Bob West: Price is set to become next Lamar head coach

coachacola

Quote from West's article. "There were some folks who came out Saturday night that seldom attend basketball games. They were there to show their support for Tic, and they were seen by people who needed to see them." One of those was the famous Bob West. That may have been the only game I saw him at all year.

I had heard that. I just think that it is a low class statement to put in the paper, even if you don't like the previous coach and since I know you are a regular attender, how many games did you see Bob at.

None until PK was fired.

I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of Tic Price as the head coach. They've hired so many coaches with high expectations that turned out to be losers that I'm tired of expecting anything except maybe a 20 year season every now and then.

Pat Knight dropped the program to a whole new low, so hiring Tic Price means I won't be expecting much, especially next year when he'll be coaching most of Knight's players. If he does happen to win then I'll be pleasantly surprised, otherwise I won't be disappointed when they lose more than they win.

Two concerns if Tic is hired. One he is probably not looking to move to a higher profile school in the future. Two his overall record is not significantly above 50%. Unless LU is winning significantly more than 50% I don't think the crowds will come back very quickly. I won't count next years record against whoever the coach is. Some would argue that a decent coach who is happy to be at LU is a good thing, but I think to really start winning it might take someone who has a high winning percentage and is looking to move up in the future.

My perception whe Price coached McNeese was that he coached sub-D1 talent into scrappy teams with above-average results in the Southland. I think he's a good X's and O's guy and a great motivator, but a poor recruiter. I'm sure he'll do better than Knight, who was historically bad, but I can't see this being a good permanent choice.

Issues with Tic Price as the HC without a search...

The Memphis Tigers have had only one season worse than the 13-15 season under Price in his second/last season at Memphis since 1970...That's 44 seasons!!!

and

His first season at Mcneese was successful with Everharts team intact from a 20 win season the year before, but they dropped off after that and never regained form as a serious SLC contender.

So outside of his time at UNO some almost 20 years ago, what makes him the best candidate? I will support him if he is the hire, but I am skeptical that this is the RIGHT move. I will be the first to admit I'm wrong if he turns this thing around and gets LU into a 20+ win team regularly in a few years.

So did Walter Umphrey tell Lamar that they can (a) keep Pat Knight for 2 more years or (b) take my $400K and hire Tic Price or © take my $400K and consider Tic Price but you can do a legit job search. I hope it was "c" but I'm afraid it was "b".

That is a very good question!!!!

I'm starting to wonder if we are actually doing a more thorough search than what has been implied by Bob West and others. I would think that if the plan all along has been to hire Tic that it would have been a done deal by now: if Tic's the guy, let him get out recruiting ASAP and get the program back on stable footing. It's foolish to wait another week before making the announcement (if Tic is the new coach) as it is time lost we can't afford to lose.

But by waiting now at least four days since the end of the season to make this announcement, it makes me think that there is at least some serious examination going on of other candidates. I really like Green--I'm not as high on Evans (I thought his comments after not getting the job last time were rather unprofessional and his statement about there being 'little difference' between D-2 and the Southland was naive--no matter how bad the Southland is...). I doubt Terry Johnson is interested in the job, but if he is, we should certainly consider him, despite my preference for a proven head coach.

I will say that I won't be that disappointed if Tic is chosen as the coach--I like how the team played for him down the stretch and he's a more than capable game coach. I am worried that he's not a good enough recruiter given his ~.500 record at McNeese: it might be a little easier to recruit to LU than McNeese, but it's not night-and-day. I could care less about some 20-year old affair--it's so far in the past that it's not relevant and shouldn't be of concern to folks, IMHO.

Guest southland
The NCAA will probably ease its academic progress rate (APR) requirements as it is believed by many coaches and administrators that as many as fifty schools might be ineligible for post season play next year if they don't .That may help our Cards .

I'm starting to wonder if we are actually doing a more thorough search than what has been implied by Bob West and others. I would think that if the plan all along has been to hire Tic that it would have been a done deal by now: if Tic's the guy, let him get out recruiting ASAP and get the program back on stable footing. It's foolish to wait another week before making the announcement (if Tic is the new coach) as it is time lost we can't afford to lose.

