Whoa... UTSA to Conference USA!?!

Bruce

The WAC is in deep trouble. UTSA is leaving for CUSA before ever playing a game, leaving the WAC with only four football schools.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7866383/utsa-roadrunners-poised-exit-wac-conference-usa

Not sure what's going to happen with Texas State (and, for that matter, UTA) at this point. There could be a serious game of musical chairs about to start, especially for those who thought they were going to make the move to FBS...

Guest CardAmbassador
The WAC is in deep trouble. UTSA is leaving for CUSA before ever playing a game, leaving the WAC with only four football schools.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7866383/utsa-roadrunners-poised-exit-wac-conference-usa

Not sure what's going to happen with Texas State (and, for that matter, UTA) at this point. There could be a serious game of musical chairs about to start, especially for those who thought they were going to make the move to FBS...

Isn't SJSU leaving too?

If all this happens then SJSU, Idaho, NMSU and Texas State don't have a home for football. From what I've read Texas State will get invited to the Sun Belt. Not sure what will happen to the others. I think New Mexico State should get a Mountain West invite but I doubt that will happen.

If Texas State joins the Sun Belt, they will be about 7 hours from their nearest conference mate. With Georgia Southern and Appy State looking to join too, will the Sun Belt leave Texas State stranded out west and only invite eastern schools. I think it's a long shot, but Lamar and/or UTA could get invited to fill in the gap between Texas State and the other schools. That would also put the Sun Belt in (or very close) to the big markets of Texas.

KLVI can be heard in most parts of Houston, I can even pick it up sometimes here in the Austin area. When Sun Belt schools play Lamar in football and basketball, that puts their games on air in the Houston market. With the addition of Georgia State, plus UTA and Lamar, the Sun Belt now has a presence in 3 of the top 10 media markets.

But this is all pure speculation, and since no one at Lamar has even talked about moving up to the FBS level, all this movement may not even matter. I don't like Lamar's odds of joining the Sun Belt any time soon.