is appears Woodard told Forney that if he wants to see any action on the field this year he better switch positions. How well can he catch the ball? Didn't Chavis drop a lot of balls last year so they didn't throw to him much? Forney wasn't getting much respect when Lamar signed him so maybe he can prove everybody wrong and make an impact this season.

Guest CardAmbassador
After seeing how rusty Rodney was and how well the other ABS were doing. Forney himself might have requested it. I said it from the beginning we didn't want Rodney for his throwing abilities.

I am confused. Who is "Rodney" and the "other ABS"?

Autocorrect on my phone is a pain. Haven't been near a computer all day. I meant forney.

New "In The Cards" post:

Quarterback Jeremy Johnson and linebacker Asim Hicks were treated and released from a local hospital for heat exhaustion after practice Saturday.

The two-hour practice started at 9 a.m. and was the team’s first in daylight hours. The team also wore shoulder pads for the first time.

Medics called to Lamar treated a few other players at the athletic complex for heat exhaustion.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/

Guest LU4LIFE
From reading the article is appears Woodard told Forney that if he wants to see any action on the field this year he better switch positions. How well can he catch the ball? Didn't Chavis drop a lot of balls last year so they didn't throw to him much? Forney wasn't getting much respect when Lamar signed him so maybe he can prove everybody wrong and make an impact this season.

Chavis did have some dropped passes but from what I remember of last season the coaching staff didn't really throw it his way much the whole season and kept him in to help the O line block.

Guest bigred360

Billy Chavis was recruited by ATM out of Beaumont West Brook as an athlete because he played so many different positions in HS. I have no doubt he can catch the football.

However, IMO I think Hanna is the best prospect at TE. I think Chavis would be better on defense.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tamu/football/recruiting/player-Billy-Chavis-42272

Guest CardAmbassador

Chavis did have some dropped passes but from what I remember of last season the coaching staff didn't really throw it his way much the whole season and kept him in to help the O line block.

got some CPU time.

I agree, although I do remember a couple of dropped passes by Chavis he wan't entirely to blame, Bevil threw a few passes his way that were difficult to remember. Chavis was mainly used for blocking and if he stays at TE that will likely be the biggest way he contributes because I suspect the smaller slightly smaller but speedier Hannah would be the go to guy for any passing plays.

I would like to see Chavis go to the defense as a LB if he is already going to be sharing time with Forney (still not sure about if he would get alot of playing time this year or not) and Hannah (I would expect him to get PT regardless of who the other TE is). Moving Chavis would allow you to use Forney as a blocking TE for the run game and Hannah as more of a blocker and a guy who can run a few post routes to get some yards in the air.

How interesting would it be to see a play with two TE's (Forney and Hannah), the biggest section of our O line two wide out and the QB taking the snap from the shot gun. You have enough talent on the field at the point that the QB has to worry about everything. Short pass to the TE, deep passes to WR's run game with a blocker (larger TE) on the line of scrimmage or a QB keeper.

I'm sure the coaches will make the best decision for our team.

LETS GO CARDS!!