Lamar on APR Probation?

KABrother88

Mix one part disadvantaged athlete and blend with disinterested leadship (aka Bob's bouncing baby boy Pat) and as curran said there's blame enough for all. But, it's the leadship that sets the tone. As stated in an earlier post Coach Rock made the effort to get his players on the right track. It can certainly be done but it begins with a head coach who cares about his players and knows how to set them up to succeed. If you put a ratio on it I'd say it's 70-30 Coach to player. Maybe even 80-20 because the kid needs to put up an effort but without motivation and leadership does everyone put the onus on an 18 year old kid who has probably rarely, if ever, been self motivated in his school work? It's real easy to blame the kid but without a head coach who makes education a priority why would the kid care? It's just human nature to take the path of least resistance and with a rudderless ship the kid is likely to go all Alfred E Newman and say, "What, me worry?". The more I find out about the PK regime the more pissed I get. To think he got paid a huge sum of money for screwing the Lamar pooch is downright sickening.

I just LOVE the term 'disadvantaged'! It is a get out of jail free card? Apparently if you are 'disadvantaged' you don't have to learn to read, write, speak, add or subtract. Apparently if you are disadvantaged 1+1 doesn't equal 2? And if you are 'advantaged' everything is given to you. You are just naturally smart and grades are just given to you.

Obviously you have never been a volunteer tutor for athletes.There are many different issues involved individual to every athlete.Some professors are understanding when you miss a lot of class for games and some aren't .I know a lot of very successful professionals who needed tutoring in Algebra and Statistics.I am sure some of you remember all the fun of doing quadratic equations.The bottom line is just like some athletes are fully "coached up" when they get to college some students aren't fully "coached up academically." Many kids parents couldn't afford Kumon,Mathnasium,SAT prep classes etc. Some universities provide laptops for away game trips and some don't.Coaches at Duke or North Carolina can recruit students with ability,character and academics.At Lamar and many other schools to get BCS ability you sometimes take a student with character or academic challenges.If you choose to sign such a student you know you need to provide extra support.This isn't a one shoe fits all discussion.

I grant you Cardinalrule that using the word disadvantaged may have been an unfortunate choice of words. But, have you ever listened to an interview with Adam "Pacman" Jones? The guy can barely conjugate a verb correctly when he speaks. It makes you wonder how in the world he made it through school--until you consider how athletes are routinely given a free pass through school because they can play sports well. There are a lot of athletes who go to class just to say hi to their girl friends. If kids come from a broken home or extreme poverty or have parents who have their own issues with drugs or alcohol to care what their kids are doing where do they get direction in their lives? Colin Cowherd has pointed out many examples of players who are dumpster fires as people that come from an unstable home life compared to players who come from a stable home lives and you can see the former is the definition of "disadvantaged". Dez Bryant is an example of a guy who had a horrific home life, one so bad he didn't exactly know where he would even sleep, and the light came on and he knew if he didn't make grades he couldn't play football, graduate high school or go to college. With the help of teachers at his high school he studied his ass off and was helped with meals and a place to sleep from time to time and he made grades and earned his graduation from high school. His athletic ability got him his scholarship to Oklahoma St but it was his self motivation that got him through high school. That level of self motivation with the dumpster fire his home life was and is rare. Bryant isn't the sharpest tack in the box but he's maturing and with the Cowboys player assistance program Dez is becoming quite a good man. My point here and in my previous post was not to excuse players from their responsibility but to point out that without help players can be lost on many levels including their GPA. The old Bill Clinton adage about it takes a community to raise a child is in many ways true. A kid without guidance is a rudderless ship and that's what appears to be the case for players under the PK regime. Coach Rock gave his kids a fighting chance and hopefully Coach Price will too. I so agree with baller's post from start to finish.

About five years ago my son visited his good friend who played football at an SEC school.It was summer and his friend was in class or football related activities from 8 AM to 9 PM every weekday.The NCAA acknowledges that even with 20 hour a week practice limits athletics take 40 or more hours out of a students week.Then there are injuries to be treated and aches and pains that disrupt sleep and study.Believe me it can be tough studying at night after hot,intense and long practice.The more you know about this and the more it is personal to those you know the more understanding you become to some ,not all,student athletes challenges.

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2014/04/30/hilliard-gone-lamar-on-probation/

There's a link to an ESPN article about 8 schools in the NCAA tourney that don't meet the APR standard:

Teams in this year's field that would be subject to NCAA-imposed sanctions that could keep them from postseason play are: Cal Poly (925), Coastal Carolina (921), North Carolina Central (903), Oklahoma State (928), Providence (915), Texas Southern (900), Connecticut (897) and Oregon (918).

