*Rumored Lamar to FBS discussion*

LU1991

The only other options I see for the Big XII is the service academies or BYU. The service schools will not join unless all three service schools get to join together which I don't see that happening. BYU does not really seem to be interested. UH would jump at the chance and I am not sure if the Big XII would have any other option.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only other options I see for the Big XII is the service academies or BYU. The service schools will not join unless all three service schools get to join together which I don't see that happening. BYU does not really seem to be interested. UH would jump at the chance and I am not sure if the Big XII would have any other option.

There is an option; in fact, there are two:

(1) Go for it with 9 (which I think would be silly and be acting like an inferior conference having to play their old cohorts after they've moved on... "bitter ex syndrome").

(2) Disband and allow UT, OU, KU, and MU to reformulate as a new conference (or in multiple conferences in various combinations). I don't think Baylor, Tech, OSU, K-State, or ISU have enough pull to keep anything together.

But why would you disband when you have AQ status. Baylor, Tech, OSU, K-State, and ISU can invite the best of the rest from the mid major conferences and retain AQ status even with all the defections mentioned. Schools will join the big XII just cause of the AQ status.

But why would you disband when you have AQ status. Baylor, Tech, OSU, K-State, and ISU can invite the best of the rest from the mid major conferences and retain AQ status even with all the defections mentioned. Schools will join the big XII just cause of the AQ status.

Good question. While those schools are good schools (some, like Okie St. being stronger than others), I see a new conference (fresh start, new leadership, etc.) as a better option than trying to pick up the pieces. The Big East is the only conference in recent memory to be raided and stay strong and it did because C-USA was destined to fail (12 schools all in different states was ripe for the picking).

I don't see enough schools out there that would want to join "The Big XII" whereas a new conference that includes the ones I spoke of, as well as BYU and a few other schools that are actually strong draws (not Johnny-Come-Lately schools, but historically strong) where Texas and Oklahoma wouldn't be "bell-cows"... much like the SEC doesn't have 1-2 schools that are the national brands where everyone else enjoys the spoils.

Even when Texas and Oklahoma were down, their fan-bases subsidized other conference schools through the TV dollars (and ticket sales). The Aggies were that, as well. They just didn't see it like the other 11 schools did.

But all the schools that just joined the MWC would jump at the Big XII so they could be in an AQ. I would think there are at least 5 schools that would join the big XII. Not to mention, UT and OU probably will not leave cause the Big XII is the easiest way to a national championship.

But all the schools that just joined the MWC would jump at the Big XII so they could be in an AQ. I would think there are at least 5 schools that would join the big XII. Not to mention, UT and OU probably will not leave cause the Big XII is the easiest way to a national championship.

I don't see UT and OU wanting the MWC scraps (since the three biggest dogs in the MWC are all leaving)... Hawaii, Fresno St., Boise St. aren't exactly enticing propositions.

IMO the #1 school the Big XII should be trying to add is Central Florida. It is one of the largest schools in the country and would provide recruiting possibilities in Florida. Beyond that they would have to raid another AQ conference to maintain themselves as a power conference. UT and Oklahoma in football and KU and UT in basketball won't cut it. Putting UT, A&M, OU and Nebraska together was what built the Big XII and gave it credibility in football.

Guest CardAmbassador
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1095334.html

We might end up in the WAC after all. Especially if the SBC folds as predicted under this scenario.

I just don't see how the Sun Belt dies and the WAC survives. The Sun Belt is much more stable than the WAC.

The WAC had a real shot at regaining stability but now that they have waited so long I think their days may be numbered. Most of the teams will find a spot in other conferences, I can see TxSt-SM and UTSA in multiple conferences including the sun belt.

I don't take this article very seriously because he put ULM in C-USA, that's very far fetched IMO. Especially when you consider La Tech would try to block that move at all cost.

We might end up in the WAC after all. Especially if the SBC folds as predicted under this scenario.

I just don't see how the Sun Belt dies and the WAC survives. The Sun Belt is much more stable than the WAC.

