Instant Reactions - Baylor

KABrother88

• Will go down as a loss in the record book but that has to feel like a win as far as players gaining confidence they can play with the best in the country.

• Dumb penalties have to be cut out. Some of it was due to the sheer chippyness of the game but procedure need to be addressed. Time management penalties are unacceptable from a coaching stand point.

• Earp had a really good rhythm in the 1st quarter. He's my QB because he forces defenses to gameplan the zone read which gave Baylor fits early. Even if they go with Minden, Woodard doesn't need to announce it (publicity at least) until Saturday to force Sam to do so.

• I think Rodney Randle is gonna be really good for us.

• Hopefully Tebo is fine. Don't remember seeing if Miles came back in or not...he'll be needed as well.

• Really wish next week was at home to see what kind of attendance this game could produce. If we don't show up against SHSU and SELA then this game will be to far gone for some casual fans to reward the team for I think.

• Finally, what a classless final drive by Baylor. They ran 6 pass plays including a shot at the endzone from the 40. Went for it on 4th down TWICE. And after getting a first down at the 13 with just over 1 minute left they punch one in.

-Heard Tebo is fine, didn't hear anything on Miles.

-IMO there isn't any separation between the two QB's. Earp runs a little better, Mindon throws a little better but they each can do both. After the 1st qtr last night I would've stayed with Earp in that situation. He was in a decent rhythm and his ability to run was giving Baylor another option to defend. I would've given him at least the 1st half before switching.

- I loved what I saw from Carl Harris late at RB. He ran hard and wanted the rock.

- Briles had to get to 60. There was no doubt they wouldn't stop until the final whistle on that last drive. On one hand the defense should've just stopped them and on the other he was a turd for not kneeling on it with 1:00 left 1st and 10, clock running and LU not calling timeouts. It looks better in the paper today, but the 31 his defense allowed and will stand out more to the TCU/OU's of the B12. He's gonna get his......#noclass

Good news on Tebo. Miles is still a key guy but we have better depth at DE than NT.

I took a look at the Baylor 24/7 board and quite a few of them were not pleased with running up the score either...was actually surprised by that.

Carl Harris definitely played with a chip on his shoulder.

One thing I forgot to mention but called it out multiple times in the game thread was the number of missed tackles on defense. That has to be shored up going into SLC play. Too many times played were extended or chunks of yards were broken off after we didn't wrap up.

My thoughts on the game :

Tebo, Carroll and Hale started and were able to put some pressure on their QB. That's a 300+ lb DL with plenty of backups getting playing time.

Rodney Randle is making an impact on defense and special teams.

Alex Ball is kicking the ball into the end zone. Special teams haven't given up big plays. Opponents are no longer starting their drives at midfield.

The offensive line held up well. They are relatively young so they should keep improving.

Minden and Earp are both playing well and with different skill sets should give the offense more flexibility.

Both Harris and Raleigh seem to be protecting the ball better. For the first time Lamar has good depth at running back.

The receivers are good as expected. Jennings is making catches as the TE and hopefully Langley will develop into a deep threat.

Defense did miss a lot of tackles but Baylor was fast so we should improvement in conference play.

Know one misinterpret this as saying we would have won the game, but it would have been interesting to see how much closer the game would have been had we not got the unsportsmanlike penalty in the second quarter after Bethany breaks up a long 3rd down pass, which gave them an automatic 1st down. We had momentum on our side, and even with the offsides, they had a 3rd and 11. Good chance we get the ball back and we were in an offesive rhythm. I am old school, do your celebrating after the game, not after every play!! Hell, Bethany could have striped down naked and danced on their 50 yard line if we would have won that game for all I care!! I do not care for "every damn play" celebrations!!

Lamar center did better this week snapping the ball. By the way the Oline never gets mentioned unless they screw up. They work just as hard as the skilled players on the team. You never hear them complain about me , me,me, me. Its called being team players, and the are good at being that. No favorites, no complaining, just work hard to move the ball down the field. I think Lamar has a lot of team players this year, and they will get even better if they stick together.

The Cardinals did great IMO! It was a 14 point game at half time and they gave as good as they got in the first half. The fact that the Cards hung 31 on the #4 team in the country is pretty doggone good considering we all expected much worse. I agree that Baylor going for it on 4th down twice on the last drive was pretty classless. By that time the Cards were done, as in stick a fork in them. The guys were just exhausted and the Bears gashed the hell out of us. As far as I'm concerned Lamar was done for by 49-24. The rest of the points were done in garbage time. I admire how hard Lamar played and it sure doesn't hurt them going into this week's game. On the road? Who cares. Lamar can win next week, I believe that based on what I saw last night. GO CARDS!

Lamar center did better this week snapping the ball. By the way the Oline never gets mentioned unless they screw up. They work just as hard as the skilled players on the team. You never hear them complain about me , me,me, me. Its called being team players, and the are good at being that. No favorites, no complaining, just work hard to move the ball down the field. I think Lamar has a lot of team players this year, and they will get even better if they stick together.

I remember 2 bad snaps really early, possibly 1 on each of the 1st 2 drives, but Earp was able to corral them and throw it away...wanna say one of them was just because Earp was not expecting it but the OL fired off immediately. I also noticed that the LG was the one watching for the QBs signal and then tapping the C. I've seen this from other teams but haven't recalled seeing it from us. Wonder if it was just a tactic to offset the crowd noise of if that was something they did against Bacone and I just didn't notice?

Overall I think the OL actually looked very good considering the talent that was lined up across the ball. We will have our hands full again this week with P.J. Hall and Co. but this game had to build some confidence and momentum for the big guys.

Very proud of how well Lamar performed VS Baylor. It took a Total Team Effort to put up that kind of fight. Can't say enough about our Favorite Cardinal Rodney Randle Jr. We are very pleased with his progress & transition from HS to College. As he continues to learn his new position; Look Out. I hope the Team performance against Baylor translates into Conference Success.

Peck'em

Bigcam, I for one was very pleased with progress from game 1 to game 2 that Rodney displayed. I know he had to be nervous as hell last week playing his first college game in front of the home crowd and I hoped he wouldn't get "awestruck" playing on the big stage. I think he showed he belongs already, didn't back down and even gave the fight right back...even saw that trademark smile of his when BU players got a little mouthy lol.