NLRB Reverses 2014 Decision on Player Unions

eagle eye

Here's an article from NFL.com concerning the attempt in 2013 of players at Northwestern University to form a players union. In the fall of 2013 the Northwestern players petitioned the National Labor Relations Board for forming a union of it's school athletes, especially football players. In March of 2014 the NLRB okayed the formation of a union and today they reversed the ruling saying it could create competitive imbalances.

One quote struck me as funny and a very political thing to say. Although the ruling was unanimous, officials reportedly called it a "very narrow" decision.

Here's the link to the whole article.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000511037/article/nlrb-rules-northwestern-football-players-cant-form-union

Although the ruling was unanimous, officials reportedly called it a "very narrow" decision.

Just to be helpful, "very narrow" is a legal term of art meaning that the decision doesn't have widespread applicability as opposed to meaning that it was a close call. Generally speaking (and I haven't read this decision), it means it applies to these facts (or very close facts) and a small deviation in facts could result in a different decision. For more info see point 1 of Part 4 of 4 of the web page at the following link: http://www.wikihow.com/Understand-the-Ratio-Decidendi-(Common-Law).

Just to be helpful, "very narrow" is a legal term of art meaning that the decision doesn't have widespread applicability as opposed to meaning that it was a close call. Generally speaking (and I haven't read this decision), it means it applies to these facts (or very close facts) and a small deviation in facts could result in a different decision. For more info see point 1 of Part 4 of 4 of the web page at the following link: http://www.wikihow.com/Understand-the-Ratio-Decidendi-(Common-Law).

Thanks for the clarification and it's helpful to understand what was said but to a layman I'm sure you see the irony of the statement even if it is a broad misrepresentation of what was probably meant. The fact is the original decision to allow student athletes to form a union probably had the "narrow margin" phrase somewhere. I think it's important to understand that this, and the previous ruling, was meant only for private institutions like Northwestern. State universities are under a whole different set of rules and regs and does not give state supported schools similar rights.

Thanks for the clarification and it's helpful to understand what was said but to a layman I'm sure you see the irony of the statement even if it is a broad misrepresentation of what was probably meant. The fact is the original decision to allow student athletes to form a union probably had the "narrow margin" phrase somewhere. I think it's important to understand that this, and the previous ruling, was meant only for private institutions like Northwestern. State universities are under a whole different set of rules and regs and does not give state supported schools similar rights.

Agree. It's a funny statement taken at face value.