My thoughts on todays practice.

Mike t

Overall I think it went well. Saw some good things on both sides of the ball. Our LB's cover well, and have a good pash rushing game. We have some good WR, they just need to run hard from the snap of the ball. I strongly think we have 3 of the best RB in the southland conference. I think that our O-Line is awful. They are soft, they are to scared to get beat that they just miss there blocks. I would rather have a rough OL that messes up on technique sometimes but will come off and hit people in the mouth.

Overall I think it went well. Saw some good things on both sides of the ball. Our LB's cover well, and have a good pash rushing game. We have some good WR, they just need to run hard from the snap of the ball. I strongly think we have 3 of the best RB in the southland conference. I think that our O-Line is awful. They are soft, they are to scared to get beat that they just miss there blocks. I would rather have a rough OL that messes up on technique sometimes but will come off and hit people in the mouth.

I just can't take this post seriously when you write things like that.

Have you been to see a single practice this year? If not then you can't talk. We have Hershal Sims(ranked #3 in his class) Garrett who makes good cuts and has good vision. We also have a freshmen Harris who will break peoples ankles. As I said before, If you have not watched us this season you can't say much.

Guest CardAmbassador

Mike t, while I agree that Wooten should not be making snarky comments when he is not the target audience for your post, I do have to question your initial comment.

How can we have 3 of the best (obviously not saying the three best, there is a difference) RB's in the SLC if we have a terrible OL as you have said?

That's an oxymoron to me. RB's are not much without a decent line to run behind. I'm not attacking you, I just want to know more of why you think that our RB's are going to be that good if you're that worried about our O-line.

Thanks for the observations!

Guest LU4LIFE

I also thought that defense played well today they covered well, didn't see any break downs and they where flying around the field. The O-Line for sure has a lot of room for improvement, but it is the first week of practice and they have 3 more weeks to improve.

The best way to put it with our RB's is we have 3 of them with the potential to be really good if the O-Line can open some running lanes for them.

Have you been to see a single practice this year? If not then you can't talk. We have Hershal Sims(ranked #3 in his class) Garrett who makes good cuts and has good vision. We also have a freshmen Harris who will break peoples ankles. As I said before, If you have not watched us this season you can't say much.

The benefit of a message board is that I can talk as much as I want.

Like CA said, it's hard to say they can be the 3 best if the Oline doesn't block. The real question is going to be if Woodard opens the doors to the run game, and doesn't keep with the puddin' tane style of offense.

Guest Hookem14

Having a soft O Line is scary. You can have the top 5 RB's in the SLC and it still doesnt matter if your soft up front. Its still early so lets hope we can turn it around.

Cplatt

Very well said.

It's going to take some time for the offense to come around, that's pretty obvious. The defense took a big step backwards last year but all signs seem to point to them being a lot better this year. I still believe if the defense and special teams are a lot better than last year then team will be ok until the offense starts clicking.

Guest eagle eye
Usually the O-line is the one unit on a team that has to be in sync to play well. You hear all the time that building continuity is the key to a good line. As said earlier they have 3 more weeks to work on that continuity. Also, practices make you more comfortable with the jobs at hand, it builds confidence and that tentativeness can be replaced with that agressiveness we all want to see. The line is important to a team's success but sometimes a RB can help out the line. Some runners only need a crease, just a little daylight, to make something positive happen. Give the big guys up front a little time to work it out. Trust Coach Woodard and the staff and I bet you'll see a better front in three weeks.

Greetings Cardinal Nation... About the only thing that makes Mondays worthwhile is talking football... So, while I wasn't at Saturday's practice, I was at Thursday's and just a couple quick points - as the original poster mentioned, while I'm not prepared to say Lamar has three of the best RB in the Southland, I will say they have ONE of the best for sure in Herschel Sims. He is every bit a D-1 talent and it shows in practice. His size, speed and quickness are unlike anything that's been at Lamar in the three years since Wood took over. Simple as that. If he and the line stay relatively healthy, the kid puts up 1500 yards. Bank on it. As for the frosh, Harris, he's a MUCH better Mike Venson at this stage, because he's bigger, faster and can hit the holes quicker than Venson. But he's a third down and change-of-pace back at this point, and there's nothing wrong with that from your frosh. And DPG is a grinder who's going to break runs just by outwilling defenders because he refuses to go down. It's clear Wood and Co. learned their lesson from last year with the lack of RB depth, so barring injuries, and that's a big Barring, the running game will much better than last season's.

I disagree with the O-Line assertion. Soft? Absolutely not, and that's really a slap in the face and insulting. Are they the most physically imposing looking group in the world..? No. They don't have the monsters on the left side, missing Campbell and Oden, but they've got some size, depth and with as many newcomers on that line, it's going to take some to gel. They looked fine when I watched them Thursday night and will continue to improve as the season progresses.

Just a few other notes before I go back to 'work' - Mossakowski is the starting quarterback for this football team and it's not even close. Berry is solid, but he's no Mossakowski, who's poised, has a strong arm and is accurate. Keep him upright, good things will happen. Expect to see a lot more production out of the TE position, WRs are a work in progress still. Defensively, Longino, the JUCO kid, while tiny in stature, is a force on defense, think a smaller Asim Hicks. D-Line appears average, and nobody on the secondary jumped out to me as being a huge playmaker. But that's the beauty of practice - it's still early and there' a lot of football left before things get real on Sep. 1.

Greetings Cardinal Nation... About the only thing that makes Mondays worthwhile is talking football... So, while I wasn't at Saturday's practice, I was at Thursday's and just a couple quick points - as the original poster mentioned, while I'm not prepared to say Lamar has three of the best RB in the Southland, I will say they have ONE of the best for sure in Herschel Sims. He is every bit a D-1 talent and it shows in practice. His size, speed and quickness are unlike anything that's been at Lamar in the three years since Wood took over. Simple as that. If he and the line stay relatively healthy, the kid puts up 1500 yards. Bank on it. As for the frosh, Harris, he's a MUCH better Mike Venson at this stage, because he's bigger, faster and can hit the holes quicker than Venson. But he's a third down and change-of-pace back at this point, and there's nothing wrong with that from your frosh. And DPG is a grinder who's going to break runs just by outwilling defenders because he refuses to go down. It's clear Wood and Co. learned their lesson from last year with the lack of RB depth, so barring injuries, and that's a big Barring, the running game will much better than last season's.

I disagree with the O-Line assertion. Soft? Absolutely not, and that's really a slap in the face and insulting. Are they the most physically imposing looking group in the world..? No. They don't have the monsters on the left side, missing Campbell and Oden, but they've got some size, depth and with as many newcomers on that line, it's going to take some to gel. They looked fine when I watched them Thursday night and will continue to improve as the season progresses.

Just a few other notes before I go back to 'work' - Mossakowski is the starting quarterback for this football team and it's not even close. Berry is solid, but he's no Mossakowski, who's poised, has a strong arm and is accurate. Keep him upright, good things will happen. Expect to see a lot more production out of the TE position, WRs are a work in progress still. Defensively, Longino, the JUCO kid, while tiny in stature, is a force on defense, think a smaller Asim Hicks. D-Line appears average, and nobody on the secondary jumped out to me as being a huge playmaker. But that's the beauty of practice - it's still early and there' a lot of football left before things get real on Sep. 1.

please post more often davis.

Well played, Fred. Thanks for the info.