*Rumored Lamar to FBS discussion*

LU1991

The Wac will not stop at just a 9/12 football/all school set up because it's just a raid away from being destablized. That's the immediate goal (9/12 with two 6 team divisions) but I definitely see a 12/16 or even a 14/16 set up eventually (assuming UTA adds football in the future). Lamar fits the footprint of the south division and plays football so again I think they will be included once Lamar commits to stadium expansion. Portland State and Sacramento State in the west or the 2 Montana schools are the only teams that are possible in the immediate future (3 years out). Other Football schools such as UC Davis and Cal Poly are possible in say 5-8 years, if ever. There is a possibility that none of these schools are ready either within 3 years so the WAC will potentially add Cal State Bakersfield (no football) for the west and then add Lamar in the south/east. That would be an 8/12 setup that according to the WAC is worst case scenario but doable in the immediate future. I honestly do not see any FBS school like UNT or even ULL considering joining until there is split division play for a few years for all non football sports. Lamar fits the profile of helping the WAC in the short term whether the WAC likes it or not. That's why I see how obvious the choice of Lamar joining has become.

Everything you're saying is encouraging and we all need it on this board. God knows we've been let down too many times by things not going through the way we would've liked. What school did you attend? I'm just curious because of your name.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to guess UC-Davis?

I'd guess that as well. I'm just curious...why so supportive if so? Don't get me wrong...I like it. We're just not used to it on this forum. It's more common to see other schools supportive on BR.

Interesting thread on the WAC board about Karl Benson's speech today. He said that the WAC will definitely get two football schools next and that Denver will be in the west division, which probably means the WAC will get a football team from the east. Maybe Lamar?

Someone posted this possible WAC lineup:

So he probably wants it like

WEST

USU

SJSU

Idaho

Seattle*

Denver*

(other)

EAST

TXST

UTSA

LA Tech

NMSU

UTA*

(other...probably Lamar)

Another nugget:

New Members - Have spent the time from January through April recruiting teams to join. Will likely take a break and let things settle down for the next 6 months or so. Touched on economic situation in CA that is a likely reason why schools there are reluctant or are forced not to move up. Said that the next additions will definitely be 2 football playing members. Thinks the 2 division set up will be a big advantage in trying to get 2 football schools to join.

Link: http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=7713914

Guest CardAmbassador

Maybe I was premature to write off our chances, this sends my hopes directly back up to the top that LU will be added in 2013. Benson himself is implying that there will be an eastern addition. This is good news for us, the addition has to be a CST football school. I do not see a UNT or ULL defection possible without the Sun Belt losing teams to C-USA, that means the add will likely be a FCS team. We fit the bill pretty well here for the eastern addition.

The plan could have very well been all along to add LU and UTA in the East and only one western team because of the difficulty in finding a good candidate. I thought it would be easier to find two additions out side of the CST but I was wrong.

This also tells me that the Montanas are out of question now.

Who do we think the western school will be?

Or, and I hate to send everyones doubts soaring again, Benson could be playing it smart, signaling to western schools that there is only one opening could end up getting two bites for Benson in the West, no?

Really doubt that's the case, congrats guys we're looking good!!

Maybe I was premature to right off of our chances, this sends my hopes directly back up to the top that LU will be added in 2013. Benson himself is implying that there will be an eastern addition. This is good news for us, the addition has to be a CST football school. I do not see a UNT or ULL defection possible without the Sun Belt losing teams to C-USA, that means the add will likely be a FCS team. We fit the bill pretty well here for the eastern addition.

The plan could have very well been all along to add LU and UTA in the East and only one western team because of the difficulty in finding a good candidate. I thought it would be easier to find two additions out side of the CST but I was wrong.

Or, and I hate to send everyones doubts soaring again, Benson could be playing it smart, signaling to western schools that there is only one opening could end up getting two bites for Benson in the West, no?

Sounds good! Beer, anyone?

Guest farmfanucdgrad
The Wac will not stop at just a 9/12 football/all school set up because it's just a raid away from being destablized. That's the immediate goal (9/12 with two 6 team divisions) but I definitely see a 12/16 or even a 14/16 set up eventually (assuming UTA adds football in the future). Lamar fits the footprint of the south division and plays football so again I think they will be included once Lamar commits to stadium expansion. Portland State and Sacramento State in the west or the 2 Montana schools are the only teams that are possible in the immediate future (3 years out). Other Football schools such as UC Davis and Cal Poly are possible in say 5-8 years, if ever. There is a possibility that none of these schools are ready either within 3 years so the WAC will potentially add Cal State Bakersfield (no football) for the west and then add Lamar in the south/east. That would be an 8/12 setup that according to the WAC is worst case scenario but doable in the immediate future. I honestly do not see any FBS school like UNT or even ULL considering joining until there is split division play for a few years for all non football sports. Lamar fits the profile of helping the WAC in the short term whether the WAC likes it or not. That's why I see how obvious the choice of Lamar joining has become.