The WAC had a real shot at regaining stability but now that they have waited so long I think their days may be numbered. Most of the teams will find a spot in other conferences, I can see TxSt-SM and UTSA in multiple conferences including the sun belt.

I don't take this article very seriously because he put ULM in C-USA, that's very far fetched IMO. Especially when you consider La Tech would try to block that move at all cost.

I agree. The WAC really needs to change its logo to a swinging door with a sign that says "just passing through" unless they can get some schools to agree to stick around for 10 years. Currently, they're just a punchline. Of course, being part of a punchline is better than not being mentioned.

We might end up in the WAC after all. Especially if the SBC folds as predicted under this.. scenario.

That article has the leftovers in the Sun Belt joining the leftovers in the CUSA so the Sun Belt goes away. The WAC is down to 6 teams so they'll need schools like Lamar to keep it alive. The Sun Belt leftovers could invite some WAC teams and/or some FCS teams and stay alive, same for the CUSA and WAC. Schools like Lamar should be able to find a FBS conference when this is all said and done. Back in the spring Larry Tidwell was saying there was going to be a lot of shuffling going on so maybe Lamar will eventually end up back in the Sun Belt.

Looks like the Tamu to SEC is a no go. Looks like our only shot for FBS next year is the WAC and our chances are pretty slim for that. I think we might be stuck for awhile at the FCS level.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6861385/sec-extend-invitation-texas-leaves-options-open

At least Lamar wasn't publicly rejected by the WAC like A&M has been rejected by the SEC today. I still think Lamar is going to the WAC if both Montana and Montana State turn down the WAC. Also, this seemed like an odd time for A&M to be jumping to the SEC, right before the new season. Conference realignment talk will heat up right after the college football season ends.

Guest CardAmbassador
My understanding is that the presidents decided not to issue the invite to TAMU "at this time." The door is always open for a future invite, just as we were discussing on LU to WAC.

It was a legal move by both parties IMO. The SEC was just covering itself by waiting until TAMU formally applies before it decides to vote them up or down. I really have no clue how long this process could take, but maybe it will get the LU officials attention from the likes of the SBC and WAC.

I Think the issue with the aggies and SEC is partly legal partly image. aTm's name is on the billion-dollar contract the Big 12 just signed with ESPN. If they leave and ESPN decides the B12-2-1more is not worth that much any more, they could be sued for breach of contract. Don't think UT or OU would bother, but one of the schools that was left in a world of hurt by the loss of revenue (say Baylor) might well find it worthwhile to do so. And the SEC could be sued too. Also, the SEC doesn't want to be perceived as a "raider". What they've said to the Ags is "Get all the legal issues resolved, leave the B12, and then we'll take you". Meanwhile they have time to find a 14th member. Just MHO.

Guest CardAmbassador
I Think the issue with the aggies and SEC is partly legal partly image. aTm's name is on the billion-dollar contract the Big 12 just signed with ESPN. If they leave and ESPN decides the B12-2-1more is not worth that much any more, they could be sued for breach of contract. Don't think UT or OU would bother, but one of the schools that was left in a world of hurt by the loss of revenue (say Baylor) might well find it worthwhile to do so. And the SEC could be sued too. Also, the SEC doesn't want to be perceived as a "raider". What they've said to the Ags is "Get all the legal issues resolved, leave the B12, and then we'll take you". Meanwhile they have time to find a 14th member. Just MHO.

That is exactly my understanding of the issues as well. I don't think TAMU wants to hurt their partners in the Big XII either, legality and appearance are what is at play here.

Do you think we should change the title of this to something like "Lamar to FBS News". Especially since we are not sure where we are going to end up. Or maybe just "Lamar and Conference Expansion". Just a thought. Not sure if anyone else agrees.

Yeah that makes sense as I can see us just as easily in the Sun Belt now as the WAC.

San Antonio Express News

August 25, 2011

COLLEGE STATION – Texas A&M has made its first official move outside of Aggieland in its plans to exit the Big 12 for the Southeastern Conference. The Aggies on Thursday afternoon sent the Big 12 office in Dallas a letter explaining the Aggies are “exploring options related to the institution’s athletic conference affiliation.”

