What's Up With the Baseball Team?

eagle eye

We looked pretty decent W/L wise After sweeping Manhatten College in February a 7 game losing streak from March 6 to March 15 that likely would have been 8 had it not been for a rainout against Rice. Is it just the streaky nature of this team or the inability to beat a quality opponent? Need some guys to step up it seems. What makes it look even worse is from Feb 27 to Mar 15 the Cards were 1-10 with a rainout. They did win yesterday which is a good thing and they are up 8-4 so far in the ACU half of the 7th inning.

Honestly? Gilligan is wrong with the baseball team. Well, him and the bullpen. Lol Gilligan is going to the bullpen in the fifth or sixth every game and the bullpen just doesn't have it this year. What is worse is that he is using Chapman and Love out of the pen instead of putting them in the rotation. They are the two best pitchers on this team. Placing them in the rotation where they belong will free up Danny Fernandez and Eric Foshee to be the much needed quality arms coming out of them pen. Offense is doing ok. Cutter McDowel was injured so he is out but for the most part the offense is intact. If Gilligan learned how to use the rotation and pen better this team would have several more wins. I understand he is trying to protect Chapman and Love as they are both coming off a surgeries and Chap is coming off of back to back surgeries. But still, the team needs them or it is going to get very nasty very quickly.

After dominating ACU in the first two games, Gilligan once again decided to tinker with the rotation by throwing McKinley instead of Foshee. What happened? McKinely was rocked. Neither Love or Chapman saw action this weekend. I just do not understand what Gilligan is doing! The rotation should be Chapman, Love, Angelle, and Foshee for weekday games. Instead it is Angelle, Fernandez, and usually Foshee with either McKinley or Hibbs during the week. This is a nightmare to watch.

He didn't see much action, but I think Chapman came in late yesterday (8th-9th inning). Here's an excerpt from the play by play on lamarcardinals.com http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2014-2015/lu27.html

[TABLE=width: 90%]

[TR=bgcolor: #fff8dc]

[TD]Abilene Christian 8th - Chapman, C. to p for Leggett, K.. C. Hall flied out to cf. A. Draper grounded out to ss. K. Carroll singled to third base, advanced to second on a throwing error by 3b. T. Eager intentionally walked. R. Crippen struck out looking. 0 runs, 1 hit, 1 error, 2 LOB.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR=bgcolor: #87cefa]

[TD]Lamar 8th - N. Palacios to p for L. Zotyka. Markum, K. singled to right field. Arechiga, J. pinch ran for Markum, K.. Santana, K. grounded out to p, SAC, bunt; Arechiga, J. advanced to second. Satran, B. popped up to ss. Salazar, M. singled to second base; Arechiga, J. advanced to third. Sullivan, T. pinch hit for Moore, CJ. Sullivan, T. grounded out to 2b. 0 runs, 2 hits, 0 errors, 2 LOB.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR=bgcolor: #fff8dc]

[TD]Abilene Christian 9th - Arechiga, J. to rf. Chapman, C. to p for Sullivan, T.. / for Chapman, C.. A. Copeland grounded out to 1b unassisted. M. Carter grounded out to 2b. T. Fajardo struck out looking. 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 0 LOB.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• 4 weeks later...
Wow, how low can we go! Incarnate Word win the series this weekend? I guess we're lucky we didn't get swept. 10 more games left this season and I'll bet the guys will breathe a sigh of relief when it's over. 19-24 overall and 8-13 in conference can't be what was envisioned when this thing started back in February. Maybe it is time for a change.

It couldn't get any worse, could it?? Texas Southern 6-2. I live in Sugar land and was bummed when I realized I'd be out of town when SLC tourney will be played here next month. Oh well! Doesn't look like we'll make it. I don't think theres been a worse Lu team. Recruiting is lazy and uninspired. Need players!!!

I don't think so, but SLC tournament hopes are on life support. Eight teams make the tournament. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, currently #8, has a 11-13 record conference record with 6 games remaining. Houston Baptist, currently #7, has a 12-12 record with 6 games remaining. Central Arkansas, currently #6, has a 13-11 record with 6 games remaining. I think eash of these are mathematically still in reach. (Maybe even Nicholls with a 14-10 conference record if they have a complete disintegration against 3-21 New Orleans and 16-7 Northwestern St.)

Stephen F. Austin, at 9-17 and just ahead of the Cardinals in the standings, has 3 games remaining. The Cardinals have an 8-16 record with 6 games remaining. Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word are ahead of Lamar in the standings, but they aren't eligible for this year's tournament so they are a non issue.

A lot of things need to happen to make the cut. The Cardinals would need to have a complete turnaround and some things would need to happen with several other teams at the same time.

Below are the upcoming games for each of the contenders for at least the #8 spot.

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi - 3 games against 9-15 Incarnate Word in San Antonio; 3 games against 12-12 Houston Baptist in Corpus Christi.

Houston Baptist - 3 games against 15-9 Sam Houston State in Houston; 3 games against 11-13 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in Corpus Christi.

Central Arkansas - 3 games against 20-4 Southeastern Louisiana in Hammond; 3 games against 17-10 McNeese State in Conway.

Stephen F. Austin - 3 games against Lamar in Beaumont.

Lamar - 3 games against Stephen F. Austin in Beaumont; 3 games against Sam Houston State in Huntsville.

Edited by LUSportsFan