But by waiting now at least four days since the end of the season to make this announcement, it makes me think that there is at least some serious examination going on of other candidates. I really like Green--I'm not as high on Evans (I thought his comments after not getting the job last time were rather unprofessional and his statement about there being 'little difference' between D-2 and the Southland was naive--no matter how bad the Southland is...). I doubt Terry Johnson is interested in the job, but if he is, we should certainly consider him, despite my preference for a proven head coach.

I will say that I won't be that disappointed if Tic is chosen as the coach--I like how the team played for him down the stretch and he's a more than capable game coach. I am worried that he's not a good enough recruiter given his ~.500 record at McNeese: it might be a little easier to recruit to LU than McNeese, but it's not night-and-day. I could care less about some 20-year old affair--it's so far in the past that it's not relevant and shouldn't be of concern to folks, IMHO.

Affair? Seriously...that's all you think it was?

Recruiting? Seriously? We are about to hire a head coach and you want to rush into for recruiting when we only have ONE spot to fill? No. Do the search the right way...but don't include Price as one of the candidates.

Affair? Seriously...that's all you think it was?

Let's be honest here. Very few figures in athletics are saints. Would there be such an uproar over ethics if Rick Pitino was a canidate? Doubtful, because of his win record. All Tic has to do is come in and win and there wont be any other mention of that incident.

Guest austinred
While Tic Price is not my first choice, he certainly is not a bad choice. His record at McNeese in five seasons was 74 - 68. In the eight seasons since firing him, McNeese has gone 112 - 136 with two winning records in eight seasons.

While Tic Price is not my first choice, he certainly is not a bad choice. His record at McNeese in five seasons was 74 - 68. In the eight seasons since firing him, McNeese has gone 112 - 136 with two winning records in eight seasons.

But go look at what they did before him under Everheart. Price took a good team and won then things went down hill when that team graduated. Sounds familiar!!!

By your assesment above then Roc was a great coach.

Here is what i do not understand. Not one person on this message board has said that Price is the best choice for Lamar's basketball team, not one. If we emotionally step away from the decision and ask... What coach gives Lamar the best chance for success long term.... Discard the history of Price, discard the fact that the Umphrey's enjoy the Price's at dinner parties, discard the $ issues.... Who is the best choice that will work for Lamar for a typical Southland head coaching wage? We need to hire that guy. If it is Price, i need to know how the decision was derived and why he was chosen over other candidates. If the AD and President do not hire the best guy for the job or can't support their decision, it will completely negate and undermine the administrations ability to lead Lamar in the right direction, in my opinion. If the admin cannot navigate thru this situation successfully maybe we need new leadership? Or if the worst is true and the decision is associated with money, ego, and power... Fire the AD and President and let the Umphrey's run the school and also have the responsibility for their decisions.

I am holding out belief that the Admin is in control and will do what is best for Lamar basketball until i see otherwise

Lets look at some advantages and disadvantages of our current Menes basketball situation . Many believe The women's basketball and softball coach hirings were solid.The AD should get some street credibility for that.He would be talking to other AD's,coaches,Presidents,the NCAA,supporters,staff for input not seen here.For example Price' respect by other Lamar coaches was evidenced by they and their players attendance at games he coached and in their conversations .When Price was needed to monitor a Sunday softball doubleheader or weekend soccer match ,he was there.There is an advantage when the administration and other coaches find someone to be dependable even when something extra Is needed over the years.Price's failings at Memphis is a disadvantage. But,the fact that McNeese,North Texas and Lamar hired him after that and he won numerous coaching awards from his peers after Memphis rehabilitates those issues significantly.the disadvantage that some hold so tightly to here are not as significant to many of the young men he will be recruiting.If a number of high dollar supporters desire input that can have advantages if it reduces guarantee games,provides competitive extras like a bus,helps with NCAA compliant comparable wage jobs etc. Another advantage is we can hire from inside without a search and continue recruiting currently being done.A disadvantage to hiring outside is the hiring timeline requirements including diversity interviews.Hiring price has the advantage of sending a positive diversity message to coaches in and outside the area Price's success with Evehart and Jones is an advantage but his mediocre record after his first year as head for cowboys is a disadvantage .It must be noted hurricane damage at McNeese greatly effected their teams,more so than here,while price was coach .I do support hiring Price as do many I know but will continue to support whoever is hired and our school and its leadership .