**Fall Football Practice Thread**

BRI Staff

Guest CardinalClaw
I have noticed the last two practices that Campbell has been practicing at the guard position. I don't know if he will move from tackle to guard or if he might play both spots but it makes me wonder which one Oden will be playing. We might see them both on the same side of the line.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CardinalClaw
Daniel Campbell, Jacody Coleman and Kendrick Prejean did not practice tonight with the team. Coleman looked fine, I could not tell there was anything wrong with him. Campbell has something wrong with his left leg, he was walking with a noticeable limp. Prejean must of hurt his ankle because he was in a boot. Still no separation at the QB position, one good thing I can say is Johnson looked good in the redzone drill toward the end of practice. He threw two TD passes an ran one in out of four attempts.

Guest CardAmbassador
Daniel Campbell, Jacody Coleman and Kendrick Prejean did not practice tonight with the team. Coleman looked fine, I could not tell there was anything wrong with him. Campbell has something wrong with his left leg, he was walking with a noticeable limp. Prejean must of hurt his ankle because he was in a boot. Still no separation at the QB position, one good thing I can say is Johnson looked good in the redzone drill toward the end of practice. He threw two TD passes an ran one in out of four attempts.

Bad to hear about those star players not playing. Hopefully all is well or not severe.

Thanks for keeping me updated on the QB battle when you go.

Guest CardinalClaw

Bad to hear about those star players not playing. Hopefully all is well or not severe.

Thanks for keeping me updated on the QB battle when you go.

No problem CA.

An update from the "In The Cards" blog:

Three freshman tight ends are helping the Lamar University offense deal with a pair of injuries.

Woodard complimented Dionte Forney (Nederland), Caleb Shelly (Coldspring) and Payden McVey (Deer Park) for their understanding of the offense less than two weeks into preseason practices.

They’ve stepped in for West Brook graduate Billy Chavis (right knee) and junior Kevin Davis (shoulder) as they recover from injuries.

“They’re further along than most freshmen,” Woodard said. “They know the playbook. They don’t make a lot of mistakes. Dionte, I thought he could catch the ball but he’s a little better blocker than I thought he was going to be. Payden McVey is just an all-around solid player. Caleb Shelly has really grown into it and is really doing it.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/

Christopher Dabe is at practice tonight and has posted these tweets:

O-linemen Joey Chavez (foot) and Daniel Campbell (foot) did not practice. TE Billy Chavis (knee) still out.

Now Doug Prewitt with a well-placed throw to the end zone. These QBs seem to make the most of their chances.

Andre Bevil throws perfect pass to J.J. Hayes for a 35-yd TD. Pass over two defenders, into Hayes' outstretched arms at goal line.

Lamar coaches are not tipping their hand w/ regard to picking starting QB, playing Prewitt, Bevil & Johnson equally.

Jeremy Johnson throws deep passes with what appears to be little effort. He might not start opener but will get snaps.

Just saw a familiar sight for PN-G fans at Lamar football practice: QB Harrison Tatum handing off to RB Caleb Harmon.

Still no sign of new O-lineman Anthony Oden yet at Lamar football practices.

Guest CardAmbassador
I didn't see Coach Woodard or Marcus Jackson on the field tonight at practice. I wonder what is up with that?

That is extremely odd. You didn't see Woodard? Were you there for the entire practice?

Guest CardAmbassador

The practice schedule for this week:

Monday: 3:30 p.m.

Tuesday: 3:30 p.m.

Wednesday: 7:30 p.m.

Thursday: 3:30 p.m.

Friday: 3:30 p.m.

Guest CardAmbassador

Some notes from @CmDabe on tonights scrimmage:

Lamar WR Marcus Jackson is back in pads after having wisdom teeth removed Thursday. Did not play in scrimmage Saturday.

Lamar QB Doug Prewitt will get another concussion test tomorrow & will practice Wednesday if cleared, coach Ray Woodard said. #BEscores

MLB Jacody Coleman also not practicing. #BEscores

Guest CardAmbassador
“I’m originally from Buffalo, N.Y., where it’s six or seven feet of snow usually,” said Oden, who did not finish his first practice in shoulder pads Monday, when the heat index in Beaumont registered at 102 degrees.

Oden also said his lower weight from when he played at the University of Arkansas is a result of conditioning. The 6-foot-7 Oden said he wanted to weigh closer to 300 pounds instead of the 328 at which he was listed at Arkansas.

“I’m quicker,” Oden said. “I believe I can be more consistent. I believe I can be more technical. Playing offensive line, a lot of technique comes with your hips. I’m more flexible.”

Oden also looks forward to pairing up with former teammate Daniel Campbell, who signed with but did not attend Southern Cal and Houston before coming to Lamar. They played one season together at Hargrave Military Academy.

“I know we’ll create a lot of havoc because we did it before,” Oden said. “But it’s a different level of football. It’s a different level of competition. College football is no joke no matter what level of football. You have to come out. You have to work hard. You have to prove yourself. I think me and Anthony, if we continue to work like I know I’m going to push myself and I know he’s going to push himself, we’ll do great.”

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/23/anthony-oden-talks-about-heat-lower-playing-weight/

“I’m originally from Buffalo, N.Y., where it’s six or seven feet of snow usually,” said Oden, who did not finish his first practice in shoulder pads Monday, when the heat index in Beaumont registered at 102 degrees.

Oden also said his lower weight from when he played at the University of Arkansas is a result of conditioning. The 6-foot-7 Oden said he wanted to weigh closer to 300 pounds instead of the 328 at which he was listed at Arkansas.

“I’m quicker,” Oden said. “I believe I can be more consistent. I believe I can be more technical. Playing offensive line, a lot of technique comes with your hips. I’m more flexible.”

Oden also looks forward to pairing up with former teammate Daniel Campbell, who signed with but did not attend Southern Cal and Houston before coming to Lamar. They played one season together at Hargrave Military Academy.

“I know we’ll create a lot of havoc because we did it before,” Oden said. “But it’s a different level of football. It’s a different level of competition. College football is no joke no matter what level of football. You have to come out. You have to work hard. You have to prove yourself. I think me and Anthony, if we continue to work like I know I’m going to push myself and I know he’s going to push himself, we’ll do great.”

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/23/anthony-oden-talks-about-heat-lower-playing-weight/

I found this interesting:

Oden said Lamar is the only school he considered. He said “big-time” schools tried to contact him, but he talked only with Lamar.

Oden said his brother, Greg, a former NBA No. 1 draft pick with the Portland Trail Blazers, and their family will likely attend a few Lamar games.

Guest CardinalClaw

Channel 6 news had interviews with Oden an Johnson today, I'm sure they will replay them at 10 tonight.

Johnson said if he does not win the starting QB position this year that he just wants to help contribute weather it is being a voice on the sideline or where ever the coach's want him to.