Coach Morgan fired - Time to pick a new coach

TexGator

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting mentally prepared to be underwhelmed by who they eventually name as head coach. I think LU just cannot get who they want. Maybe the new AD can work some magic and pull in a winner. But as UIW just learned, if the coach is too good he will be gone in a heartbeat.

"In coaching you either get elevated or terminated."

I'd rather be a stepping stone program than what we've been, save for 2018.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2022/12/07/the-blitz?ref=article_preview_img

Corey Hogue of Dave Campbell's is talking up Jeff Girsch and David Bailiff.

Between the two, I'd lean Girsch because of the comparative youth.

Bailiff wouldn't be a bad idea. I know he's 64 years old but at least you would know he's not using us as a stepping stone to something bigger. Lamar would likely be his last stop. But on the other hand, coaches at that age may not have the energy of a 40-something year-old who's trying to make a name for himself (i.e. G.J. Kinne - UIW) and land an FBS job. Admittedly I don't know much about Jeff Girsch. What about Ron Roberts? He just got fired as Baylor's DC but he was head coach at SE La from 2012-2017.

If mediocrity is the goal then David Bailiff is the guy for LU. Jeff Girsch at Angelo State looks promising. His teams get better each year. They finished 12-1 this year after going 11-3 last year.

I think the consistent success is the bigger accomplishment than purely 12-1 vs. 11-3.

If they went 11-3 and their 2 regular season losses were to an FCS Powerhouse and an FBS school (like if it was even Sam Houston and New Mexico), that's still an accomplishment.

The fact he's coaching into December is what impresses me. A lot of his players are FBS transfers- it's even easier to get those guys to Beaumont than to San Angelo.

Just thought of something. Semester is gonna end before we have a coach. We have a bunch of players in the portal. No coach to talk em into staying. The linebacker that made all conference. A couple of the starting lineman.

new coach better have some strong connections with juco coaches

and im thinking, maybe-new coach is still playing? Doesnt want to announce it? An asst wouldnt care. Whos still playing besides girsch?

Didnt realize girsch lost, so Im calling it

Hatcher from Samford or

Shinnick from West Florida

not wanting to announce before your season is over is the only logical reason we havent hired

Shinnick has an impressive resume. He has built successful teams quickly at two different schools. First at the NAIA level, then at the D2 level. Hopefully he wants to do that at the FCS level.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Shinnick#:~:text=Pete%20Shinnick%20%28born%20May%2015%2C%201965%29%20is%20an,the%20school%27s%20first%20football%20national%20championship%20in%202019.

Shinnick has an impressive resume. He has built successful teams quickly at two different schools. First at the NAIA level, then at the D2 level. Hopefully he wants to do that at the FCS level.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Shinnick#:~:text=Pete%20Shinnick%20%28born%20May%2015%2C%201965%29%20is%20an,the%20school%27s%20first%20football%20national%20championship%20in%202019.

He has loads of transfers

He has loads of transfers

He can still get loads of transfers at Lamar- even get some through the same channels he's getting them now.

Love his resume (success at multiple levels is great and experience on the old "Division I-A" level is nice); his most crucial hire would be to bring in the right recruiting coordinator- someone to make sure there's no field house he can't get into (this need is evolving as more coaches are gaining the mentality of "every guy I get on the next level is a good thing"). His success would definitely open doors that Lamar struggled to get through in recruiting.

Edited by TexGator

They mean out of the playoffs. I do not necessarily believe LU would have made him offer already so he may be a candidate for the job.

Right. I meant that his team is out of the playoffs... not that he was out of consideration. Thank you for clarifying for them.

Why would he leave Samford? They dont pay well?

I can guarantee he's not getting a huge salary at Samford. Look at his record, though. This year is the first time since 2005 that he won more than 8 games. At Samford, he was barely over .500 until this year. Yes, he was big-time at Valdosta State but's basically been a .500 coach since then (other than this year).

Rumor has Kevin Barbay accepting the head coaching position.

This was posted this morning on "The Scoop" which is usually a fairly reliable source of information regarding coaching decisions.

"Lamar (FCS - TX): Pete Rossomando, who served as the offensive line coach before becoming the interim head coach at Charlotte this past season, has been named the new head coach at Lamar."

https://footballscoop.com/thescoop/the-scoop-saturday-december-10-2022