LU adds UT transfer

coachacola

It's possible he wasn't going to see much playing time at UT.

Hampton might be more of a developmental prospect compared to his peers in this group, but the dude can hit and plays with intensity. He’s quick enough that it’s not hard to envision Hampton emerging as a playmaker on special teams coverage and carving out a role there as a freshman.

Stacked might not be the right word, but Texas has a lot of linebackers returning this season. All of them, actually, pending any offseason departures. Dalton Santos and Steve Edmond are the incumbent starters at inside linebacker, but Hampton can push them and make them better.

Maybe LU's special teams just got a little better?

http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/texas/tag/_/name/cameron-hampton

I know Texas just landed a big commit in Malik Jefferson who 247sports had as the #1 OLB in the nation but I took a look at their message board and many of the posters were a little confused with the transfer. They feel they were already going to be a thin position next year with a lot of young players in the expected 2-deep. They are also a little shocked LU announced he had signed before UT even announced he would seek a transfer. Another thing that surprised me is typically when you see a guy transfer after 1 year in a FBS program (especially after that 1 year is a RS) they go JUCO to leave the option open to get back to the FBS level without sitting out a year. Either way it's an important pick-up for LU.

If he's already signed with LU then he would no longer have a scholarship for the spring at UT so I'd expect him to be at LU in the spring and participating in practices. The more I've read it sounds like he didn't fit Charlie Strong and DC Vance Bedford's style of play. He was a Mack Brown recruit that Strong honored his commitment. One reported talked to his mother and she said LU was "A better fit".

As I said in another post once our depth improves our special teams should as well.

I'm not sure if Hampton replaced Beard if he doesn't get a 6th year though...Hampton needs to pack on some pounds in order to play inside imo. Beard, Ronnie Jones, Eddie McGill, and Shawn Jones were our 2 deep ILBs this past season...the first 3 were listed at 235 lbs and the other at 225 as a true freshman. Reggie Long RS'd this season and is built similar to Beard so I'd expect him to get a look at Beard's spot unless Hargis (also 235 but taller than than the others) gets moved inside. None the less I still expect Hampton to be on the field a lot in 2015 somewhere on the outside