Anthony Oden

coachacola

From Christopher Dabe via Twitter:

Oden is still enrolled at Lamar, Woodard said. The coach declined to say if Oden would be back for spring ball in two weeks.

Lamar OT Anthony Oden suspended "until further notice," coach Ray Woodard said. Declined to give reason. No legal issues, he said.

Guest bigred360
I don't know if this information is positive or negative. For some reason he is suspended. At least he is still enrolled at Lamar

Saying he is enrolled is like saying Whitten is still the OC. Yes, Whitten is still getting paid. Oden may still be on the roll in his class, therefore he is "enrolled."

Guess we will have to wait this out.

Guest CardAmbassador
Saying he is enrolled is like saying Whitten is still the OC. Yes, Whitten is still getting paid. Oden may still be on the roll in his class, therefore he is "enrolled."

Never understood why Woodard plays his cards so close to his vest.

Also, they should just go ahead and let Oden go, LU Football did a favor taking him in, if he is suspended then he hasn't held up his end of the bargain. Let's severe our ties.

Never understood why Woodard plays his cards so close to his vest.

Also, they should just go ahead and let Oden go, LU Football did a favor taking him in, if he is suspended then he hasn't held up his end of the bargain. Let's severe our ties.

While I agree that we did him a favor taking him in, can we all agree that, for the most part, it worked out? We got a season out of him without hearing so much as a whisper of anything going wrong on his part as far as getting into trouble.

EDIT: The only reason I'm saying this is I'm remembering all the naysayers at the beginning of the season. All in all, having Oden in a Cardinal uniform helped us more than hurt us.

We went through 4 quarterbacks, our line was terrible so no, I don't think it worked out. If it it did, he would still be here and not suspended.

It's obvious this guy still has personal issues to deal with, hope he gets them resolved.

He still managed to make 2nd team all-conference, maybe that was on talent alone and nothing else. I was hoping with the new OL coach coming in that Oden could become a dominate force in the conference. But with or without Oden the OL should be better next year. It's just a shame to see him waste his talent.

Guest McneeseKilla
He still managed to make 2nd team all-conference, maybe that was on talent alone and nothing else. I was hoping with the new OL coach coming in that Oden could become a dominate force in the conference. But with or without Oden the OL should be better next year. It's just a shame to see him waste his talent.

2nd team conference is nothin to cheer about in the southland. I agree with west he did not work out he was a bust.

2nd team conference is nothin to cheer about in the southland. I agree with west he did not work out he was a bust.

If that is the case, then you can make the same argument for winning conference. I don't buy that. I respectfully disagree.

If that is the case, then you can make the same argument for winning conference. I don't buy that. I respectfully disagree.

Football is a team game. If your team does not do well, then however impressive your individual accomplishments may be, they do not mean as much. I think most athletes would echo this statement. Like Herm Edwards said "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!" Oden was not a key factor in any of our games this past season. He did not dominate or lock down anyone.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

Football is a team game. If your team does not do well, then however impressive your individual accomplishments may be, they do not mean as much. I think most athletes would echo this statement. Like Herm Edwards said "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!" Oden was not a key factor in any of our games this past season. He did not dominate or lock down anyone.

By all means, go ahead. My only point I hope you take from us signing him is that Lamar can afford to take a chance on those "not so desirable" recruits such as this one. It's how some schools thrive in FCS. He didn't kill anyone on the road with his driving (as some said they knew he would).

When you say "the team does not do well...", keep in mind that this team did not have a "bad" season. We won two conference games we were picked to lose. In this instance, when discussing the overall performance of one player and whether or not he was a positive contribution the team, one must take individual accomplishments into account. If he's leaving, he's leaving. However, the season that we just finished was a full year of college football he can put under his belt. Why ostricize the guy if he's deciding to leave? We don't know the circumstances at all. What if he went home for personal reasons (obviously we can assume they probably were)? He may be suspended because he's been missing all of his classes after he went home (I don't know the parameters on which one can be suspended, but it could be something academic such as that).

Guest McneeseKilla

By all means, go ahead. My only point I hope you take from us signing him is that Lamar can afford to take a chance on those "not so desirable" recruits such as this one. It's how some schools thrive in FCS. He didn't kill anyone on the road with his driving (as some said they knew he would).

