Nothing Ventured, nothing gained, right.. NO!

Guest Crawfish

Guest Crawfish

I have not been a fan of taking transfer players who have a problematic background. (this is not including marginal FBS players who are just tired of riding the pine, these guys can help an FCS program)

Many of you have expressed the view that it cannot hurt to try and rehab these "star."

I just wanted to point out one potential problem with this view that involves APR.

When a players transfers to another University and he is passing, it does not count against APR (One reason that FBS schools are glad to unload these guys) When A player drops out in the middle of a semester or flunks out, it has a negative impact on APR, which can cost scholarships in the long run and even preclude the possibility of post season play.

My concern is that we may be putting the future of the program at risk with all of these drop outs. BTW, to the person that suggested that if a player should quit mid-semester the should pull their scholarship; this would be self defeating and the worst possible scenario as far as APR.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with APR, I would suggest you research this at the NCAA site. A good cased to review is ULM's Basketball program. Their former coach recruited a bunch of drop out types that quit while flunking. The result was Monroe lost like 3-4 scholarships fro 2 or 3 years and were ineligible for post season play.

All I am saying is that all that glitters may not be gold... Sims is a good case in point.

Sorry for the long post, but I did not know how many people on here are familiar with APR.

I can only think of 2 risky FBS transfers (Oden and Sims) that Lamar took that have since been suspended and/or quit. Dorsey has been here all 3 years and he's doing good. Oden had those drunk driving charges and we all know about Sims. Other FBS players have left the program (like Jeremy Johnson), but have there been any other players Lamar took that had been kicked off their previous team?

Guest Crawfish

Maybe you are right, it just seems like we hear about those guys more than the players who come in as freshmen and work hard. I guess I am not a fan of taking tranfers in general, including JC. Maybe this coach will prove me wrong, so far he has not.

I wish we would have built a program from scratch. If recruiting had been good from the beginning, then we would be enjoying the fruits of that recruiting. It seems to me that this patchwork approach to building a team has not worked very well.

I have doubts that this staff can build a solid program, but that is just me.

I have not been a fan of taking transfer players who have a problematic background. (this is not including marginal FBS players who are just tired of riding the pine, these guys can help an FCS program)

Many of you have expressed the view that it cannot hurt to try and rehab these "star."

I just wanted to point out one potential problem with this view that involves APR.

When a players transfers to another University and he is passing, it does not count against APR (One reason that FBS schools are glad to unload these guys) When A player drops out in the middle of a semester or flunks out, it has a negative impact on APR, which can cost scholarships in the long run and even preclude the possibility of post season play.

My concern is that we may be putting the future of the program at risk with all of these drop outs. BTW, to the person that suggested that if a player should quit mid-semester the should pull their scholarship; this would be self defeating and the worst possible scenario as far as APR.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with APR, I would suggest you research this at the NCAA site. A good cased to review is ULM's Basketball program. Their former coach recruited a bunch of drop out types that quit while flunking. The result was Monroe lost like 3-4 scholarships fro 2 or 3 years and were ineligible for post season play.

All I am saying is that all that glitters may not be gold... Sims is a good case in point.

Sorry for the long post, but I did not know how many people on here are familiar with APR.

If you are referring to my post on the Blake Chavis thread, I was only asking if a player's scholorship is still honored by the university...seeing as they are given free tution in return for playing for football team that they are no longer a part of...kinda like a breach of contract

Completely agree with the fact that our athletic department needs to be aware and cautious for our APR standing though

Guest Crawfish

Yes, I was referring to that post, but no offense was intended. I was just not sure if everyone understands the ramifications of a player quiting or tranferring while they are failing or do not finish a semester.

Personally, I agree that if a player does not hold up to his end of the agreement, it should void the deal. Unfortunately, in that scenario you end hurting the program more than the player.

Just to clarify the APR remarks:

You guys are correct, kids drop out and move on then yes APR wise it does hurt you. However, if that kid moves on to another "certified" NCAA school and graduates the consequences are not as bad as an immediate "dropout" versus he transfers to another school.

Take for instance, Roc. He had a few kids during his tenure that either didn't make it or he kicked off (doesn't matter) - with that said, one thing he used to always say was "I've got to find this kid a place to play", whether that's a DII school or push him off as a 4-2-4 kid, he realized that you had to had that kid graduate.

So in theory, if you have kids just drop out and move on and never play again, that definitely hurts more than finding him a place to play & he graduates.

I agree with someone's comments about recruiting quality kids. I used to recruit, and regardless the sport, you have to know where that kid stands & how much baggage is coming with him. When Tubbs was here, people don't even know the first thing about the baggage that came with some of the kids during his tenure. Coincidentally, those were the first few years that APR began measuring and thus, it hit Roc after Billy had moved on.

But on the other hand (not to quote Randy Travis), coaching has its risks, and sometimes you have to take a risk to "make a move"....like the slogan Sam Phillips brother told him when trying to sign Jerry Lee Lewis, "you have to spend money to make money..." And in this situation, you have to take a risk to "gain" a risk...

Just a few thoughts to supplement you guys...

lv