An A&M insider said the letter is simply the first official, legal step in the process of A&M exiting the Big 12 for the SEC. The Big 12’s directors board is scheduled to meet on Saturday, the insider said, and perhaps at that time release the Aggies from the conference. If so, the SEC would then be free in the days following to invite A&M as its 13th member, and the Big 12 likely would officially begin its pursuit of a 10th member to take A&M’s place – perhaps BYU, Notre Dame, Houston or SMU, among other candidates.

Guest CardAmbassador
San Antonio Express News

August 25, 2011

COLLEGE STATION – Texas A&M has made its first official move outside of Aggieland in its plans to exit the Big 12 for the Southeastern Conference. The Aggies on Thursday afternoon sent the Big 12 office in Dallas a letter explaining the Aggies are “exploring options related to the institution’s athletic conference affiliation.”

An A&M insider said the letter is simply the first official, legal step in the process of A&M exiting the Big 12 for the SEC. The Big 12’s directors board is scheduled to meet on Saturday, the insider said, and perhaps at that time release the Aggies from the conference. If so, the SEC would then be free in the days following to invite A&M as its 13th member, and the Big 12 likely would officially begin its pursuit of a 10th member to take A&M’s place – perhaps BYU, Notre Dame, Houston or SMU, among other candidates.

Ideal scenario:

TAMU to the SEC, Big XII reloads with multiple teams from C-USA or MWC those conferences reload with Sun Belt and or WAC members. LU is invited to the Sun Belt or WAC!

San Antonio Express News

August 25, 2011

Ideal scenario:

TAMU to the SEC, Big XII reloads with multiple teams from C-USA or MWC those conferences reload with Sun Belt and or WAC members. LU is invited to the Sun Belt or WAC!

Agreed, though I don't think Louisiana Tech gets a C-USA invite. They're not all that. I think the invite goes to a SBC school. At least thats what I'm hoping. The SBC is a far more regional conference that will have lesser travel costs associated than the WAC. It would also allow us more road trips to see away games. Let's face it, California is too far for road trips for the vast majority of us and LU would be footing that bill often. I do still say that I'd rather WAC than nothing and I think the WAC is still a more talented conference than the SBC. That could all change very quickly though.

Guest CardAmbassador
San Antonio Express News

August 25, 2011

Ideal scenario:

Agreed, though I don't think Louisiana Tech gets a C-USA invite. They're not all that. I think the invite goes to a SBC school. At least thats what I'm hoping. The SBC is a far more regional conference that will have lesser travel costs associated than the WAC. It would also allow us more road trips to see away games. Let's face it, California is too far for road trips for the vast majority of us and LU would be footing that bill often. I do still say that I'd rather WAC than nothing and I think the WAC is still a more talented conference than the SBC. That could all change very quickly though.

When I think about LU in the WAC it would be a bit different than the current makeup. I believe the WAC could morph from westcoast to central to mountain to central in footprint. With all of the central timezone schools they have added it's going to be just as hard for the WAC to get any west coast schools to join as it will be for them to get any CST teams to join.

I think the WAC or SBC will be a little bit more interested in us now that there is so much movement at the top. I expect to hear things after football season.

San Antonio Express News

August 25, 2011

Ideal scenario:

When I think about LU in the WAC it would be a bit different than the current makeup. I believe the WAC could morph from westcoast to central to mountain to central in footprint. With all of the central timezone schools they have added it's going to be just as hard for the WAC to get any west coast schools to join as it will be for them to get any CST teams to join.

I think the WAC or SBC will be a little bit more interested in us now that there is so much movement at the top. I expect to hear things after football season.

With what you said, the WAC with LU, SHSU, TXSTSM, UTSA, LT, and possibly UTA later on is very intriguing and more than likely a far better conference than the SBC. Hopefully whichever conference it is will have teams that strengthen and make the conference more than just a stepping stone.

So with five former SLC members and La Tech the WAC is a stronger conference than the Sun Belt. It looks more like an FBS SLC with no reason for a TV network to prop it up with $$$ for a TV package. I am not sure either the WAC or SBC will be a good option. Unfortanately it will probably be the only option.