Thoughts about Coach Woodard

QB 22

I believe Ray is a good man, salesman, and has the back of some Silsbee money! All of this does not make him d1 coaching material. I really believe most of the team likes him, as I know the other slc coaches do, but he does not have the thing that makes a head coach. He probably would make a great asst coach. We cannot win with lineman from lumberton, silsbee, hj, etc. Most of these guys are 6 2 and weigh 230-245 lbs. They have height and no size. Wish he had the thing but my instinct tells me no. Now this is just my true opinion and I am sure most will disagree but I will stick with my thoughts and after next year I am proven wrong I will apologize and give him his dues!! If you disagree with my thoughts I respect that and will not call you an elementary name because you do not see or believe things as I do!!

Well I will refer to him as ray since it is your site. As far as opinions I thought that was what this was for. I for one do not like some of the things you say but cannot delete them. If you want delete this but trust me I think there are more with me than against me!!

Well I will refer to him as ray since it is your site. As far as opinions I thought that was what this was for. I for one do not like some of the things you say but cannot delete them. If you want delete this but trust me I think there are more with me than against me!!

I didn't delete your post and I've never deleted someones opinion. Just take your own advice from your post above:

" I respect that and will not call you an elementary name because you do not see or believe things as I do!!"

The ray ray crap is elementary and just plain stupid IMO.

Ray does a pretty good job. He has had some ups and downs with the coaching staff. Things will get better as players settle it. Sure it takes a couple of years, some it may only take a year to win ball games. The one thing that most people forget about is that this is Lamar we are talking about...in Beaumont, Texas. We don't have the luxury of playing in the Alamo Dome like UTSA, having the big city of SA to recruit to. We don't have the the big city of Mobile, Alabama to recruit to like South Alabama does, etc. You get my point???

If Lamar basketball has a rough year this year are you going to be calling for Knight's head??? I didn't think so.

I am all for Ray, he is a great guy and has done a ton of fundraising for "OUR" university. Give him a chance with a staff that is in place. He will make some adjustments on recruiting, and LU will start to win more games. If LU does jump conferences then LU will start to get more players. Seeing KJ get Newcomer of the Year will help to get some of his friends and others to Lamar. Get off his back!!!!

GO Lamar!!!! 8) 8)

There's no guarantee that Lamar would replace Woodard with a better coach. ODU is winning with a coach that didn't have much D1 experience while USA struggling to win with the same type of hire. Both started a year ahead of Lamar. Georgia State only won 1 game this year while UTSA is playing real well (in year 2), Both are located in large metro areas, play in domes, and hired experienced FBS coaches.

I think the critics here fail to realize how important the $$$ part of the equation is and what Woodard has done on that side. Lazeek brings up a lot of great points that cannot be discarded lightly. Seems as though some here have a personal vendetta against Woodard. Next year will be year #4 and he'll have an experienced team on the field with the same coaching staff. I think it's safe to say that if he doesn't win at least half the games next year then he'll be in serious trouble.

No vendetta just would like to see a better product. Beaumont is what it is. Most schools our size do not have facilities like ours, our payroll for coaches, etc. Hey if you are happy that is fine with me. i hope he gets it together but i just do not see it!

OK, who do you blame for hiring an offensive idiot? Ole school guy who can't score in a spring game. Ran the ball 45 times in a game they were behind in since the first quarter. Only team that runs 7 yard routes on 3rd and 10. Say goodbye to the spread kids, they won't stay at a school thay runs the ball 45 times a game.

can I say i think Ray stinks..or will that get deleted

i dont believe kueck is behind the sputtering offense..Ray has made it known he would love to run 3 outta 4 games, and i think he tied kuecks hands..maybe i'm wrong..first time for everything...as a person, i find him as interesting as drying paint.

Whats wrong with having kids from Lumberton, Silsbee, H.J., on the Lamar team ? I personally know one of those kids, and I can tell you he's working his ass off to help make Lamar a better team next year. I can also tell you he had more offers than Lamar,from several larger schools. He chose Lamar because it was close to home, and he liked the school. I dont think Lamar football is a dead end program, just got to give it time to develope.

There is nothing wrong with local area players, but many may not really have FCS level abilities (those needed to produce a winning product). LU coaches need to scour the entire state and nation to find the best talent we can get at every position. The running game versus passing may have had more to do with the ability of the qb and receivers to complete the pass than it did with what the coaches wanted to do. If you listened to or watched the last half of the SFA game and the first part of the Nicholls game until Moss got hurt you would have noticed we successfully passed the ball significantly more than we did most of the year.

Guest Crawfish

The results don't seem to be there. The team appears to be worse than the one he started with. At some point there has to be some measurable improvement. It does no matter where the kids come from, if they do not win the program fails.

I never call for a coaches head and i am not close enought to the situation to even make a judgement, but on paper it does not appear to be happening.

BTW, Comparing the Cardinals to USA is apples to oranges, since USA is playing a FBS schedule.