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2014/story/_/id/10623731/eight-ncaa-tournament-teams-fall-graduation-standard-study-shows

Isn't Hilliard transferring to North Carolina Central?

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch! The team you are sending your 6'9", 225 post player to announces that they are on APR probation. Zack Hollis from Antelope Valley College will bring a 3.5 GPA without any supervision. He will graduation from Lamar University with a degree, help bring the APR back in compliance. He's quiet, first to arrive to practice and last to leave. He is the kind of person/player that will make the team as a whole better. Hope Lamar can keep enough talent around him during this tough period to be competitive. He's used to winning.

a

The popular athletic director at Antelope knows this area well as he played for McNeese,was an assistant coach there who helped recruit Joe Dumars and was head coach at Southeastern Louisiana.Newton Chellette was also a very successful basketball coach for many years at Antelope.Chellette's experience and advice should help Zach.

Newton Chelette is the type of contact that is invaluable for a coach to have.He also is a Division 1 mens basketball official who has officiated NIT tournament games.He once officiated a game I played in and thankfully we won.

I have seen releases on Lamar and HBU APR issues but not Central Arkansas.It would make sense as their players are contacting various coaches I know .UNO had a unique period of time that led to an 827 APR from 2008-09 to 2011-12.With the APR requirements rising from 900 to 930 over two or four year periods I wonder where that leaves UNO.Their mens and womens teams were ineligible for tournament play last year due to APR issues last year.The NCAA acknowledged UNO had a unique set of circumstances but nonetheless turned down their appeal last year.

It's official. I had calculated in a post a while back that we'd end up with a 913 APR based on getting 42 of 46 possible points. As it turns out, it's better than I feared: our 2012-13 APR was actually 939. I'm assuming they gave us credit for Osas graduating and perhaps Webb/Muepo transferring with good enough grades.

Basically, though, we're still behind the 8-ball. Our four-year average is only 915. That means we need a very good 975 score this past season if we want to be eligible next year and avoid yet more penalties (the bar next year is a four-year average of 930). And, of course, remember that we can get punished for transfers--and we've got four of them. Nimrod already should be OK as he has an offer from another D-1 school. But, if my estimates are right--and they might not be--we can only lose one "point" and keep our APR above 975 next year. That means Mitchell and the other two transfers not only need to remain eligible, they need 2.6 GPAs and (I believe) need to transfer to four-year colleges. Absolutely everyone else needs to remain eligible.

The Southland picture as a whole is even uglier: Lamar, Houston Baptist, Central Arkansas, and UNO are all on probation, all ineligible for the postseason, and all losing practice time. UNO is the only school in any sport to be on "Level 3" probation, which just looks ugly as hell--"Level Three penalties include all Level One and Two penalties, plus a menu of potential additional penalties. These can include financial aid reductions; additional practice and contest restrictions, coach-specific penalties (including game and recruiting restrictions); restricted access to practice for incoming students who fall below certain academic standards; restricted membership; and potential multi-year bans on postseason competition." A&M-Corpus is lucky not to be on probation--they snuck in under the "two year average of 940" rule, which is going away next year. Meanwhile, their four year average is 910--meaning they have to have a nearly perfect 990 to reach the benchmark next year. Sam Houston barely avoided it as well, with an on-the-number 930. Central Arkansas and HBU's numbers are so bad it's going to be impossible for them to be eligible next year barring a waiver.

It wouldn't be impossible for half the conference to be ineligible for the post-season next year. Unreal in a world where not a single Southeastern Conference basketball or football program is even in real danger of being on probation despite the fact half the players in the conference couldn't spell "SEC" if you spotted them the "S" and "E". And Kentucky's 2012-13 APR is 1000. Really. Nice job you're doing there, NCAA. *rolls eyes*

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/inthecards/2014/05/14/lamar-apr-scores-released/

Multi-year rates for 2012-2013:

Basketball: 915

Football: 923

Baseball: 958

Women's Basketball: 966

Softball: 943

Men's Cross Country: 949

Men's Golf: 985

Men's Tennis: 991

Men's Track (Indoor): 951

Men's Track (Outdoor): 957

Women's Cross Country: 952

Women's Golf: 989

Women's Soccer: 964

Women's Tennis: 983

Women's Track (Indoor): 956

Women's Track (Outdoor): 956

Volleyball: 949

Only 8 teams will be eligible for the conference basketball tournament in Katy .Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word are still transition to D1 programs and not eligible for NCAA tournament play.If a team faces their second consecutive year of postseason ineligibility and averages a 950 over the previous two years it can regain eligibility.UNO I hear got a waiver ,in part, because the NCAA tries not to make a program ineligible two years in a row if they show positive progress.Also transition programs like UNO from lower divisions face many unique issues .