DABE: Oklahoma State transfers have big night

coachacola

Running back Herschel Sims ran 23 yards on his first carry. Kevin Johnson scored touchdowns three of the first four times he touched the ball.

For as much as Lamar coach Ray Woodard considers those newcomers equal to any other player in the football program, they're different. There's no denying that. They proved it with what they did to help Lamar beat Prairie View A&M 31-0 Saturday at Provost Umphrey Stadium.

There's more to the team than those Oklahoma State transfers, who accounted for all four Lamar touchdowns. But whatever success the Cardinals experience this season will come in large part because of how they contribute.

Link: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/article/DABE-Oklahoma-State-transfers-have-big-night-3850680.php?cmpid=twitter

Guest CardAmbassador

Disagree somewhat, still haven't seen Sims show me he is that much better than Garrett. Garrett was having some great runs, Sims needs more room to work with than Garrett I believe.

This article takes away from the team effort tonight. 3 transfers didn't win this game, I don't care if they scored the points, that was a team win out there tonight. Ford had a great game as did Allen, both have been at Lamar from their freshman year and they were every bit as important in this win.

Disagree somewhat, still haven't seen Sims show me he is that much better than Garrett. Garrett was having some great runs, Sims needs more room to work with than Garrett I believe.

This article takes away from the team effort tonight. 3 transfers didn't win this game, I don't care if they scored the points, that was a team win out there tonight. Ford had a great game as did Allen, both have been at Lamar from their freshman year and they were every bit as important in this win.

I like the one-two punch with Sims and Garrett. Both good RBs but disagree that Garrett and Sims are at the same level. We are very fortunate to have Sims as a running back. He can do pretty much everything Garrett can do, plus he can score on any play from anywhere on the field. He has a gear Garrett doesn't have. Again, I like to see them both getting work as it's good for the team. They will make each other better.

Guest CardAmbassador

I like the one-two punch with Sims and Garrett. Both good RBs but disagree that Garrett and Sims are at the same level. We are very fortunate to have Sims as a running back. He can do pretty much everything Garrett can do, plus he can score on any play from anywhere on the field. He has a gear Garrett doesn't have. Again, I like to see them both getting work as it's good for the team. They will make each other better.

But he hasn't done that yet. It was a team win.

I'm gonna disagree with you on this. While Garrett did have some nice runs, Simms was way better at taking hits and bouncing off of them for extra yards. When Garrett got hit he usually went down.

Official Attendance was 15,367. Seemed like more to me with all the people between the East and West stands on the scoreboard side, but there were some empty seats in the stadium; not many though.

Regardless of the official attendance, it was a great crowd and a great night for football. Weather was great. Atmosphere was great. The Cards won!!!

We got to the stadium too late to tailgate, but our parking lot at the corner of MLK and Virginia had a lot of tailgaters when we arrived. There were very few there last year. Walking by the main tailgate sites was a good experience. Looked like a lot of people having a great time.

Back to the thread topic, I agree that the OSU transfers had a big night. It was fun watching them and I'm glad they are on our side, but there were a lot of other Cardinals that had a big night also. I'm hoping the people who came to the game to check the team out liked what they saw. I also hope that our team feeds off of the experience.

Guest CardinalClaw
I know it would cut into the money LAMAR makes but IMO it would help fill PUS game after game if they had some kind of family deal on tickets. I'm sure there is a lot of people that would go to the games but just can't spend $60 dollars or more on tickets and then what ever they spend on food and drinks. I know it is not hard to spend that much money on a family outing but I know there are people out there that feel this way. There has been plenty of time were some of my family are tailgating but just don't want to spend that kind of money to go into the game. I know this is off topic but it was just a thought.