The record may be one loss worse, but realistically we got lucky against SELA twice coming from behind in the second half with a very good wide receiver corp and whether you liked Bevil or not of which I was not a big supporter, he could throw the deep ball fairly accurately and could dodge the rush, so in my opinion the won/loss record is not a good indicator of improvement. While we lost several games by larger scores than I would prefer, I believe the defense and special teams were noticeably better and the offense was extremely young, so end result this years team overall is an improvement over last years.

Guest Cardinalrule

I'm with ya. And I've had posts deleted. And I don't see anything wrong with calling him ray ray.

Guest Cardinalrule

Whats wrong with having kids from Lumberton, Silsbee, H.J., on the Lamar team ? I personally know one of those kids, and I can tell you he's working his ass off to help make Lamar a better team next year. I can also tell you he had more offers than Lamar,from several larger schools. He chose Lamar because it was close to home, and he liked the school. I dont think Lamar football is a dead end program, just got to give it time to develope.

Major ditto.

Guest Cardinalrule

I believe Ray is a good man, salesman, and has the back of some Silsbee money! All of this does not make him d1 coaching material. I really believe most of the team likes him, as I know the other slc coaches do, but he does not have the thing that makes a head coach. He probably would make a great asst coach. We cannot win with lineman from lumberton, silsbee, hj, etc. Most of these guys are 6 2 and weigh 230-245 lbs. They have height and no size. Wish he had the thing but my instinct tells me no. Now this is just my true opinion and I am sure most will disagree but I will stick with my thoughts and after next year I am proven wrong I will apologize and give him his dues!! If you disagree with my thoughts I respect that and will not call you an elementary name because you do not see or believe things as I do!!

I am not with you on portions of this post. Mainly the silsbee lumberton posts. I hope we continue recruiting locally, we should. We don't have a single starting lineman that is 245 lbs. I'm not sure if we even have any that light on the roster.

Guest Cardinalrule

Ray does a pretty good job. He has had some ups and downs with the coaching staff. Things will get better as players settle it. Sure it takes a couple of years, some it may only take a year to win ball games. The one thing that most people forget about is that this is Lamar we are talking about...in Beaumont, Texas. We don't have the luxury of playing in the Alamo Dome like UTSA, having the big city of SA to recruit to. We don't have the the big city of Mobile, Alabama to recruit to like South Alabama does, etc. You get my point???

If Lamar basketball has a rough year this year are you going to be calling for Knight's head??? I didn't think so.

I am all for Ray, he is a great guy and has done a ton of fundraising for "OUR" university. Give him a chance with a staff that is in place. He will make some adjustments on recruiting, and LU will start to win more games. If LU does jump conferences then LU will start to get more players. Seeing KJ get Newcomer of the Year will help to get some of his friends and others to Lamar. Get off his back!!!!

GO Lamar!!!! 8) 8)

No, I don't get your point. SHSU went to the national championship game last year and beats the crap out of us. they are in Huntsville? SFA has embarrassed us three years in a row..they are in Nacogdoches?? NWSU, Natchitoches. Central Arkansas in Conway. McNeese in Lake Charles? Texas State in San Marcos (ok, not in our conference but have you been to San Marcos?).

His point wasn't being made as a comparison of Beaumont to Nacogdoches or Huntsville. Rather, it was those who earlier were comparing the performance of the LU program over the first few years to UTSA or South Alabama. As both UTSA and USA are recruiting into larger (in UTSA's case, a *much* larger) media market, it's not a good comparison.

The fact that both UTSA and USA were also moving to FBS has a significant impact on the talent levels available to it--in what isn't a surprise to anyone, more kids want to play even low-level FBS ball than FCS ball. This is one reason I'm surprised Georgia State took a dive off the cliff this year; they should have been able to recruit significantly better than LU (or any other FCS school can) because of their impending FBS presence in the Sun Belt.

I've stayed away from most of the football discussions this year, as I've had the same emotional ups-and-downs that most have had. I've also had more than a few times I've started to write something only to pull it down on second thought. Basically, my thoughts on the season and direction of the program are as follows:

1. I do feel that seasons--and coaches--have to be evaluated on a "whole season" perspective. I felt that through the first two seasons, Ray did a commendable job. We had a successful season for a first-year program, and in our second year, picked to finish last in the conference, we managed to finish above two other teams. Was it great performance? No--the ugly losses to top teams, brutal special teams, and defensive lapses were causes for concern. But for the first two seasons, I feel Ray exceeded expectations.

2. So what about this year? Well, I have to agree with those who are disappointed with how the season turned out. But you don't fire a coach--especially one who saw enough of the light to replace ineffective coordinators with new ones this year--off of one bad season. I do feel improvement is needed next year or we need to start looking elsewhere.

3. I do feel that this year's team isn't as bad as some think. Where we *are* bad are at two vital positions: offensive line and quarterback. It is hard to look good when you can't make any holes for runners to get through or protect the quarterback. We did neither well this year, and it really showed against the FBS level schools we played. If the line doesn't get any better, neither will the team. I thought it was a joke when some on this board attacked the running backs for their performance when they're getting hit three yards deep in the backfield on half their carries. You'd need Barry Sanders back there to get away from penetration like that.

