Thoughts about Coach Woodard

QB 22

Guest Hookem14

WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME HOOKEM14,HORNS MACK BROWN?

Are you kidding me? Did you just bring up Mack Brown? Look, I’m not a Mack Brown guy, and I truly believe it is past time for him to go at Texas, but Mack Brown has a national championship and countless ten win seasons. He has been to the absolute top of the college football world….Ray has done absolutely NOTHING!!! I’ll repeat, NOTHING, and no one can tell me based on what they have seen from him at his time at Lamar can think that he will. Maybe a good guy, a good husband, a good father, a good golfer, But a Good Coach???? I’ll ask again, what have you seen that makes you think he is a good coach? You even bringing that up Mack Brown in regards to my post tells me everything I need to know. By the way, if you’d like, I can get my five year old to explain it to you if you don’t get this!

Guest bossman73
Five year old really,mack brown has the top recruits in the country.Vince Young is what won a national championship,just like cam did at Auburn.Maybe GREAT was a little too much ,but he is a good coach for what he has. sorry hooken14 you are right. p.s. five year old really!

I actually agree with Hookem for the most part. Mack Brown won a national championship Woodard has yet to go .500. You cannot really compare the two. I don't care if it was Vince Young, Mack brown recruited him which is one half of coaching. And yes I understand it is easier to recruit from UT, but you cannot compare Ray to Mack Brown. Hookem, you did sound like an idiot with the "5 yr old" comment. Just sayin.

I agree with bossman that Lamar needs a good offensive line to win. Woodard has been stitching one together every year. Another good JUCO lineman would really compliment the ones returning.

I've compared Mack Brown and Woodard in the past in one regard, neither one is a great coach but they know how to recruit good players. Of course Mack Brown recruits 5 stars while Woodard recruits the lower level talent, but he's brought in some good talent. I still think that's a valid comparison because (as Bob West pointed out in his last column), Mack Brown's last few recruiting classes have been near the top but they're having a hard time winning. He's lost some good assistants and that's beginning to show. Also, both Lamar and UT have had a lot of good players leave.

Woodard has been shuffling assistants the last few years but now he finally has a full staff, that's why he got that extension. I'm not expecting miracles with Woodard as head coach, but I do expect them to win more with the staff he's put together. We'll see what kind of recruiting class Woodard brings in after another 4 win season.