When you say "the team does not do well...", keep in mind that this team did not have a "bad" season. We won two conference games we were picked to lose. In this instance, when discussing the overall performance of one player and whether or not he was a positive contribution the team, one must take individual accomplishments into account. If he's leaving, he's leaving. However, the season that we just finished was a full year of college football he can put under his belt. Why ostricize the guy if he's deciding to leave? We don't know the circumstances at all. What if he went home for personal reasons (obviously we can assume they probably were)? He may be suspended because he's been missing all of his classes after he went home (I don't know the parameters on which one can be suspended, but it could be something academic such as that).

You make some good points but when its taking scholarships away from other players we can get who may not necessarily be better, but they have better attitudes and effort he can gladly leave

You make some good points but when its taking scholarships away from other players we can get who may not necessarily be better, but they have better attitudes and effort he can gladly leave

I don't disagree with that at all. I just don't think having him here hurt us while he was here. That's all.

Guest McneeseKilla
By the way, Killa, your name confuses me. I always think it's someone from McNeese that is posting until you say "we" about Lamar. :D

Oh no tbones just a fellow mcneese hater. :sick: I can see how that would be confusing though :lol:

Guest CardAmbassador
I don't think you get suspended for going home for good personal reasons. Suspension is a disciplinary action, his discipline was not acceptable so he was suspended. Remove him from the team and use his scholarship on someone we don't think will be suspended, simple solution.

Guest bigred360

Football is a team game. If your team does not do well, then however impressive your individual accomplishments may be, they do not mean as much. I think most athletes would echo this statement. Like Herm Edwards said "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!" Oden was not a key factor in any of our games this past season. He did not dominate or lock down anyone. I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

Wasn't he named All-Conference?

Guest CardAmbassador

Oden was second team all conference but Asim Hicks didn't even get selected as all-conference so my opinion of that distinction isn't very high.

I'm not saying he wasn't helpful, I just think we need to move on from a guy if he is suspended. I also agree that he wasn't so good that he was a key factor. We had lots of issues on the line last year.

He was 2nd team, but I have no idea how. He was a big guy out there and I think he definitely has some skill. But in 80% of our games last year, his effort was questionable. At times, he looked like he just didn't give a crap.

I don't disagree that it was worth taking a risk Tbones, but I think had he of never came here, we still would have been 4-7 and with the same W/L against those teams.

I think we are trying to make different points. The point I am making is, it doesn't make a difference to me whether he is back or not. If he comes back and gets his act together, then great, hope it works out for him. But from what I know FROM him and of him, we're not going to miss this guy's character or what he brought to the team if he does not return.

He was 2nd team, but I have no idea how. He was a big guy out there and I think he definitely has some skill. But in 80% of our games last year, his effort was questionable. At times, he looked like he just didn't give a crap.

I don't disagree that it was worth taking a risk Tbones, but I think had he of never came here, we still would have been 4-7 and with the same W/L against those teams.

I think we are trying to make different points. The point I am making is, it doesn't make a difference to me whether he is back or not. If he comes back and gets his act together, then great, hope it works out for him. But from what I know FROM him and of him, we're not going to miss this guy's character or what he brought to the team if he does not return.

Well put... +1

Guest McneeseKilla
I don't think you get suspended for going home for good personal reasons. Suspension is a disciplinary action, his discipline was not acceptable so he was suspended. Remove him from the team and use his scholarship on someone we don't think will be suspended, simple solution.

Ditto

Guest papabear
We went through 4 quarterbacks, our line was terrible so no, I don't think it worked out. If it it did, he would still be here and not suspended.

It's obvious this guy still has personal issues to deal with, hope he gets them resolved.

I thought Oden was generally pretty solid overall. I watch line play a lot and thought he was our best lineman...or close to it. QB's can make a line look good, or bad. Its an extreme example, but look how bad the Colts line looked without Peyton. Our QB's did the line no favors in pass protection.

Guest McneeseKilla

I thought Oden was generally pretty solid overall. I watch line play a lot and thought he was our best lineman...or close to it. QB's can make a line look good, or bad. Its an extreme example, but look how bad the Colts line looked without Peyton. Our QB's did the line no favors in pass protection.

Don't know if I woild agree with you on your point about oden but I do agree that the quarterback is a big part of how good the line can be which is why I say our struggles mostly on offense were personnel issues and less coaching. Not saying the coaching was absolutely tremendous though.

• 1 month later...