**Fall Football Practice Thread**

BRI Staff

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin Davis has the best hands of any TE and still has good size. Hanna I think will be good but uproven. Chavis has horrible hands. His athletic ability is unparalled. Thats why I think he would make a great DE. Forney in high school was mostly used as a good blocker while at TE. Watching him play basketball he had decent hands but nothing to write home about and that is a completely different shaped ball. I think Chavis will keep the job but split a lot of time with Davis. Forney is going to need a year or two to climb up the depth chart as most freshman do. Think he should be redshirted honestly.

Guest CardAmbassador
Kevin Davis has the best hands of any TE and still has good size. Hanna I think will be good but uproven. Chavis has horrible hands. His athletic ability is unparalled. Thats why I think he would make a great DE. Forney in high school was mostly used as a good blocker while at TE. Watching him play basketball he had decent hands but nothing to write home about and that is a completely different shaped ball. I think Chavis will keep the job but split a lot of time with Davis. Forney is going to need a year or two to climb up the depth chart as most freshman do. Think he should be redshirted honestly.

I agree about Chavis moving to defense, I don't know about his hands, I do remember him dropping passes last year but I thought it had more to do with bad passes, still you spend more time looking at the team than me. I was thinking we should put him at line-backer, but defensive end could suit him well too.

And I will defer to you're assessment on Forney because I know you played basketball with him. Red-shirting when we have this much talent at TE is a good idea. IMO we never recruited him for QB but for his size and competitive mentality.

I agree about Chavis moving to defense, I don't know about his hands, I do remember him dropping passes last year but I thought it had more to do with bad passes, still you spend more time looking at the team than me. I was thinking we should put him at line-backer, but defensive end could suit him well too.

And I will defer to you're assessment on Forney because I know you played basketball with him. Red-shirting when we have this much talent at TE is a good idea. IMO we never recruited him for QB but for his size and competitive mentality.

Agree on all accounts. Chavis reminds me of Lamar's version of Mario Williams. Can be a DE or OLB. Just think he would have more of impact there. We didn't use our TEs much last season.

At practice....

couple early notes:

- prewitt & bevil working 1st and 2nd team early

- not 100% sure cause I'm in stands but it looks like Dorsey not in pads-

- early drills had the offense running pretty well vs d

- in full simulation the d picking it up

- don't see Oden

- team feisty, shoving in endzone after QB was hit. "Don't touch my f'n QB"

- some good hitting going on tonight so far

Guest LU4LIFE
How is each QB doing protecting the Rock? Anyone head and shoulders above the rest?

Johnson had a INT and a fumble(he recovered it)

Prewitt had a fumble on a QB run

Bevel I didn't see have any turnovers

But no one IMO stood out from the other.

Guest CardinalClaw
Yeah I have to agree no one is out performing the others at the QB position. The new secondary coach is really intense an a lot of fun to watch coach IMO.

Guest LU4LIFE
I did notice that Campbell practiced with the first line the whole practice. They had a one on one drill with a member of the D line vs a member of the O line, and when Campbell was up the defensive line man couldn't budge him back. Tempers were definitely flying, like the ADMIN said there was a scuffle in the endzone and during the 7 on 7 JJ Hayes must not of like with the CB did because he threw the football at his head(later I watched him sake hand an make up). Also noticed Chavis still isn't practicing with the team. Very fun practice to watch tho.

Guest CardAmbassador
I did notice that Campbell practiced with the first line the whole practice. They had a one on one drill with a member of the D line vs a member of the O line, and when Campbell was up the defensive line man couldn't budge him back. Tempers were definitely flying, like the ADMIN said there was a scuffle in the endzone and during the 7 on 7 JJ Hayes must of not like with the CB did because he threw the football at his head(later I watched him sake hand an make up). Also noticed Chavis still isn't practicing with the team. Very fun practice to watch tho.

Not happy to hear about that but I'm glad they made up. I'm happy the players are getting into the practices, it sounds very intense.

I completely agree about the Secondary Coach (Johnson?). At the one practice I made he made an impression on me.

Guest LU4LIFE
I did notice that Campbell practiced with the first line the whole practice. They had a one on one drill with a member of the D line vs a member of the O line, and when Campbell was up the defensive line man couldn't budge him back. Tempers were definitely flying, like the ADMIN said there was a scuffle in the endzone and during the 7 on 7 JJ Hayes must of not like with the CB did because he threw the football at his head(later I watched him sake hand an make up). Also noticed Chavis still isn't practicing with the team. Very fun practice to watch tho.

Not happy to hear about that but I'm glad they made up. I'm happy the players are getting into the practices, it sounds very intense.

I completely agree about the Secondary Coach (Johnson?). At the one practice I made he made an impression on me.

IMO when you play a physical game like football tempers are going to fly at some point, but you just got to separate the two players let them cool down and let them realize you are both competing for the same thing. I love the secondary coach you can see the passion in him when you watch him coach.

Guest CardAmbassador

Is Oden back?

Is Ekpe still there? #9

Which Kicker is more accurate with Field Goals?

Anything and everything about QB battle. Especially consistency and TO ratio

Injuries? Anyone not working with the team.

Which RB's are getting the most carries?

I'm sure people will think of other things.

Is Oden back?

Is Ekpe still there? #9

Which Kicker is more accurate with Field Goals?

Anything and everything about QB battle. Especially consistency and TO ratio

Injuries? Anyone not working with the team.

Which RB's are getting the most carries

I'm sure people will think of other things

-No #9

-Dorsey still not in pads

-Haven't seen Oden

some things that stood out at practice tonight.

-smith(former qb)looked real good at receiver

-blake chavis will help us on the dline

-the new kicker is better at kick offs

-prewitt looked better than bevil

-j johnson looked good

-didnt see billy chavis

-campbell is huge

-the whole team looks bigger

Guest NorthoftheBorder
-Beard with a couple big licks early-

-LU WR's all have good hands

-offense running ball well early

-agree with earlier comments about secondary coach. A passionate guy.

Beard is,has and always will be a big hitter! He will handle the LB chores quite well for LU. Hope his knee has healed and he can perform at his peak level!

Guest CardAmbassador
I didn't see Billy Chavis at practice tonight either, someone with a connection in the AD's office needs to find out whats up with this.

You have to start wondering if Chavis is having the same problems Ekpe. Didn't they stop going to practice at the same time? Does anyone remember seeing Chavis the first week of practice?

Guest CardAmbassador
I saw him at practice up until yesterday. Monday he was at practice but didn't practice with the team.

Who knows what's up. Keep an eye out for him.

First Scrimmage is on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. after today practices are moving to the mornings for a little bit. Two-a-days will be at 9 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.