** LU vs IWU Game Thread **

coachacola

In my opinion it is unethical to recruit a kid, bring him to your university away from the safe confines of his home just to dump him if he has a bad season. I would never kick a kid off of a team. I would let them stay the entire 4 years. I couldn't sleep at night knowing a kid might not get a college degree, because I forced him to leave and all of his credits didn't transfer. I wouldn't want my kids to be treated that way.

In my opinion it is unethical to recruit a kid, bring him to your university away from the safe confines of his home just to dump him if he has a bad season. I would never kick a kid off of a team. I would let them stay the entire 4 years. I couldn't sleep at night knowing a kid might not get a college degree, because I forced him to leave and all of his credits didn't transfer. I wouldn't want my kids to be treated that way.

I agree. You recruit em, you should keep em for 4 years ...if they hold up their in of the deal. If they screw up or don't make their grades, then they are gone. If it turns out they just suck, too bad, you recruited em

Let's clear something up here,while most scholarships are for one year if a player leaves because his scholarship isn't renewed or they just want to leave it can hit your team's APR and a team may end up ineligible for tournament play like Central Arkansas the past two years.Their coach came in and didn't renew a lot of scholarships artfully thus the team is paying the price.It is important that if a player leaves they have above a 2.6 GPA and go to another school.So you can't just run your recruiting mistakes off which is also someone's kid.Most coaches understand this and take the high road and help kids if it's better for both to not be together.
If you are referring to my comments, no where (hopefully) did I try and imply coaches just throw kids off the team. They try and get their kids to other schools, D-2, NAIA, etc. The only point I am am making is that coaches help these kids find other schools if they are not a fit for their program anymore.

Schools have to watch their APR so they can't just revoke scholarships. Wasn't LU banned from the postseason last year because when Tic Price came in several players left the team? Tic Price just brought in a lot of freshmen as opposed to JUCO players like Roc used to do. LU doesn't bring in blue chip freshmen so it takes a few years for them to become solid D1 players. Price was saying that TAMUCC is good this year because all the freshmen they brought in are now upperclassmen.

Schools have to watch their APR so they can't just revoke scholarships. Wasn't LU banned from the postseason last year because when Tic Price came in several players left the team? Tic Price just brought in a lot of freshmen as opposed to JUCO players like Roc used to do. LU doesn't bring in blue chip freshmen so it takes a few years for them to become solid D1 players. Price was saying that TAMUCC is good this year because all the freshmen they brought in are now upperclassmen.

Check the rules. There is an adjustment GPA where a student can transfer and the present school is not penalized

Earlier in this thread i posted about the 2.6 GPA needed for transfer without APR penalty.Roc recruited some talented players that needed some help academically or with responsibility.At Indiana you can recruit players who are talented,responsible and academically strong.At our level when you get a very talented player you sometimes take a risk with academics or responsibility.Roc provided lots of oversight to players with challenges while Pat Knight believed some of the same players should handle that themselves.It was a perfect storm for APR disaster.Price has done a good job cleaning up the mess Pat Knight left in APR land thus we didn't get a two year penalty like Central Ark.In fact our teams APR has been really good under Price.Knight did not understand the different needs of a Southland coach compared to an Indiana coach,especially the hours needed every day.We have a solid first real recruiting class but freshman at this level usually do not really come on until their sophomore year at the earliest.

Earlier in this thread i posted about the 2.6 GPA needed for transfer without APR penalty.Roc recruited some talented players that needed some help academically or with responsibility.At Indiana you can recruit players who are talented,responsible and academically strong.At our level when you get a very talented player you sometimes take a risk with academics or responsibility.Roc provided lots of oversight to players with challenges while Pat Knight believed some of the same players should handle that themselves.It was a perfect storm for APR disaster.Price has done a good job cleaning up the mess Pat Knight left in APR land thus we didn't get a two year penalty like Central Ark.In fact our teams APR has been really good under Price.Knight did not understand the different needs of a Southland coach compared to an Indiana coach,especially the hours needed every day.We have a solid first real recruiting class but freshman at this level usually do not really come on until their sophomore year at the earliest.
Good points.