Woodard adds another offensive lineman

TBonesLU

Chris Mayer is 6'7 345 lbs. I'll update what I wrote on another thread:

The 4 OL transfers average 6'4 309 lbs. The 6 graduating OL averaged a little over 275 lbs. Next year the lightest player on the 2-deep will probably be Kyle Gillam at 270, everyone else should be at least 280.

The two HS OLs that are committed but not yet signed weigh 280 and 265 lbs respectively. That's 6 new OL averaging over 20 lbs more than the 6 OL who are graduating.

So 6 OL JuCo transfers? This guy is a horrible recruiter. Don't worry, these guys will be gone in 2 years and Ray still won't remember to recruit OL guys and you'll bring in another crop

Where did you get 6 OL JUCO transfers from? 3 are OL JUCO transfers, 2 are DL JUCO transfers, 1 is a FBS OL transfer. Get your facts straight before posting.

So 6 OL JuCo transfers? This guy is a horrible recruiter. Don't worry, these guys will be gone in 2 years and Ray still won't remember to recruit OL guys and you'll bring in another crop

Where did you get 6 OL JUCO transfers from? 3 are OL JUCO transfers, 2 are DL JUCO transfers, 1 is a FBS OL transfer. Get your facts straight before posting.

I should have clarified "transfers" instead of JuCo:

Edwards (San Mateo CC)

Wempa (Tyler JC)

Collins (TVCC)

Jones (Kilgore)

Robertson (Blinn)

Then add in the three mentioned the other day, and that's 8 JuCo OL plus a handful of FBS transfers.

Again.... horrible recruiter. Lamar deserves better.

I should have clarified "transfers" instead of JuCo:

Edwards (San Mateo CC)

Wempa (Tyler JC)

Collins (TVCC)

Jones (Kilgore)

Robertson (Blinn)

Then add in the three mentioned the other day, and that's 8 JuCo OL plus a handful of FBS transfers.

Again.... horrible recruiter. Lamar deserves better.

So your logic is that someone who recruits a lot of JUCO players is a horrible recruiter? As others have brought up, Bill Snyder at K-State likes to recruit JUCO players, he has 26 on his roster. I guess you believe K-State deserves better? Now Woodard is no Bill Snyder. Snyder knows how to win, and most people judge a coach on how much he wins, not the high school to JUCO player ratio of his roster.

Guest bossman73
JJwooten wempa held his own this year!. If you watched some tapes from this year WEMPA was one on one and did GREAT!! The new OL linemen coming AWESOME

So your logic is that someone who recruits a lot of JUCO players is a horrible recruiter? As others have brought up, Bill Snyder at K-State likes to recruit JUCO players, he has 26 on his roster. I guess you believe K-State deserves better? Now Woodard is no Bill Snyder. Snyder knows how to win, and most people judge a coach on how much he wins, not the high school to JUCO player ratio of his roster.

I'll try to remember this post whenever everyone is complaining next year about the lack of production from the transfers. :o

I don't remember people complaining about juco transfers. I remember seeing a lot of complaints about the FBS transfers. Our program is not established enough to bring in freshman and redshift them. Unfortunately, we have to bring in ready to play juco transfers. We had some juco transfers like Longino play well this year.

Guest CardAmbassador
Woodard knows he needs results immediately, that's why we are seeing all these transfers. I don't see how he can survive another year here with the results hes getting. He will either turn things around next year or we could see a new coach in 2014.

Next year the OL should be spread out pretty evenly between the classes:

Seniors: Wempa, Gillam, Babin, Fairchild

Juniors: Shead, Kelso, McCormack, Mayer, Utterback

Sophs: Brock, Anthony, Alfonso, Campbell

Freshmen: Treadway (RS), Persohn (RS), Whitaker (RS), Conn ??, Greif ??

The new transfers may not even start next year but just add depth to the OL.

