Update on Ekpe

BRI Staff

Guest NorthoftheBorder
This was expected by the coaches.

Academics? I think we still have some talent at LB. He did have a lot of experience from last year. Can he get eligible for next year?

Guest CardAmbassador

Could this have been the motivation for Coleman to LB in the first place? I'm just wondering about how many more guys we're going to lose when summer school grades come in. Anyone hearing anything.

I really hate to lose guys to academics but what can you do, don't they already have access to the athletic department tutors?

Yes they do. These guys and girls have the opertunity of a life time to play DI of FCS sports and it really makes me mad when they don't take advantage of it. There are hundereds of thousands of kids out there that would love to be in the same position as many of these kids yet they just throw it away like it is nothing.

Guest CardAmbassador
Starting linebacker Johnathan Ekpe is academically ineligible to play for the Lamar University football team this season unless he wins an appeal with the NCAA, coach Ray Woodard said Tuesday.

The loss of Ekpe would leave the Cardinals without thier second-leading tackler (75 tackles) from last season. Woodard said there is no timetable for when he will know if Ekpe can play.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2011/08/09/lb-ekpe-ineligible-pending-appeal/

Guest CardinalClaw
I don't like that we lost Ekpe but I guess on a bright note #54 Washington the LB that will replace him looked good last season so hopefully he will show up big for us.

I don't like that we lost Ekpe but I guess on a bright note #54 Washington the LB that will replace him looked good last season so hopefully he will show up big for us.

Washington was #2 on the depth charge behind Ekpe last year and he was only a freshman. Anthony Beard is healthy so he should also get some playing time. Lamar should be ok at linebacker without him, but you hate to see this happen.

Guest CardAmbassador

Washington was #2 on the depth charge behind Ekpe last year and he was only a freshman. Anthony Beard is healthy so he should also get some playing time. Lamar should be ok at linebacker without him, but you hate to see this happen.

Yes and with the addition of Coleman to the line we should be fine, it just hurts the depth chart a little bit.

I'm still wondering what the chances are on this appeal.