Everything you're saying is encouraging and we all need it on this board. God knows we've been let down too many times by things not going through the way we would've liked. What school did you attend? I'm just curious because of your name.

I was raised a Stanford fan (Stanford rural campus is known as the farm) but went to UC Davis.

You do remember that the size of the WAC was what broke up the conference the first time, right?

Sports Radio 610's John Lopez and Marc Vandeermeer reported that it is very very likely that Lamar and SHU will make the move to the WAC. This looks like a possibility but it seems like we are going to be in a more expensive Southland Conf. Everybody is moving. Tarleton would be a good move to SLC. Lamar needs to win big and expand big. this will drive up enrolment and endowment. Everybody knows that Lamar is an Engineering school and more known for its baseball program but if we start blowing people out in fornt of huge crowds, more people will stay home and represent Lamar.

Cplatt

Sports Radio 610's John Lopez and Marc Vandeermeer reported that it is very very likely that Lamar and SHU will make the move to the WAC. This looks like a possibility but it seems like we are going to be in a more expensive Southland Conf. Everybody is moving. Tarleton would be a good move to SLC. Lamar needs to win big and expand big. this will drive up enrolment and endowment. Everybody knows that Lamar is an Engineering school and more known for its baseball program but if we start blowing people out in fornt of huge crowds, more people will stay home and represent Lamar.

Cplatt

That's interesting that these guys would mention that. I'm guessing they read these message boards just like everybody else but it's possible they have some inside info. It's just a matter of time before Lamar and/or SHSU are in a FBS conference.

Guest farmfanucdgrad
Also, I wish that the WAC would add western teams but I'm realistic with the multitude of current situations that exist for FCS teams right now. Hell I wish UC Davis would step up athletically like they are academically (they actually are but slowly at their own pace as usual) but despite all my hopes I see what realistically can or cannot be achieved by the WAC in this short time frame. Everthing is about timing and Lamar is sitting pretty right now as far as being ready and willing to join the WAC. The WAC desperately wants/needs a western time zone team but timing is terrible for almost all the candidates at the present moment. This will be as much a political manuever as it is functional because the WAC has to make the western teams happy just like it has to make the eastern teams. Watch....the WAC may very well do something like taking a non-football school like Cal State Bakersfield, maybe even Utah Valley State as a "western school" and then add Lamar as well. This way the WAC can save face (or attempt to) and say that the conference is so stable and desirable that it can expand on it's own terms while still achieving it's goal of 12 teams and divisional play. This format would at least be attractive to more FCS teams trying to make the upgrade as well as set the table perhaps for an FBS team to join the east (ULL and yes even UNT)a year or two later. Of course everything also depends on the fallout or trickle down effect of conference realignment and how that would affect the SunBelt and WAC. Needless to say, if you look at the equation where the WAC needs football schools and the only football school willing to join is Lamar, then I like Lamar's chances.

Guest CardAmbassador

@TexGator, most of the WAC fans I have spoken to say that it wasn't necessarily the size that broke up the WAC but the 4 divisions. The WAC split into four divisions that killed some historic rivalries and caused teams to leave.

@Cplatt, nice find. That doesn't line up with what Benson said in his interview at the WAC media day though. Benson implied that there would be one western and one eastern addition. But that could very well happen. You have to wonder, Brent of BR is stick by his guns on USU leaving. If that happened you could see two eastern additions and one western no? I have my doubts about USU leaving but anything is possible right now.

As much as the WAC is becoming the SLC lite it's still a big step up IMO. Most of the teams that are leaving the WAC are the large enrollment schools, and a few (TxSt and UTSA) were successful in the SLC's commissioner cup year in and year out. We would be joining the some of the better SLC teams and leaving behind, UCA, Nicholls and TAMU-CC.

EDIT: I also feel that no matter how much we do to improve the campus and school there are always going to be locals that want to go to other schools. That's basically because many people want to go off to college for one reason or another. What would change is the quality of student we could attract to stay, and the number of students we attract from other areas. (which is growing, go read my post in the campus corner section, LU is seeing 1,300 student increase in on campus enrollment)

Latest UTSATailgaters article on the WAC:

About Utah State:

Our staff was able to confirm with a direct source from the USU program, that there is no such news and that absolutely nothing has been said on the topic, "Don't buy any stock into that rumor. Those rumors have been around since January. That we're going here or we're going there. We're not going anywhere."