4. I didn't feel either QB showed me they were valid options at the position. I realize Mossakowski was hurt for a chunk of the year, and did show flashes of promise at times, but just seemed far too inconsistent and hesitant to me. Perhaps another year of development will help, but I'm not that optimistic. And Berry looked weaker than Moss in every way except for mobility. Perhaps one of the incoming recruits or the redshirted players will be the answer. I hope we at least have some good additional options for next year.

5. Get off the transfer hating. Listen... I'm not happy Sims basically used us for a year to get attention to get a better deal, but such is the life at the FCS level. When a BCS-level played becomes available to a team like LU, you jump at the opportunity if you've got any ability to do so at all and any need at that position. Don't believe me? Sam has had a hell of a team the last two years. Certainly kicked our asses, as well as most everyone else they played at the FCS level. And let's face it: they proved that their *very* talented team was as good as Baylor's back-ups, A&M's fourth-stringers, and New Mexico's starters (last year). When New Mexico was the worst team in FBS. Back-up players at BCS schools are all of starter-quality for virtually any FCS team--especially one that is of our quality.

6. This ain't basketball. The Southland is a terrible basketball conference--LU has no excuses (outside of a major rebuilding year like the one we are starting now) for finishing outside the top four teams in the conference. We have far better facilities, attendance, and resources than virtually anyone else int he conference. However, in football, we're the new kid, and the conference is strong. While we have competitive facilities, attendance, and resources to our peers, we aren't head and shoulders above them. There are several established, solid programs in the conference, that are or have recently been relevant in the national championship picture. Sam's recent performance, SFA before them, the solid history of McNeese, and the recent quality of Central Arkansas' play show the quality of the conference. We're not going to walk in and take over--building a successful program takes time.

7. I could care less whether we run 40 times a game or throw it 40 times a game. Just win. From looking at what we had this year, I can see why Woodard wanted to run: we had three or four decent-looking running backs, while we had no strong QBs and one or two receivers. But when you don't have an offensive line, I'm not sure any of the options he'd chosen would have worked. If we'd come out in a spread chucking it 40 times a game, I think we might have looked a little more interesting, but would have had a boatload more sacks and picks... and no more wins, IMHO.

8. The purpose of the Lamar program is not to provide jobs for fourth-tier local talent. If a local kid is of FCS quality... great. Otherwise, we only serve to promote the overactive imagination of locals who think a kid with a five-second 40 and a good attitude can actually play at this level. A 3-9 team full of Golden Triangle kids will draw 4,000 a game in the long run. A 9-3 team full of kids from Guam will draw 14,000 a game. Go wherever you have to go to get talent... just put guys on the field that can win.

Next year is key. I am worried--as some have pointed out--that with the three-year "honeymoon" period over for season tickets, that we will see a drop in support next year. Folks in this area have teenager-like attention spans and don't have a good history of supporting local sports outside the High School sphere. Next year, the squad must show improvement in conference play: a mid-tier performance is the minimum acceptable. I also agree 100% with those who want to ditch the 3:00 PM starts--I don't care if it costs us Southland TV coverage--people want the night games and the attendance numbers prove it.

Let's look at the roster:

Of the 16 seniors only 6 have been on team all thee seasons, only one is a redshirt.

Of the 30 juniors, 20 have been with the team all three years and 3 are redshirts.

Of the 16 sophomores, 10 are redshirts and 10 have played both seasons.

Of the 27 freshmen, 4 are redshirts. Not sure how many of the remaining freshmen were given a redshirt for this year.

The senior class should be the strongest since most would have been on the team all four years. But since this is only year 3 and Woodard chose to go heavy with JUCOs the first few years, the upperclassmen haven't been on the team very long. Next year will be the first year they'll have guys who have been there all 4 years. They should finally have the depth that the rest of the teams in the conference have.

You could say Woodard's plan to go heavy with JUCOs did work the first two years but this year the team payed the price for that. As I've said before, I don't think next year they'll have any excuses for not being competitive in the SLC. They'll have more depth, a lot of returning players, the coaching staff back, and another recruiting class coming in. I can't see how the AD can justify keeping Woodard after next year if he doesn't win at least 6 games.

Guest bossman73
Coach Woodard is a very good coach,one thing that needs to happen this offseason is the O-LINE has to get stronger. lifting 325lbs to 375lbs stinks to put it nicely,they have to be lifting close to 500lbs on bench and 800lbs squat.The line size is fine. P.S. every school wants a 6'5",6'6"OT or 6'3",6'4" CENTER,OG 300lbs but D1 1A schools have them.The only way we get big boys is from JUCO... HELLO!!!

Guest Hookem14

Coach Woodard is a very good coach,one thing that needs to happen this offseason is the O-LINE has to get stronger. lifting 325lbs to 375lbs stinks to put it nicely,they have to be lifting close to 500lbs on bench and 800lbs squat.The line size is fine. P.S. every school wants a 6'5",6'6"OT or 6'3",6'4" CENTER,OG 300lbs but D1 1A schools have them.The only way we get big boys is from JUCO... HELLO!!!

Your first sentence has to be a misprint! What could you have seen that could possibly lead you to believe this to be true?