Southland Conference Media Day

KABrother88

The Southland Conference Media Day kicks off tomorrow at the L’auberge Resort in Lake Charles. Representing the Cardinals along side Coach Woodard this year will be WR Reggie Begelton and DB Xavier Bethany. For those wanting a glimpse into the Southlnd conference this season, tune into ESPN3 (ESPN's online streaming channel) at 7PM for a 2 hour preview of the entire conference.

http://southland.org/news/2015/7/28/GEN_0728154020.aspx#.VbekxwdxPKg.twitter

Every year LU finishes higher than the preseason polls, but being picked 8th means they're still not getting respect. But everybody's grabbing a ton of FBS transfers these days (of course a few years ago LU was getting ridiculed for taking a lot of transfers) and with the loss of Berry and Roberts I guess they figure LU is taking a step back.

I think another thing that plays into it is the media coverage of programs at the FCS level is not great and sometimes it's hard to gauge how good a team actually is. With that being the case, the easiest thing to to would be look at past results. Combined since we brought football back we are 5-22 against the teams ranked above us. 2 wins were against SELA in '10 & '11 (2-3 overall) and they have vastly improved since then. 1 win was against SFA (1-3 overall) on a FG as time expired in 2013. 1 win was the same situation against McNeese last season (1-4 overall). The 5th win was against ACU last year in another nail biter. ACU got a lot of pub for nearly knocking off FBS Georgia St. then later beating FBS Troy last season. Had we played a weaker FBS opponent last season I feel like we could have made a run at an upset. Among the other teams we are 0-5 against Sam, 0-4 against UCA (although the last 2 have been down to the wire), and 0-3 against NWSt. Until we prove that these wins aren't flukes and we can consistently beat teams in the middle to upper echelon of the SLC I don't expect any respect from coaches or SIDs in these polls...although I still feel be are better than 8th this season

I think another thing that plays into it is the media coverage of programs at the FCS level is not great and sometimes it's hard to gauge how good a team actually is. With that being the case, the easiest thing to to would be look at past results. Combined since we brought football back we are 5-22 against the teams ranked above us. 2 wins were against SELA in '10 & '11 (2-3 overall) and they have vastly improved since then. 1 win was against SFA (1-3 overall) on a FG as time expired in 2013. 1 win was the same situation against McNeese last season (1-4 overall). The 5th win was against ACU last year in another nail biter. ACU got a lot of pub for nearly knocking off FBS Georgia St. then later beating FBS Troy last season. Had we played a weaker FBS opponent last season I feel like we could have made a run at an upset. Among the other teams we are 0-5 against Sam, 0-4 against UCA (although the last 2 have been down to the wire), and 0-3 against NWSt. Until we prove that these wins aren't flukes and we can consistently beat teams in the middle to upper echelon of the SLC I don't expect any respect from coaches or SIDs in these polls...although I still feel be are better than 8th this season

Also not having a QB that has played a down in a game for Lamar also hurts. I think they are underestimating Lamar and the new OC......