LT - Brock (started 6 games this year)

LG - Wempa (started 8 games this year)

C - Gillam (started 11 games this year)

RG - Kelso (started 5 games this year)

RT - Babin (started 12 games this year)

Or the coaches could go with a big lineup:

LT - Mayer (6-7, 345)

LG - Wempa (6-2, 345)

C - McCormack (6-3, 295)

RG - Anthony (6-2, 319)

RT - Babin (6-4, 315)

And it's possible some of the freshmen will step up and surprise us. I just think the coaches will have a lot more to work with than last year.

at this level of football freshman will play a key role in the teams success. Lamar being an upstart program it has to bring in juco players who can fill the void left by the graduating seniors. If you have noticed from year one to this year there has been less juco players. and if you take an even closer look you will see that the line was the most pressing of the teams needs. On defense you are losing both of the DTs there are 2 OLBs who graduated and 2 DBs, the most pressing of those is the DTs because they wouldn't be able to get through spring without any DTs. ON the offensive side of the ball the WRs came up big and most of the WRs will be seniors so after next year expect some Juco WR to come. The TEs are all coming back and there will be one senior among the group. There was 1 RB who graduated but there are 2 solid freshman that are still on the team. The o-line is the position that needed to be addressed that was the position that graduated people and bringing in high school players to address that need is something that is not very smart. Those freshman will not be ready to compete for at least a year at the earliest( and that is being highly optimistic). Bring in the juco transfers and the FBS transfer will help the Lamar Cardinals improve. I believe that this year they will make big strides and push for the conference title. The defense will continue to improve and the offense will get a solid spring in that will springboard them into a solid season. the preseason schedule will help them get ready for a tough conference schedule having to go to Sam will be tough but SFA is coming to LU along with UCA and NWST. The new coaches at Lamar will get these players motivated and I believe you will see the best Lamar Cardinal season to date.

And JJwooten you to talk a lot of crap on here but i bet if you strapped it up and went and tried top play with the football team you would re-think a lot of this ish that you post

at this level of football freshman will play a key role in the teams success. Lamar being an upstart program it has to bring in juco players who can fill the void left by the graduating seniors. If you have noticed from year one to this year there has been less juco players. and if you take an even closer look you will see that the line was the most pressing of the teams needs. On defense you are losing both of the DTs there are 2 OLBs who graduated and 2 DBs, the most pressing of those is the DTs because they wouldn't be able to get through spring without any DTs. ON the offensive side of the ball the WRs came up big and most of the WRs will be seniors so after next year expect some Juco WR to come. The TEs are all coming back and there will be one senior among the group. There was 1 RB who graduated but there are 2 solid freshman that are still on the team. The o-line is the position that needed to be addressed that was the position that graduated people and bringing in high school players to address that need is something that is not very smart. Those freshman will not be ready to compete for at least a year at the earliest( and that is being highly optimistic). Bring in the juco transfers and the FBS transfer will help the Lamar Cardinals improve. I believe that this year they will make big strides and push for the conference title. The defense will continue to improve and the offense will get a solid spring in that will springboard them into a solid season. the preseason schedule will help them get ready for a tough conference schedule having to go to Sam will be tough but SFA is coming to LU along with UCA and NWST. The new coaches at Lamar will get these players motivated and I believe you will see the best Lamar Cardinal season to date.

And JJwooten you to talk a lot of crap on here but i bet if you strapped it up and went and tried top play with the football team you would re-think a lot of this ish that you post

Finally...someone that gets "it". Thank you.

not being a smartass...but why not develop freshman OL...who did we recruit last 4 yrs for OL..where are they now? aside from Gillam..I know he's been here since freshman yr.

I think we could and are developing freshman OL but how much longer would that prolong adding wins to our record? How much more patient would you (meaning fans) be willing to be? Kind of a double-edged sword...

HS Players on the team since 2010:

Marshall Fairchild was a walk-on in 2010. Kyle Gillam has been starting since 2010. Ian Kelso was suppose to redshirt in 2010 but he was forced to play on the DL in 2010, then redshirted in 2011. Babin started 8 games in 2010 as a freshmen then was a backup in 2011. Emone Bailey had a lot of starts in 2010 and 2011 before flunking out of school.

These are the mainstays with JUCOs filling the gaps. This year Woodard started the game with 4 HS players on the OL (Babin, Brock, Gillam, and Kelso), but by year's end Collins and Robertson and replaced a few in the starting OL.