3:00PM Press Conference Tuesday---Tic Price New Head Hoops Coach

LAZEEK

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an embarrassment. Well, at least this frees me from what is officially the laughing stock of the country: Lamar university basketball...and, not far behind, Lamar University in general.

Why does Tic Price understand Beaumont, Texas? Because he sucks? Because he cheats on his wife with a damn coed? Because he is below average?

This is simply disgusting!!!

splash page on lamarcardinals.com

width=500 height=333http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/lama/graphics/lamar-baskbl-coach-14.jpg[/img]

This picture literally makes me want to throw up. Seriously considering not renewing my 6, gold seat, football season tickets. I haven't been this disgusted since Gerald Wilkins made that shot to beat us in the NIT.

While I would prefer a coach who has always demonstrated a high moral standard, I am willing to give Price a second chance on that page. I have said it before and will repeat, his body of work as a HC is not significantly above 50% winning and I want to see LU up in the 70% plus win ratio. I hope that he captures whatever he had going at UNO in the eighties and get LU's win percentage up and start regularly being in the top two or three of the conference.

While I would prefer a coach who has always demonstrated a high moral standard, I am willing to give Price a second chance on that page. I have said it before and will repeat, his body of work as a HC is not significantly above 50% winning and I want to see LU up in the 70% plus win ratio. I hope that he captures whatever he had going at UNO in the eighties and get LU's win percentage up and start regularly being in the top two or three of the conference.

+1

Other than I hope no one is hired as an assistant to be the heir apparent as the next head coach, I don't care who the assistants are as long as their work under Price improves the program. If Price, feels like Roc as a recruiter will help then so be it. Just produce a winning program.

At the press conference were some major TV,radio and arena advertisers and sponsors of Lamar athletics.With Texas reducing university funding over the years it was a positive to see a number of business leaders at the press conference who count on attendance and listeners to justify their advertising and sponsorship dollars.That is also a factor Ad's have to consider that fantasy Ad's sometimes aren't considering .

After watching the press conference, i am on board with Price. Newspaper articles from 15 yrs ago don't define who a coach is today. I think i see the reason that they didn't do a search.... They would not have done better than Price and the Admin new it. I also think players will want to play for him and for Lamar. Something tells me he doesn't want to let the people who support him down... I think we will get the best out of Price and that he will turn the program around in 3-4 years with improvement starting next year. There is no where for the program to fall, it can only get better and i think it will be better. I 'get' the negativity from the board but i suggest we support our coach. I think he can bring us success.

At least they did not waste everyone's time and do a fake search. After listening to some of the press conference I think Lamar hired Price because he was the easy pick. The hiring of Pat Knight was such a disaster that they probably didn't want to suffer through another embarrassment of doing another big search and hiring the wrong guy again.

If Price flops as a coach thry can blame Pat Knight, leaving the program in shambles. If Price wins we'll get endless Bob West articles telling us what a great job Lamar did in hiring Tic Price. Lamar took the easy way out in hiring Price, since it will be next to impossible for him to not be an improvement over Pat Knight. Why go for a home run when a bunt will do?

Lonely Tailgater ‏@LonelyTailgater 3h

Tic Price is heading to Lamar after Mike Davis ended up at Texas Southern? East Texas is where not-quite-dead coaches go to not-quite-die.

I talked to a friend of mine today who graduated from McNeese, and still follows SLC sports. I asked, expressionless, "Did you hear that Lamar hired Tic Price today?"

He had a befuddled look on his face and said "WHY? Why would they do that?" ???

Lonely Tailgater ?@LonelyTailgater 3h

Tic Price is heading to Lamar after Mike Davis ended up at Texas Southern? East Texas is where not-quite-dead coaches go to not-quite-die.

I talked to a friend of mine today who graduated from McNeese, and still follows SLC sports. I asked, expressionless, "Did you hear that Lamar hired Tic Price today?"

SFA Fan, you guys are just kicking our arse!!! The people we have in charge and most of our fans just don't get it!!!

North you need to slow your roll a bit.. I know you think price is a bad hire... and I agree with you BUT look at our hires that have recently been made... Harmony... Good, Bruder... Good, Soccer Coach... Good. so just be patient. He may be a good hire.. we cant throw him under the bus yet... I mean he got more out of this team that PK could have ever dreamed.. So time will tell if you are right or not.. I sure hope not but time will tell.

One thing I like is he wants to run and then play tight defense. If the team will buy into that, it could make for some interesting basketball for the fans. Based on Coach Price's comments in the press conference video, it sounds like the players are on board.

If he can get production like he did at UNO, it should be a fun time. I'm willing to give him a chance.

from bio on Memphis Tigers website...

Offense and defense have played equal parts in Price's successful career. While at UNO, the Privateers set a school record by making 167 three-pointers in 1994-95, then topped that mark with 189 the following season. But Price is just as proud that his team led the Sun Belt Conference in field goal percentage defense for three consecutive years.

North you need to slow your roll a bit.. I know you think price is a bad hire... and I agree with you BUT look at our hires that have recently been made... Harmony... Good, Bruder... Good, Soccer Coach... Good. so just be patient. He may be a good hire.. we cant throw him under the bus yet... I mean he got more out of this team that PK could have ever dreamed.. So time will tell if you are right or not.. I sure hope not but time will tell.

I'm sorry...North is dead on!! Why did we even have to hire Harmony? Because Tidwell bailed for UTPA!! In years past that wouldn't even remotely be considered by ANY SANE PERSON!!! Now, we are so far down the rung we hire washed up cheater beaters without even doing a search. It is a damn embarrassment!!! I don't give a damn if we got to the final four!! WE SHOULD NOT HAVE HIRED TIC PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what do you mean he got more out of this team than Knight could have ever dreamed? First of all, if the kids played harder for Price than Knight that is not on the coach that speaks of a total lack of character from the kids. Secondly, he won a game...big damn deal!!

At the press conference were some major TV,radio and arena advertisers and sponsors of Lamar athletics.With Texas reducing university funding over the years it was a positive to see a number of business leaders at the press conference who count on attendance and listeners to justify their advertising and sponsorship dollars.That is also a factor Ad's have to consider that fantasy Ad's sometimes aren't considering .

And those same people (probably more) wouldn't have been there with a different hire?

Lonely Tailgater ?@LonelyTailgater 3h

Because we have zero class and we want to be are the laughing stock of the country. If the SLC was smart they would kick us out of the conference.