LU football eyes second scrimmage

coachacola

The countdown clock to the start of the 2014 season is quickly approaching zero. Football teams across the country are starting to increase preparations for the season opener. It is the same way on the Lamar campus as Lamar is 15 days away from its season opener against Grambling State. The Lamar coaching staff will get another look at the team Saturday when the Cardinals step on the field for a 7 p.m. scrimmage at Provost Umphrey Stadium.

"We are treating this scrimmage like it is an actual game," said head coach Ray Woodard. "We will have officials out here. I want to see how our guys are going to handle themselves in actual game scenarios. It's hard to imagine, but the season opener is only two weeks away."

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081514aab.html

I will be there tonight. Not as good at evaluating football scrimmages as some on here but I can give my limited two cents when they are done. Hopefully, I shall see some of y'all out there tonight as well. We only have 14 more days until we are in the stands for Lamar football!

PAT was not blocked, the defense was offside. It was a tale of two halves. Offense dominated the defense in the first half and the defense took over with two int's in the second half. Offense has no problem getting the ball into the red zone but can not punch it into the end zone. Caleb Berry was off with his receivers tonight, just not on the same page at times. There were also at least five dropped passes including a wide open Reggie in the end zone. Defense has a lot of speed. Cade Harrington delivered a huge blow to a DB in the first half that had the crowd cheering. He did not play another series after that. Number 15 tonight was dazzling. Lightning fast, made some great plays at WR and returned a kickoff for 80 yards. Having both him and Johnson returning kicks should be a blast to watch. Special teams, minus the one 80 yard return, was fantastic. The average starting field position off the offense coming off of a kick off was the 18 yard line. There were two stops inside the fifteen. I see a ton of potential on the defensive side and if the receivers can hold onto the ball then the offense is unstoppable.

Lamar Cardinals ‏@LamarCards 8m

DBs Seth Ellis and Judge Wolfe each picked off a pass. Wolfe returned his kick 60 yds for a touchdown. #PeckEm

Lamar Cardinals ‏@LamarCards 10m

#LUFootball defensive stats from scrimmage LB Eddie McGill 6 tackles, including 5 solos; DE Joe Okafor had four tackles and a sack ...

Lamar Cardinals ‏@LamarCards 13m

More #LUFootball scrimmage stats RB Kade Harrington had 4 rushes for 81 yds, including a 71-TD score on the 4th play of the night.

Lamar Cardinals ‏@LamarCards 15m

Stats from Saturday's #LUFootball scrimmage. QB Caleb Berry was 18-7-1 for 99 yds. Rex Dausin was 13-7-1 for 66 yds.