Southland Conference Admission Standards

kingkat99

Since there has been some back and forth about if Sam Houston has tougher admission standards than Lamar I thought I would post this info. Looks like Lamar is the easiest Southland school in the state of Texas to get in to... :o

Southland Conference Admission Criteria

University Top 10% 11-25% 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter

Central Arkansas GPA of 2.5 + ACT 19

Lamar No Minimum 850 930 1000 1000

McNeese High School GPA of 2.35 + ACT 20

Nicholls High School GPA of 2.35 + ACT 21

Northwestern St. High School GPA of 2.35 + ACT 20

Oral Roberts Top 40% Automatic Admit SAT 940+

Sam Houston No Minimum 850 930 1030 1140

Southeastern La. High School GPA 2.0 +or ACT 21

Stephen F. Austin No Minimum 850 950 1100 Evaluated

Texas A&M CC No Minimum 900 1000 1100 1200

Since there has been some back and forth about if Sam Houston has tougher admission standards than Lamar I thought I would post this info. Looks like Lamar is the easiest Southland school in the state of Texas to get in to... alt=:ohttp://bigredinsider.com/smf/Smileys/aaron/shocked.gif[/img]

Only for those students in the bottom half of their class, otherwise LU, SFA and SHSU are virtually identical.

Since there has been some back and forth about if Sam Houston has tougher admission standards than Lamar I thought I would post this info. Looks like Lamar is the easiest Southland school in the state of Texas to get in to... alt=:ohttp://bigredinsider.com/smf/Smileys/aaron/shocked.gif[/img]

Only for those students in the bottom half of their class, otherwise LU, SFA and SHSU are virtually identical.

But in terms of the bottom half.... still easier to get into Lamar. If you're in the top 1/2, it's usually not a problem going to college.

Who would have thought that TAMU-CC was so stringent?

Guest BigRed2010
Give it up Wooten, there's not dime's difference between all the conference members. TAMU-CC, Lamar,SHSU, SFA, etc. Academically, we are all the same! Come'on man! Please, let's talk sports, not this bs.

Give it up Wooten, there's not dime's difference between all the conference members. TAMU-CC, Lamar,SHSU, SFA, etc. Academically, we are all the same! Come'on man! Please, let's talk sports, not this bs.

TAMU-CC is significantly different at every level compared to SFA/SHSU/Lamar

If you don't like that this thread isn't talking about sports, then move on to a different thread.

Guest CardAmbassador
There seems to be little difference between the top 50% number to me, even for AMCC. That's the people who go to college anyway. Alot less people in the bottom 50% of their class even attempt college.

I was surprised too about TAMU-CC.

Is that an A&M related thing? I'm not really familiar with how things in other systems work.

Guest CardAmbassador

I was surprised too about TAMU-CC.

Is that an A&M related thing? I'm not really familiar with how things in other systems work.

It's not a branch campus for TAMU College Station so no.

I think the slightly higher admission standards have to do with TAMUCC being the only large College in South Texas. I can't think of anyone else open for business that far south.

If I am reading this article correctly, Sam Houston revised its admission standards to automatically accept the top 25% (previously top 10% was automatically accepted). At they same time, they increased their admissions standards for those below the top 25%. I can see where automatic admission of the top 25% might reduce overhead costs since there would be less to make decisions on. It might be beneficial particularly if Sam had a historically high acceptance rate of the top 25%.

Lamar is still at top 10% as its automatic admission threshold.

I don't see anything wrong with either SHSU's or Lamar's strategy. According to a Houstonian article, SHSU's admission standards were changed in May during the TSUS regents quarterly meeting so the current standards have only been in effect for a couple of months.

It would be an interesting "post-mortem" analysis of the change.

http://timesoftexas.com/2012/06/13/entry-standards-raised-to-improve-shsu-retention-graduation-rates/

http://www.houstonianonline.com/news/entry-standards-raised-to-improve-shsu-retention-graduation-rates-1.2743883#.UA23bqBWT-F