Game times posted

coachacola

I'm going to say good. We need the first two at night with the heat and all, but football should be played during the day. It'll get the tailgaters out earlyer and they'll be able to stay after the game. I really like the 3:00 starts.

Guest CardAmbassador

I liked the 6PM games. Is there a reason they changed most of them to 3PM? Are we having any TV time? I guess this means no fireworks at half time.

This is exactly what I was thinking, 6 p.m. the first season was fine, if you're really having problems with heat at 6 p.m. Texas is not the place for you.

They need to allow the tailgaters to camp out over night, that's one of my biggest concerns with how the tailgating has turned out.

I'm going to say good. We need the first two at night with the heat and all, but football should be played during the day. It'll get the tailgaters out earlyer and they'll be able to stay after the game. I really like the 3:00 starts.

Is 90 minutes after the game enough. Unless the tailgating policy is modified, that's post game limit. 6 hours before and 90 minutes after.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/tickets/footbl-tailgating-policies.html

I preferred the 6:00 pm kickoff. The afternoon game we had last year was not too bad, though ... just a personal preference of night games over day.

Pros:

1. For out of towners who are not staying over in Beaumont, the 3:00 pm start might be a good thing. Personally, I liked the 6:00 pm starts even if we did get home after midnight.

2. Families with small children might find the 3:00 pm start works out better for them. We had a lot of families with seats around us that left the game after halftime last season. We had some leaving after the first quarter.

3. Can get our score up on the sports networks crawler earlier and make it easier for newspapers to get the article about the game in the next days edition. This might be a good or bad thing depending on the outcome.

4. Less conflict with high school games???? Don't know about this one.

5. Might help out the local restaurants??? Post game dinner.

6. More drink sales because of the afternoon heat. :)

Cons:

1. Game experience is better with a night game. (personal preference)

2. Based on A&M game experience, it's still hot with a 3:00 pm kickoff into mid to late October; particularly on the Student side of the stadium.

3. As mentioned above, probably no fireworks.

4. A lot better to start tailgate at 12:00 pm than 9:00 am (based on 6 hour before policy). Guess we can have a tailgate breakfast. :)

aw that is crap!!!!! afternoon games at LU are the kiss of death....wannabe's are still watching 5 games on the tube--------LU afternoon games were never worth a damn....who's the idiot that decided this? we will avg less than 10k (actual attendance)--fricking morons.....

aw that is crap!!!!! afternoon games at LU are the kiss of death....wannabe's are still watching 5 games on the tube--------LU afternoon games were never worth a damn....who's the idiot that decided this? we will avg less than 10k (actual attendance)--fricking morons.....

I have to agree. Didn't attendance suck for the afternoon basketball games last season?

I enjoyed the late start times because I am usually out late along with many other students the Friday before games. Is just makes tailgating harder when you are running on around 4 hours of sleep.

Have to agree. This is going to kill student attendance. A lot of non-student tailgaters won't want to set up and tear down their spots by 3 either. The only early game should be homecoming, since the early start time attracts out of town alumni. Look at McNeese. All night games at home, and always a large (and loud) crowd.

SH has always had late games in September and early games the rest of the season and nothing kills a tailgate or atmosphere faster than this kind of decision. Its night and day different(no pun intended). The "we might get picked up by the southland network" is a dumb excuse too because correct me if Im wrong but the have that TV schedule out before the season starts and the only 'Wildcard game" is the final weekend.

SH has always had late games in September and early games the rest of the season and nothing kills a tailgate or atmosphere faster than this kind of decision. Its night and day different(no pun intended). The "we might get picked up by the southland network" is a dumb excuse too because correct me if Im wrong but the have that TV schedule out before the season starts and the only 'Wildcard game" is the final weekend.

Lamar has complete control of their attendance.......its simple, win and they will come no matter the starting times. If Lamar was to ever have a season like you guys enjoyed last season the attendance would be through the roof.

Good luck to the kats this season.

Checking the composite schedule, there are conflicts on a couple of games in October with Volleyball. Don't know how many took advantage of both sports on the same day last year.

10/13 - Volleyball vs Sam Houston @ 1:00 pm Football vs McMurray @ 3:00 pm (Homecoming)

10/27 - Volleyball vs McNeese @ 1:00 pm Football vs Sam Houston @ 3:00 pm

There is one Saturday where attending both sports is possible.

9/22 - Volleyball vs SFA @ 1:00 pm Football vs Langston @ 7:00 pm

No Soccer conflicts with either of the other sports. Soccer matches are either on Friday @ 7:00 pm or Sunday @ 1:00 pm.

There are several weeks with Soccer-Friday / Football-Saturday or Football-Saturday / Soccer-Sunday combinations for those who like a multiple sport weekend.

Assuming the homecoming game would be an afternoon game either way, that's 3 games that could be played at night. For fun let's say the LU-SHSU is game is on SLC-TV, that's 2 games that could be played at night. Looking at this year's schedule, that would be the Sept 29th game against SLU is at 3 pm and the Nov 10th game against Nicholls State. The SLU game is the first conference game so it should have good attendance. I'm guessing if the team is playing well there will be a good crowd for the Nicholls game, otherwise that's going to be a small crowd (and the start time probably won't matter anyway).

Did the cool weather affect attendance last year at some games? Maybe another reason for these 3 pm games is so people don't stay home because of cold weather. I know, lousy excuse but I remember people talking about it.

been there done that....LU-Nichols..afternoon, 15 games on the tube, deer season,fishing,golfing.....

if it is a "meaningless" game--5k attendance (actual,not paid)

if were are leading conference-10k

I'm old, folks, I've seen it...people WILL NOT show up for day games at Lamar

If they are not winning the fans will not show up. Just look at basketball, a few years ago we were co conference champs and the fans were coming out and next year we start losing and they stop coming. I'm not saying everybody because there are true fans out there but most people in this area only come out if the team is winning. Even if you played a good team and were losing they would not come out to the game. The attendance figures last year were not right. Did not sell out one game last year, and the year before that we sold 4 out of 6 games mainly due to ore sale and it being the first year.

With the games being at 3pm I think it is better because students are not coming out on a Saturday night to watch Lamar football anyway so maybe afternoon will be better. Also the November games get cold and less fans came out when that happened.

Guest CardAmbassador

i dunno, i was at the UCA game last year which was a 3pm game. We arrived midway thru the 1st qtr and that place was packed both sides. Not to mention LU was on top 16-0.

That was the homecoming effect, homecoming should have good attendance regardless of start time.

I don't like the 3 p.m. start time something a little later like 5 or 6 would be nice. The start time does affect attendance, but the biggest effect on attendance is team performance like most people here have already said. I hope people give this team a chance, I think we might be better than the last two years.

Basketball's rescheduling last year was disappointing though, I blame alot of those poor crowds on the early start time. Basketball is just better at night.