Coach Tic Price

lamarfan360

My bad,CoachDavid Green,who played at Silsbee,and his state champion Beaumont United team.

How many schools has Green taken to the state tournament?

Pretty sure he took:

- Kountze

- Central

- Hightower

- North Shore

- Beaumont United

... all to the Final Four and now has a ring.

He wouldn't be a bad pick. I would weigh other options like (and I'm not kidding about these options):

- Shaka (he probably will be available, if we're willing to wait 2 weeks)

- Alvin Brooks III (his dad played here, he'd probably bring his dad as an assistant, currently on Scott Drew's Baylor staff, and I think he was even born in Bmt)

- Kellen Sampson (Kelvin's kid; probably as hungry as Brooks and just as likely to take a WAC Conference gig to prove himself)+

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have nothing against a successful top high school coach from the stand point of their coaching ability and I like a winner. The problem for a high school coach going to D1 college is can they recruit to the level needed? I think you saw that when Lamar brought back football and hired a couple of good high school coaches for assistants. The problem with college assistants is can they coach? We saw that with Roc.

I have nothing against a successful top high school coach from the stand point of their coaching ability and I like a winner. The problem for a high school coach going to D1 college is can they recruit to the level needed? I think you saw that when Lamar brought back football and hired a couple of good high school coaches for assistants. The problem with college assistants is can they coach? We saw that with Roc.

Given that it would be a big pay raise, Green (or another successful HS coach) might be worth bringing on as an assistant. Given that I'm wanting a "climber" someone like Green might be perfect to move from the big fish in a small bond (HS head coach) to little fish in the big pond (college assistant) to big fish in a big pond (college HC) when the climber moves to a Major College job.

I will agree with that philosophy but generally the assistants are hired by the head. I don't think you want the AD telling a head who to hire for an assistant. Now if the new HC wants to keep the local recruits currently either on the team or committed to sign a LOI then that might be used as a recruiting move. That used to happen sometimes. Don't know if the rules currently allow for it?

This will be the defining move in the Marco Born Athletic Director tenure. Marco needs to get this one right. My opinion of Price is that he is a fine gentleman, but lacks something needed to get Lamar to the next level of success.

Agreed. I have only been slightly on the fence with him because he seems like a great guy whose been first class and apparently has recruited high character kids. But, it is about winning and it just has not happened. Just not doing a very good job at coaching, especially on offensive side of the court.

Given that it would be a big pay raise, Green (or another successful HS coach) might be worth bringing on as an assistant. Given that I'm wanting a "climber" someone like Green might be perfect to move from the big fish in a small bond (HS head coach) to little fish in the big pond (college assistant) to big fish in a big pond (college HC) when the climber moves to a Major College job.

I agree, Green as an assistant but NO WAY head coach. We need a successful head coach from a smaller program.

information only, Willis Wilson at A&M CC announced his retirement yesterday. I put him on a par with Price as coaching ability and recruiting. The main thing his retirement does is open another vacancy to compete for a good coach.

Wilson retiring from A&M-CC is only semantics, he had 1 year left on his contract and it was not going to be renewed. I believe he probably made a deal in exchange for his last year of coaching.

I agree that he was on par with Tic and his time was up at A&M-CC.

Wilson retiring from A&M-CC is only semantics, he had 1 year left on his contract and it was not going to be renewed. I believe he probably made a deal in exchange for his last year of coaching.

I agree that he was on par with Tic and his time was up at A&M-CC.

The report did say he would remain an employee as some kind of assistant to the AD.