Bob West: Price is set to become next Lamar head coach

coachacola

Here is what i do not understand. Not one person on this message board has said that Price is the best choice for Lamar's basketball team, not one.

That's because no one on this message board KNOWS who the best choice is. It's a MESSAGE BOARD. We're all arm-chair AD's throwing our opinions out there.

Tic Price enjoys working at Lamar (PK didn't), he wants to succeed at Lamar, and he has won before. Seems like a solid pick to me.

Bob West is now complaining that Lamar hasn't hired Price and puts some of the blame on an article in the Beaumont enterprise. He also seems clueless to the fact that Lamar has the money to buy out Knight's contract. Just a few weeks ago Bob West was saying Lamar should use Pat Foster to lead a coaching search, now he's disappointed Price wasn't hired right away.

http://m.panews.com/portarthur/pm_113091/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=wDnBkZAG

I have two sources saying that "it is done" Tic Price will be named the next LU head coach in the coming days.

Decisions like this without a legit coaching search are why some of our athletic programs are complete jokes. I'll be pulling for Price, but not opening up a real search to at minimum gauge interest is just laughable.

Here is what i do not understand. Not one person on this message board has said that Price is the best choice for Lamar's basketball team, not one.

That's because no one on this message board KNOWS who the best choice is. It's a MESSAGE BOARD. We're all arm-chair AD's throwing our opinions out there.

Tic Price enjoys working at Lamar (PK didn't), he wants to succeed at Lamar, and he has won before. Seems like a solid pick to me.

Absolutely! That is why i like this message board!

Being a MESSAGE BOARD; however, someone should think he is the best choice? Shouldn't they? Thanks for stating that you think he is the best choice. The people on this board are typically more knowledgable than the average fan, excluding myself of course. I appreciate Baller's response as well. I understand him to believe Price is at a minimum an acceptable choice. However, fitting in well, familiarity, being 'acceptable', would not be criterion for basing my personal hiring decision.

I have two sources saying that "it is done" Tic Price will be named the next LU head coach in the coming days.

Decisions like this without a legit coaching search are why some of our athletic programs are complete jokes. I'll be pulling for Price, but not opening up a real search to at minimum gauge interest is just laughable.

+1

Bob West is now complaining that Lamar hasn't hired Price and puts some of the blame on an article in the Beaumont enterprise. He also seems clueless to the fact that Lamar has the money to buy out Knight's contract. Just a few weeks ago Bob West was saying Lamar should use Pat Foster to lead a coaching search, now he's disappointed Price wasn't hired right away.

I am glad you said Lamar has the money to make their own decisions. one would think a few hundred thousand here or there should not break the bank. I agree with you on West. He was the same way with Woodard. His articles are basically gossip columns meant to stir up conversation. With that said, he seams to be pretty good at what he does... While providing little 'real' information.

What makes you think that interviews or at least phone contact has not been made with other coaches interested in the job? I can assure you that coaches interested have made contact with LU athletic department. And I know for a fact that at least one other coach has met in person face to face with the LU athletic department.

What makes you think that interviews or at least phone contact has not been made with other coaches interested in the job? I can assure you that coaches interested have made contact with LU athletic department. And I know for a fact that at least one other coach has met in person face to face with the LU athletic department.

Because you said "it's done" and there has been ZERO word as to whom the candidates are.

I do NOT understand is pro Price stance AT ALL?! It makes me wonder if he (West) isn't getting a kickback from someone to support him? Why in the world would you open this up and do a normal, legitimate search? It makes no sense. And, in the world of college athletics, $400,000 is chump change. We have about 10,000 students? Charge them a $5 per semester fee for something over the next 4 years. Big whoop.

I will just wait and see. Lets see where we are in 4 years. One thing I have figured out through the years is that many who are support and are around the program (sports writers, donors and supporters) want a particular coach to be hired because they have some sort of relationship with them and that will give them access to the program they otherwise wouldn't have.

Because you said "it's done" and there has been ZERO word as to whom the candidates are.

I can tell you that a ton of coaches have contacted LU. Some really qualified and some that I would not consider for high school jobs in SE Texas. And LU has spoke with several of them. However, we have to understand this is LU...literally the worst team in the country. Not many big names or resumes jumping at the shot to come to LU, especially with currently only ONE scholly available.