About Portland State:

Another direct source within the Vikings program was very clear and extremely emphatic in his response, "There is no question we are staying where we are at right now! At one time the WAC was a very attractive conference to be a part of. All the major schools have left and so has their marketing ability. It's not as attractive anymore from that standpoint."

http://www.utsatailgaters.com/other/articles/wac-news-notes

From the Benson speech yesterday, maybe the primary targets are Montana and Lamar, that's assuming Montana would leave Montana State behind.

Guest CardAmbassador

No offense to UTSA tailgaters but they don't have half the resources or contacts that BR has. I'm very skeptical of what Brent is saying but he says its a higher up connected to USU anonymously giving him this info. I'm going to give this rumor the full 15 days. I would trust BR more than some random guy in the AD. The first person who is going to know about a potential conference switch is not in the athletic department, they're in the president's office.

The fewer western teams willing to join the better for LU. Again this doesn't mean much though, peoples tunes can change in six months.

@TexGator, most of the WAC fans I have spoken to say that it wasn't necessarily the size that broke up the WAC but the 4 divisions. The WAC split into four divisions that killed some historic rivalries and caused teams to leave.

@Cplatt, nice find. That doesn't line up with what Benson said in his interview at the WAC media day though. Benson implied that there would be one western and one eastern addition. But that could very well happen. You have to wonder, Brent of BR is stick by his guns on USU leaving. If that happened you could see two eastern additions and one western no? I have my doubts about USU leaving but anything is possible right now.

As much as the WAC is becoming the SLC lite it's still a big step up IMO. Most of the teams that are leaving the WAC are the large enrollment schools, and a few (TxSt and UTSA) were successful in the SLC's commissioner cup year in and year out. We would be joining the some of the better SLC teams and leaving behind, UCA, Nicholls and TAMU-CC.

EDIT: I also feel that no matter how much we do to improve the campus and school there are always going to be locals that want to go to other schools. That's basically because many people want to go off to college for one reason or another. What would change is the quality of student we could attract to stay, and the number of students we attract from other areas. (which is growing, go read my post in the campus corner section, LU is seeing 1,300 student increase in on campus enrollment)

To be technically correct, the "4 pods" idea was what broke things up because the old WAC didn't like being split up and not getting to play each other annually. But, size was the reason why the pods happened. If they had stopped at 12 teams, most of the problems would have been minimized. Plus, a conference that goes from I-45 to Honolulu is ridiculous.

With the possible defection of Utah State and eventually La. Tech this conference doesn't excite me like it use to. Don't get me wrong I still think its in the best interest of LU and SHSU to be aggressive about a potential move. But, the bottom line is that both schools would potentially have to pay millions more to play with schools we are already playing. The alternative is obviously staying in a diluted SLC which isn't that attractive either. I guess I will take the lesser of two evils, which is the WAC. I'm not trying to sound pessimistic but "stepping up" might not be as glamorous as some think. I wonder how some of you guys feel about the WAC in general. Are you guys so pro FBS that you would want to join the WAC no matter how "ugly" it is?

Guest CardAmbassador
With the possible defection of Utah State and eventually La. Tech this conference doesn't excite me like it use to. Don't get me wrong I still think its in the best interest of LU and SHSU to be aggressive about a potential move. But, the bottom line is that both schools would potentially have to pay millions more to play with schools we are already playing. The alternative is obviously staying in a diluted SLC which isn't that attractive either. I guess I will take the lesser of two evils, which is the WAC. I'm not trying to sound pessimistic but "stepping up" might not be as glamorous as some think. I wonder how some of you guys feel about the WAC in general. Are you guys so pro FBS that you would want to join the WAC no matter how "ugly" it is?

I'm curious what you're expectations were when and if SHSU and LU were added to the WAC. Did you honestly see the WAC 5 sticking around for very long? I didn't, I expected most of the western schools to be gone a few years after we joined. It's a choice between the large enrollment schools in the SLC and the bottom ones with DII's mixed in. Pretty easy choice for me. The defection of the Western schools makes the move even more attractive in the long run because of reduced travel cost. TxSt and UTSA have both done the transition right IMO. I think they will gain some national attention and being tied to their hip vs. some of the schools in the SLC is much better for LU.

i dont know much about where sports radio 610 got there info but im sure its pretty credible. They are a major sport talk radio station that anounced it. Dont murder the messanger that just what i heard at 7 am this morning. Who really knows at this point.

