8/15 Practice Notes

Mike

- This was what I considered the best practice I attended thus far. Plays were made on offense and defense, neither unit dominated each other during the simulation portion of practice with both making their fair share of plays.

- Attention to detail. This coaching staff brings that aspect to each and every portion of practice. I saw the staff jump all over guys on positive plays because they did something slightly wrong, they want it perfect every play. This is going to pay off during the season, especially on special teams.

- Ryan Mossakowski had a very good night last night. His passes were tight, he put some good zip on the ball, he makes quick decisions and didn't turn the ball over. He looked like the starting QB last night.

- A couple guys were missing last night and when I asked I was told finals and one was slightly injured. Nothing too major.

- Speaking of injuries, Adren Dorsey again set out of practice with his arm in a sling. We keep hearing it's not major and he would play if it was a game. Let's hope this isn't something that lingers. I was also told that Alex Ball injured his quad and was resting his leg. I didn't ask MRI results from Beard or Kelso but I'm assuming they are both done for awhile.

- The often talked about offensive line had a good night last night. The defense stuffed the offense their fair share of times but the offense did have a some big plays. Herschel Sims busted through some holes created by the o-line for a couple big gains and they gave Mossakowski time to throw the ball on passing plays.

- They had a couple freshmen (Handy and Harris) practicing returning punts last night and they both did fine. It goes to show the confidence the staff has in some of the freshmen on this team. They will have multiple freshmen from this class that contribute this season.

- It's been stated numerous times on here but I love the enthusiasm of this group of guys. There is always an air of positive energy at practice that I cant say I remember last year.

Guest CardAmbassador

Good write up. We recruited well this year, but in the end I think it's going to be the coaching that makes the biggest impact this year.

I went to one practice last year, that was all. But I had been to several the year before, what I remember was lack of organization and concentration from players. I've heard multiple times that we're a more focused and enthusiastic team and that is what I think will make the difference.

Kelso has a slightly torn ACL. It's not bad because it's not all the way off the bone. He needs surgery at some point, but I believe he is waiting till after the season. He dressed out lastnight and did some 1on1 work vs the DL.

Beard has a torn ACL, the same one he has torn three times before. He is out for the season.

Dorsey just has a stinnger. He could be back whenever he feels like he is 100% which could be anywhere from 1 day to 30.

Guest NorthoftheBorder

Beard has a torn ACL, the same one he has torn three times before. He is out for the season.

I am not quibbling with you but I think he has only torn it now 3 times and had 2 prior surgeries. That said, how many times can you get it repaired and continue to play. I really hate to see this as I am concerned that he may have to consider hanging it up. Know doubt he has the talent to be an All SLC guy for LU.

I am not quibbling with you but I think he has only torn it now 3 times and had 2 prior surgeries.

I think you're right actually. Thanks for the info!