Gilligan baseball

lamar1

OK not to pile on here but an observation. Regarding Gilligan baseball and Davis baseball.

I started school at Lu in '80. I didn't play but was close to the team back then, even the New Yorkers! (One of them was in my wedding!!)

I believe Gilligan recruited different guys during his tenure.

Generally, it always seemed Gilligan looked for strapping 6'2"-6'4 guys at all positions who'd in turn grow stronger as they matured.

Are the current guys maxed out physically more or less upon arrival? Bunch of corner infielders, outfielders and pitchers under 6'

Makes a difference

One advantage Gilligan still had in the 80s was that most northern schools did not have indoor practice facilities so with his northeast connections he was able to get players that aren't really available today, but you may have something on the type/physical characteristics of the players. It seems like there is still a place for smaller players in the field but most pitchers are bigger.

One advantage Gilligan still had in the 80s was that most northern schools did not have indoor practice facilities so with his northeast connections he was able to get players that aren't really available today, but you may have something on the type/physical characteristics of the players. It seems like there is still a place for smaller players in the field but most pitchers are bigger.

Height doesnt mean a damn thing when it comes to hitting or fielding

• 4 weeks later...
Height doesnt mean a damn thing when it comes to hitting or fielding

WE have nothing but short squatty guys. Few Rangier type guys. Size sure does matter especially pitchers. Tired of all the articles about this & that recruiting class being "ranked." We're in 7th place in the SLC,!!!!!

OK not to pile on here but an observation. Regarding Gilligan baseball and Davis baseball.

I started school at Lu in '80. I didn't play but was close to the team back then, even the New Yorkers! (One of them was in my wedding!!)

I believe Gilligan recruited different guys during his tenure.

Generally, it always seemed Gilligan looked for strapping 6'2"-6'4 guys at all positions who'd in turn grow stronger as they matured.

Are the current guys maxed out physically more or less upon arrival? Bunch of corner infielders, outfielders and pitchers under 6'

Makes a difference

Look at what MLB wants- they draft the 5 guys in the middle over the 4 guys in the corners. I guess it's about them wanting people with the skills and abilities to field the 110 MPH balls off the bat.

Not saying I agree with it, but they want guys who can throw it 100 MPH and guys who can field it even faster.

Maybe I'm too old school, but I love a guy who can walk up there and scare the snot out of the fielders where they take an extra 2 steps back.