I can nearly agree with you. Here is my only argument. An ugly WAC is better than an ugly SLC any day of the year. I would prefer playing schools such as those currently in the WAC than get stuck behind with those left over in the SLC. I can empathize with your viewpoint, but the WAC at its worst is almost always going to be better than the Southland at its best.

Don't get me wrong, McNeese and the likes are good opponents in terms of rivalry, etc. However, I'd replace them with schools like Idaho and others any day. Just think of that notion for one minute..."The University of Idaho". They represent their whole state. It's like UT is for Texas. Regardless of where someone may live in Texas, there is a fan of UT in at least every city. It's because they are the University of Texas (and are dominant in nearly all sports). They are the state's university. So to have schools that represent their whole state should imply the step this would be for these two universities.

^^^I don't know if that part made as much sense in words as it does in my head, but I tried.

Maybe I was premature to right off of our chances, this sends my hopes directly back up to the top that LU will be added in 2013. Benson himself is implying that there will be an eastern addition. This is good news for us, the addition has to be a CST football school. I do not see a UNT or ULL defection possible without the Sun Belt losing teams to C-USA, that means the add will likely be a FCS team. We fit the bill pretty well here for the eastern addition.

Sounds good! Beer, anyone?

I'm concerned Benson is using Lamar as a come-on to lure both Montana schools. They probably understand that if Lamar is in the picture, they are not, at least not for awhile. Having been in college athletics, it is hard for me to believe or trust anyone affiliated with it. Everyone lies & some are exceptionally good at it.

I think it would be a mistake for the WAC to add both Montana and Montana State. Everybody seems to think it's either both or neither to the WAC, but Montana State's AD seems pretty adamant that they are staying put while I haven't heard much from Montana's AD. With Benson hinting that they want to add 2 football schools and Denver will be in the west division, maybe Montana and Lamar will get the invite next spring. I could live with this setup:

WEST

USU

SJSU

Idaho

Seattle*

Denver*

Montana

EAST

TXST

UTSA

LA Tech

NMSU

UTA*

Lamar

With rumors of Utah State going to the MWC, I wonder if the Montana schools will say no to WAC because they may not want to play all these teams in and around Texas with the possibility of more joining the WAC in the next few years.

I was just thinking about this- is the Golden Triangle ready to open up their wallets again so quickly for Lamar to make the move up?

Let's face it on a move to the WAC... The PUS isn't going to be sufficient for FBS football. We'd be within 1500 seats of having the smallest FBS stadium in America and the KibbieDome would have been expanded in the last decade if they could.

Bowling around on the lower level (a very cheap expansion) won't hack it. We need to get up to 30K+ if we're going to host teams from BCS conferences. While getting UT, TAMU, OU, or LSU to come to Beaumont are probably out of the question, bringing other Big XII and SEC schools to Beaumont may not be as difficult... and their fans travel... and travel well. This is a $30M+ proposition, and I worry that the donors may not be ready to write another big check when the Montagne would also need some updates, we still have to build a softball stadium, and Vincent-Beck is due for an update, as well.

Donors like to see tangible returns on their investments, so fundraising for an expansion of The PUS is easier than trying to solicit donations for additional endowed chairs or updating a building that didn't exist when some of the donors were undergrads, but they just went to those wells recently.

Speaking of that, if they work on expanding both in the same project, any chance they'd be able to configure the Montagne where some of the boxes can be used for both buildings?

Guest CardAmbassador

If you read my post a few days ago in the Kampus Korner section I talk about our fundraising capabilities. Dr. Simmons says we haven't scratched the surface of potential large donations to LU. You're post makes it seem Like LU was scrapping together cash just to get the current program off the ground. That's not my understanding.

So no it's not the Golden Triangle that needs to be willing to open up their wallets for a big project, it would be rich alums who are scattered all over the Nation. Just look at the current Advisory Board for the College of Engineering.

Assuming they can not get a school that they are really interested in for the west division this may be the WAC of 2013 or 2014, which would probably be good for Lamar in regards to travel costs. For football that would mean two west coast trips per year and the rest are within bus range. Basketball it would be three west coast trip per year for both mens and ladies. Other sports would probably be simalar but with good scheduling for say volleyball you might be able to get two of the west coast trips tied together to help minimize travel. Except for the fact that this would have four new to FBS schools it is not a bad looking conference.

WEST

USU

SJSU

Idaho

Seattle*

Denver*

NMSU

EAST

TXST

UTSA

LA Tech

Lamar